Frank Lower's Multisport
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 06m 23s
Overall Rank = 370/683
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 26/36
Pre-race routine:

The Full Started @ 7 and the half @ 8:30 We wanted to get a good parking spot and Pam was volunteering so we got there a little after 5am, a little earlier than usual for an 8:30 start time. Whole weat toast with peanut butter before we left the house, a bananna about an hour before race start and a gu just before getting the wet suit ipped up. watched the full start and made a solid plan on taking the short route on the swim course unlike most of the full athletes followed the buoys and added a little length.
Event warmup:

No warm up just tried to stay relaxed and got into the water about 8 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 42m 5s
  • 2100 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

After the last buoy before the exit I kept going left real bad other than that I was very happy with my overall navigation, sighting and the plan I decided on for making it as short as I could by taking a straight line to the furthest buoy's.
What would you do differently?:

Start back a little farther in the pack, do a better job of pacing myself ie not goign so hard.
Transition 1
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

A little bragging but I rocked this transition, found bag, put helmet on put wet suit, goggles, cap in bag, grabbed sun screen girl gave her a big long slobbering kiss, handed her my bag and was off. Snapped the helmet and noticed it the strap was twisted and unbcikled it while running to bike and straightned it out grabbed bike and ran up the yellow carpet road to the mike mount area.

Kiss the SunScreen girl a little longer and run faster to make up for it.

One thing i did I was very happy about I wrote my # on the bag in BIG red #'s and made it a lot easier to spot
Bike
  • 3h 41m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I was happy with the bike, I've improved but still have a lot of room left.

Tried to say something to most of the volunteers and officers. Thanked a lot of the girls for being out and improving the sceenery. :)

On one downhill with a 90 degree turn a couple of miles from T2 I was going pretty fast and yelled AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH as I leaned into the turn, the officer LOL'd out LOUD. It always makes me happy when I can put a smile on someones face, laugh with me or at me,,,,,, it's all good.

Take it a little easier on the first 30 miles I guess, my plan was to push the bike and I did, no regrets.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Had bike grabbers was very happy how that all went, again I rocked the transition, I decided to go with no socks and am pleased I did, I do a lot on regular basis to toughen up my feet and felt confident with the shoes I was using I would be fine and I was. Today I have a very small little place that rubbed but never noticed it yesterday during the run.

Not stop at the porta potty in the transition area, but I had to pee since I first got on the bike.:)
Run
  • 2h 36m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

When I got off the bike and started the run I felt about like I expected, usually my run legs come back within a a mile or two,,,,,,,,,,,,, NOT today, at about mile 12 after a lot of walking breaks I was able to muster up a final push.

I started my training plan in July with very little base. In june, a long run for me was 5 miles. I really thought my running legs would be able to handle pushing on the bike but I was wrong. No regrets it was a great day. My legs felt like my muscles were just plain fatigued and/or had a lot of lactic acid I tried to do the best i could and did.
Post race
Warm down:

Pam gave me a beer, a nice frosty cold Fat Tire beer, drank that then got the bike and came home and fixed clams and garlic bread, dran another beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of base when i started the training program in July, I probably should have done some more intense workouts about 3 weeks out instead of backing off then.

Event comments:

I didn't eat at the race, but there was a buffet with tons of food, drinks beer, refreshmetns, beer, free massage, beer.

This is one of the best organized races with some of the best swag, a pasta dinner Friday night, pancake breakfast Saturday am, great food after the race and an awards banquet on Sunday moring with lots of food, No free beer at the awards banquet though.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:05 | 2100 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 18/36
Overall: 311/683
Performance: Average
Started pretty close to the front with 900 of my closest friends, normally the full contact swim doesn't bother me but this time I pushed a little to hard
Suit: Full Pro Motion
Course: Clockwise loop, deep water start, and a dock exit, my knee was hurting on the bike and even more this moring when I woke up,,,, I'm pretty sure I banged it on the dock exiting,,,,,, I'm glad that's what it is.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:41:27 | 56 miles | 15.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/36
Overall: 353/683
Performance: Good
I pushed pretty good on the bike, even though the average may not show it.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: It's the SilvermAn, it's suppose to hard, hilly, windy and painfull, no disapointment this year.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:36:25 | 13.1 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/36
Overall: 412/683
Performance: Bad
I wanted to get my HR at about 155 to 158 for most of the run and pick it up the last few miles. I felt like my LTH had gone from 163 to about 151 and tried to adjust my running accordingly. This was the most painful run I have ever done.
Course: It's SilvermAn, it's HILLY, LOTS of HILLY
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-08 4:23 PM

User image

Subject: Silverman - Half Iron

Picture # 3 is of Macca goign up Sister # 2 in 1st place. Courtesy VegasDiver

Edited by crusevegas 2010-11-08 4:26 PM

2010-11-08 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3201588

User image

Subject: RE: Silverman - Half Iron

Great job Jim!!   I didn't know racers got to make out with volunteers though, definitely racing this next year to get me some! 

2010-11-08 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3201649

User image

ChrisM - 2010-11-08 3:05 PM

Great job Jim!!   I didn't know racers got to make out with volunteers though, definitely racing this next year to get me some! 

Sometimes , it's Vegas Baby!!

Thanks Chris.

2010-11-09 1:32 AM
in reply to: #3201660

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Jim!  Nice work!  I forgot you were going to be out there untill we cross paths by the district!  I needed a smiling face with that 2 miles to go! 

Great job.
2010-11-09 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

It sure is easy to fry the legs on that bike ride........ nice job pushing through it!  Very nice transitions too.... fast even though you stop to kiss people.  Well done!

2010-11-09 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Great race - you really killed it out there, and did it with style.  Awesome work!!

2010-11-10 1:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-11-11 7:36 AM

Thanks everyone. Last night was the first night I didn't wake up with sore legs, going out for a short easy run with the SunScreen girl this morning.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Half Iron Rss Feed