General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Used Carbon Wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-22 8:30 AM

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
Subject: Buying Used Carbon Wheels
So what's your opinion on looking at buying used carbon race wheels off ebay?  I've heard some opinions that you're generally safe as long as the wheels have < 1000 miles and have never been crashed, while others say to stay far away and only buy new.  Of course, I can find much better deals on used wheels than with buying new.

What's your thoughts?  What's the chance of the wheel flying apart at high speed while shooting down a hill at 40mph? 

2010-11-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3221111

Veteran
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Buying Used Carbon Wheels
There's always a bit of risk regarding getting used stuff...but if you trust the person you're getting it from, and they treated the wheels well and never crashed them...I'm sure they'll last for many many many more miles.
2010-11-23 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Depends on your knowledge of cycling parts, IMO.

I have no problem with it.  The mileage may be a good idea for general purposes, but I wouldn't shy away from buying a set of wheels with 5k+ on them.  It just means that they will need to have been maintained with replacement wear parts, or I'll have to do it myself.

IMO, the premium that you are paying for carbon aerowheels are for the carbon itself.  If they are the main structural ring, then condition is obviously important.  (some of the older models were basically fairings)  However, the guts of a wheel are still just a wheel.  The quality and condition of the parts inside should be viewed the same whether its a disk, or a hipster aerospoke.  Smooth bearings and a crisp pawls... just my 2 cents.

As far as buying them from ebay, I still have no problems.  Just keep in mind that normal ebay "protocols" should be followed.  Import nothing, get as many photos as you can, no ratty cell phone pics or copied images "from the last auction", etc.

I happen to know the ebay identity of a major manufacturer that sells their returned sponsor goods and demos, as well as some occasional out of spec parts.  PM me if you'd like to know it.  I'm not eager to drop the name out for the world to see.  They don't advertise themselves as such and I'm respecting that. 
2010-11-23 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
jplotzke - 2010-11-22 9:30 AM What's the chance of the wheel flying apart at high speed while shooting down a hill at 40mph? 

Exactly the same as any other used wheel that you may buy.  Actually, it might be a little lower, since people tend to take better care of expensive stuff.   
2010-11-23 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3223090

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
matt3liv - 2010-11-23 11:03 AM
jplotzke - 2010-11-22 9:30 AM What's the chance of the wheel flying apart at high speed while shooting down a hill at 40mph? 

Exactly the same as any other used wheel that you may buy.  Actually, it might be a little lower, since people tend to take better care of expensive stuff.   

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I got nervous reading about possible microscopic carbon fractures in wheels that you can't see causing the wheel to quickly fall apart    I guess people would treat race wheels differently than their huffy cruiser bike 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Used Carbon Wheels Rss Feed