Enviro Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 27s
Overall Rank = 40/475
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/47
Pre-race routine:

Local race so I was able to sleep in my bed. Got up at 5AM. Quick shower. Toast and peanut butter for breakfast and then packed the car and left with brad & kristin.

Overall rank excludes relays, but overall rank per dicipline do not (I love data manipulation but not that much.)
Event warmup:

Setup transition, stretched and ate a powerbar.
Swim
  • 13m 57s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was technically clean and "green" but it smelled foul. Not sure what happened but I was expecting a much faster time. Part of my higher expectations was based off my performance at Diamond in the Rough...I think their mile swim wasn't a mile and therefore I expected a faster time. Drafted for maybe 100 - 150yds..first time I did any drafting. Navigation seemed ok..in hindsight, kinda felt like I never got into a smooth rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

No major issues. I am happy w/ this time while wearing a wetsuit.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 47m 33s
  • 17 miles
  • 21.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Hardest I've ever pushed it on the bike. I knew the course would be fast and I knew I had to push the bike throughout to have a good finish. Had 1 1/2 bottles of gatorade, two servings of Hammer Gel and one endurlyte pill.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

No issues.

Nothing.
Run
  • 30m 50s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

If Tim could run faster, Tim could finish so much higher. At first glance, I think was 3rd in my AG to start the run. Wish I had I known that at the time. I think by running lower HR runs during training that it has gotten me into the habit of running slower instead of pushing it more often. You think I'd be able to stay motivated for a race..who knows. I kinda remember being comfortable during the run and only once or twice feeling the onset of any cramping. I think I need to push the run harder. Plus once I knew that brad was going to beat me I think I unintentially put it on cruise control.

Mix in at least one hard run/brick per week during training.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much besides a little bit of stretching and lots of water. Also had some trail mix and 1/2 a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Below average swim and another slow run. Luckily, my transitions and bike beat their respective goals so i was able to beat by pre-race goal by a whopping 3 seconds!

Event comments:

The actual race itself was good. I had no issues with the course and it was fun/fast.

There was only post-race snacks and no real post-race event/food. There was no sponsor's goodies in the packet since there were really no sponsors. Body marking was on your fists and they did it during packet picket (i.e. the day before for us).

I liked the self-selected wave start although it takes away from racing others in your AG since they may have started earlier/later. Wasn't an issue in this race since there was no AG body marking anyways.

Last updated: 2005-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:57 | 880 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/47
Overall: 35/475
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless Zoot suit
Course: Started at the Saint Joe's boathouse in teh Schuylkill River. Header up river, then across and then diagonal back to finish off the triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:33 | 17 miles | 21.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/47
Overall: 69/475
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops clockwise. Saint Joe's boathouse, to Art Museum, up to Falls Bridge and back to Saint Joe's boathouse. Very flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:50 | 04 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/47
Overall: 124/475
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back from Saint Joe's boathouse to the beginning of Boat House Row. Course had a lot of shade and was mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Give it the ol' Philly Tri

2005-08-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: #212985

User image

Regular
West Hartford
Subject: RE: Give it the ol' Philly Tri
Nice race, some speed work bricks and you'll crank through the run with Weds. I wish I could run as fast as you two.
2005-08-02 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
great race. i think tim can run faster. i don't do much speedwork, but i do push it at the race. i am on the brink of cramping up the entire run. i don't think people push themselves very hard. kristin gives me a hard time because my race photos for the run generally look like someone is whipping me.
2005-08-03 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Thanks and thanks.

Craig, we wish we could swim as fast as you

Brad, you still kill me....I am going to tell kristin on ya. I haven't run a pace like yours since HS...and those were 5k races and not tri's.

I definitely need to push it harder during the run even though I had a cpl near cramps also. part of it is definitely mental.
2005-08-03 9:53 PM
in reply to: #214071

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Oh ok...just re-read your post...now I get it....I can run faster that I did...as oppose to run faster that you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Give it the ol' Philly Tri Rss Feed