Howard County Striders
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 41m 50s
Overall Rank = 480/485
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

After registering for the 5K in previous years and having it cancelled due to ice, this year I considered upping the distance since I had 4 half marathons under my belt (& PR’ing 38 minutes between my first and 4th one. I got talked into the metric marathon by one of my running buddies. I woke up race morning pissed off because I had an upset stomach all night due to my pumpkin spice latte the evening before being made with milk instead of soy milk as I ordered. I was too busy at work to even notice the taste difference. Race started at 8:15 and I got there at 8, eating dry bagel on the way to calm my stomach, and had to hustle to find my race partners with less than five minutes before the gun.

Event warmup:

None. The first couple of miles was my warm up.
Run
  • 3h 41m 50s
  • 16.28 miles
  • 13m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This 26.2K race had a 3.5 hour time limit. Our goal was to finish in that time and figured at our pace we will be dragging in with the sag wagon. Started off easy for the first few miles knowing exactly when those hills are going to try and kill us. My running group was out in full force supporting us on the course. One officer was directing us on a wrong turn off Dunloggin. I refused and told him that was the old course and we had to go straight. He eventually believed us but he had already sent people up the hill. It would have been a very hill road that added an extra half mile. He was sincerely apologetic and even drove by later still apologizing. Then came Toll House Road at which point I question why on earth did I listen to Melinda in doing this race. It did sound like a good challenge at the time and I was excited about it. But what the hell was I thinking? If I can get to mile 10 I will be fine because the worst would be over. At mile 11, the sag wagon wasn’t too far behind. He moved ahead of us on trails like he was leading sheep to the slaughter. He reminded me of the swag bus on the MCM course like grim reapers waiting to pick you up.

At mile 14 I thought, is this what it feels like to hit the wall? I wasn’t sore or aching just tired. More of my running group was out there to help me along and cheer. I didn’t want to run anymore but I didn’t have any choice. Especially when I passed the injured “slow Kenyan” at 14.5 miles (sign on his back said so). I gave him thumbs up and said less then 2 miles to go. He responded, “Sure, I have been hearing that for 5 damn miles!” I swore honesty and showed him my Garmin read out. Then I got a big smile.

At mile 15, I didn’t think I had absolutely anything left but my group kept pushing me on and I dug deep and I mean really, really deep to pick up the pace for that last mile. 26.2K is loooooong. I could not imagine wanting to do 26.2 miles. I didn’t hit my goal but I was close. Better yet, other than tired legs, I wasn’t achy or sore after the race. A day later, slightly, I mean slightly sore legs and that’s hit. I feel great. Maybe a marathon is in my future.

What would you do differently?:

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched, hydrate and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing.

Last updated: 2010-08-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:41:50 | 16.28 miles | 13m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 480/485
Performance: Good
Course: Very hilly course but running thru the neighborhoods are nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No