General Discussion Race Reports! » Gobbler Grind Marathon, Half-Marathon & 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gobbler Grind Marathon, Half-Marathon & 5k - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Overland Park, Kansas
United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 53s
Overall Rank = 1020/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 103/120
Pre-race routine:

Nothing really special. I woke up feeling like an elephant was sitting on my head, I had so much sinus pressure and pain in my head that I couldn't eat anything. I did manage to take a couple shots of honey/molassas and a banana, but nothing else.

It started cool and windy but getting warmed up was not a problem.
Run
  • 2h 24m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the race feeling really good considering I couldn't breath and my head felt like it was going to explode, but my legs felt as good as they ever had. I planned to run the first 3 or so miles with my wife who runs slower than I do mainly to keep her company and to make sure that I didn't go out to fast. This seemed to work and at the 5k mark, I gradually picked up the pace.

I held a pretty good pace, at least for me, until mile 6-7, the uphill. I slowed quite a bit and my HR kinda spiked, but recovered well after the hill. My legs still felt good, but I could tell that I wasn't drinking enough, but when I tried to drink, I could feel a side stitch working, so the rest of the race was a balance of trying to stay hydrated without getting a side cramp.

About mile 11 my legs were still fine, but my feet hurt, and I had to walk a few 30 second breaks. After seeing the gentleman at mile 12 getting CPR from paramedic, I kinda lost focus for a few minutes, thankfully, he survived.

I tried to finish strong, and tried to keep the pace up, but the balls of my feet hurt so much that I had to slow it down until the last 200 yrds which I ran as hard a I could.

What would you do differently?:

Being my first half marathon, I was happy to finish under 2:30, however I know I can do better.

I will be better prepared nutritionally next time, and do a much better job of hydrating while on the course. I think that continuing to build my base will help with keeping the HR down and pace up in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate a banana and orange as well as hydrated and stretched a little. Once I got home, had a huge glass of chocolate milk as a recover drink, continued to hydrate and had a nice meal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to run more and more often to continue to build base as well as getting the body used to the pounding of the distance.

Last updated: 2010-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:24:54 | 13.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/120
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The course was basically flat for the first 6 miles on a urban trail. At mile 7 there was a long (3/4 mile) hill followed by some rollers through mile 9. Mile 9 to 10 was basically all down hill the flat on the trails again to the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-11-25 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Olathe
Subject: Gobbler Grind Marathon, Half-Marathon & 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gobbler Grind Marathon, Half-Marathon & 5k Rss Feed