General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cannondale R1000 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-09 4:06 PM

Subject: Cannondale R1000

I was in a local Bike Shop today.  I told him my budget of 1000 dollars.  I showed me a Cannondale R1000.  He quoted me $1000.00.  He said he was willing to swap out different components to get it properly fitted to me for no extra charge.   I looked at the bike and noted some names on different parts of the bike.  The bars and head (not sure what its actually called) were Richey.  The Brakes/Shifter were tiagra the rear derailer and brakes were Ultegra.  I didn't see the name on the pedal or front derailer.  He told me he switched the wheels out with a slightly lesser quality sadly not sure which one they are.  I cant remember what year he said it was but that it was a new and a closeout of the last year they stopped making them until this year when they brought the design back.  I am fairly ignorant about bikes and that is alot of money to dish out what are yalls opinion, is this a good deal or is it priced too high or what?

2010-11-09 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3203481

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cannondale R1000
Cornbred - 2010-11-09 5:06 PM

I am fairly ignorant about bikes and that is alot of money to dish out

No offense, but if I'm about to make a $1000 purchase, whether it be a bike, TV, etc., I do my homework.  There's no problem with coming on here and asking opinions about different bikes, but you really do some research and get a lot more familiar with what you're looking at.  There's a ton of info here as well as on a number of other sites.  You just have to look for it.

Oh yeah, and of course...Does it fit you?

Edited by Crazy Pirate 2010-11-09 6:41 PM
2010-11-09 10:04 PM

No offense taken.  You are exactly right there is a TON of information out there to help educate or confuse myself concerning bikes and components.  I can find Tiagra, Ultegra, and Dura Ace parts all within the same price range.  I can find reviews that say each of them are great but I can also find reviews that say they are all junk.  I have not used any of these bikes or any of the components on them.   I can and have talked to different local bike shops about the components and have been given different opinions there as well.  The fanciest bike I have ever riden was a mongoose mountain bike that I have learn (since doing my research) was way too small for me.  Untill I purchase my bike and begin to have experiences of my own with the different bikes and components I will never be able to form my own opinion and will have to rely on others experiences and opinions.  Thats why I posted here.  Most people on this sight are not here trying to sell anything, they are here for the love or fun of the sport and will be able to give me an unbiased opinion of the bike.  They may have had certain experiences with component combo's or point out something I should inquire about further with the bike shop.   I also realize there will be varying opinions but the information they provide could help me make that decision on buying the bike.  Oh and yes it fits. 
2010-11-10 4:10 PM

User image

Regular
SE Wisconsin
That doesn't seem like a bad price to me, but sounds like we don't know the year, or the component makeup.  I have a 2005 R1000 with all Ultegra components that was somewhere between $1700 and $1800 new if that gives any kind of reference point.
2010-11-10 5:54 PM

Thanks TRG695.  Well I got the year on the bike, its an 06.  I also got thru to a super nice lady at Cannondale.  She informed me that the bike originally sold for 2000.00 when it was released.  I'm thinking I am going to buy it.   A side note Cannondale people are pretty darn awesome.  Thanks again man
2010-11-10 7:14 PM

New user
I have to tell you, I picked up a CAAD 8  with full Ultegra last year for $850 from a lady who was selling hers and her husbands and I absolutely love it! I do alot of fast group rides and it is stiff and fast. You will not be disappointed! That is a race proven frame that has stood the test of time. You do feel more of the road but I like being connected. Best of luck, and you can always upgrade as you go. Best of luck!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cannondale R1000 Rss Feed