General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 51m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45/50
Age Group Rank = 39/54
Pre-race routine:

Arrived Thursday evening and took someones advice and got a good nights sleep, since past experience told me i would night sleep well pre-race night. Good advice! Race day morning ate begal, banana and shake, stretched and headed to T1 from near by Kure Beach at 4:30.
Event warmup:

It was pretty cold, wind was brisk out of the north. Warm up consisted of shivering on the trolly, then again in the beach hut. Watching the sun come up was a great way to start the day.
Swim
  • 1h 52m
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

When you finish laughing at this time I'll say it is an improvemnt over L-ville. And, if you stayerd in the water long enough you did get soem help from the current eventually. But over all it was a disappointment after hearing all the world class times from previous years. Also, I recommend the neoprene cap and gloves. the booties did not help keep the feet warm and i feel they hinder the kick a bit.
What would you do differently?:

First I would appologize to all who keep trying to improve my swim. but really this was ok for me, got out of the water, not too cold, not worn out. The gloves and extra neoprene cap made a huge difference.

Transition 1
  • 13m 18s
Comments:

A 400 yrd trot to the gear and tents. Hot Tip: Stash shoes near the swim exit. A little slow but i wanted to make sure i had it all together for the bike.

move a bit faster i guess.
Bike
  • 6h 32m
  • 112 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty solid ride, the day was perfect, the wind much lighter than training. I wanted to get off the bike and be able to handle the run, after the fiasco at IM Louisville, where the heat and hills overcooked me. I stuck to the nutrition plan, and most importantly i let the wind push me along the last 30+ miles and cut 40 bpm off my heart rate. So pretty much i got an active rest for 90 mins or so before the marathon.

I think i could have pushed the bike a bit harder, but i wanted to finish and that was most important.
Transition 2
  • 10m 33s
Comments:

Full gear change again, dry socks rule! I had many hours ahead on me so spend a few mins to make it comfortable. It is important to not have a nagging little thing like wet socks or the wrong shorts to pick at your mind for the marathon.

Grab some more food on the way out.
Run
  • 4h 49m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Hit the exit and let it rip. the best thing that happened to me was hittign the causeway bridge after 1/2 mile. Forced me to walk and get my run undercontrol. Hit the top of the bridge and took off. I didnt come to a full stop again until i hit the bridge again at mile 12. Clocked a ver good 1/2 mary tiem and headed back out. Stuck to teh plan of walkign the 'hills'.
But, the knees that had been tweaking startign at mile 3, began barking at mile 20. And at mile 23 when i saw my wife and mom again my head started to listen to the screaming from my knees. I struggled to finish the last 5k at a walk/trot pace. But there were no tears, this mary was 5 mins fater than my only standalone marathon (Chicago '09). I was giddy when i crossed the mat under 14 hours.

Knee pain took me off my game late in the marathon, all in it was the only bad thing to happen on the day so i was due. Training more on hard surfaces may have prepared me for it.
Post race
Warm down:

hugged my wife and thanked her for getting me to that point. Inhaled 4 slices of pizza, which at the time tasted like the best pizza i had ever eaten.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee trouble late. But overall i have no complaints after missing the time cutoff at mile 14 in IM L-Ville, i was determined to finish.

Event comments:

Not just the best because i finished. this settign is great, the beach is fantastic, the bike course is flat but not boring and i enjoyed the run through the downtown area. Its size relative to an IM made it very enjoyable and there is a lot for spectators to do while the bikers are off in the wilderness.

Last updated: 2010-11-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:52:00 | 4224 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 52/54
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Mostly straight north in Banks Channel. Low tide was 10 mins prior to start, not ehough to generate a current until much later.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 13:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:32:00 | 112 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/54
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop, nearly all flat. Over all the roads were good, one stretch before you get back on 421 was rough for about 15 miles. Well marked and monitored I thought. Wind was from the north and i let it help on the final 30+ miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:49:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/54
Performance: Good
Course: Double loop, 2 bridges, downtown and park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-16 1:51 PM

Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2010-11-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3213574

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Congratulations on your race
2011-10-22 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3213574

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Enjoyed the RR.

Nice job to put Louisville behind ya & finish with a solid time cushion.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed