United States
Women's Running Magazine
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We got up at 5 and had some bagels. Headed down at 6 ish as we were staying right across the street from the start/finish.
Event warmup:

nada
Run
  • 3h 32m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I did IMFL 2 weeks before this race. I wanted to do it but I didn't want to race it. My freind Melissa (AKA TriHardAthena) decided 11th hour she was going to go ahead and try this despite the fact she was in a bad car accident 3 weeks ago. I told her I would run with her. Plan was to do what ever Melissa wanted.

We started out with a 1:1 run:walk and we stuck to this for the most part. I had a bottle of my accelerade/lava salt mix which lasted me about 5 miles. Ihave to say this is a super nice course and I would highly reccomend the race. We went down past the vinoy and out towards the first part of the St. Anthony's run course. over the bridge but then we went straight. Melissa seemed to know everyone on the course. We just kept to our 1:1. Back past the Vinoy and the we did an out and back on the pier bringing us to 8 miles. Melissas friend were on the pier and took pictures. I told her stupid medical stories to keep her distracted.

She asked me if my feet hurt..yes...she was worried that it was because we were going slowly...nope its because I did an ironman 2 weeks ago. We headed to dwontown and around a little lake. I ran ahead so I could use a porta potty. I gotta say by this time things had settled to a point where you are with people of similar speed and ability and I got some nasty looks running by people at a 8 minute pace to get to the bathroom. Sorry ladies but whenyou gotta go you gotta go!!! I waited for Missy and got some water and then we were headed towards Tropicana field. We were both kind of confused as to where people were going. Turns out the routed us THRU Trop field which was totally amazing!!! We got to run the field!!! Definately the highlight of the day. took lots of pictures

We had less than 2 miles left and Missy was starting to hurt but she was such a trooper and wanted to pushit the last 1.1 miles in. We went to a 2:1. With less than a 1/4er mile to go her husband was in the middle of the road on one knee with a dozen roses. SO SWEET!! Missy was the envy of all the girls around!!! We walked a bit the ran the last .1 and DONE!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nada. It was a good day.
Post race
Warm down:

walked back to the hotel

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was not about me it was about Missy. It was a fun day.

Event comments:

Good friends good times. 2 weeks post IMFL I didn't want to race so running with Missy was the perfect way to do a race I wanted to do without putting any pressure on myself. She rocked it out. Thanks to Missy and steve for letting me stay with them and Missy for letting me run with her!! It was a good day :)

Last updated: 2010-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
03:32:20 | 13.1 miles | 16m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Out and about thru St. Pete
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-11-21 7:19 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Women's Half Marathon

2010-11-21 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3220563

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Women's Half Marathon
Awesome!  Way to support your friend.
2010-11-22 12:41 PM

User image

Sounds like you had a great time supporting a good friend, way to go!
2010-11-22 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Sounds like a wonderful time with Melissa.  Sometimes it is funner to stay with a friend than to do your own thing.  
2010-11-22 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats Sue!

Sounds like a great way to celebrate fitness and help a friend
2010-11-22 5:50 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
You win the roses for yesterday too. Sounds like a nice time. Must make you feel good that you can just do a spur of the moment half mary!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Women's Half Marathon Rss Feed