General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why are some tires better? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-02 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Why are some tires better?
I had to replace my tires. I have 650 wheels, so the selection isn't that great. My LBS had a higher quality tire that was about 60$US. He also had what he called a training tire for about 15$US. I'm converting $Canadian to $US so prices might be a little off. I ended up getting the training tires. I went for one ride since I got the new tires but I can't say I saw a huge difference.

So here is the question, what makes a high end tire better or quicker? What justifies the higher price? Will a high end tire make me significantly faster? or only marginally? If the latter, I will keep working on the engine for now. I am pretty happy of my improvements on the bike for now, but I know there is still quite a bit of work ahead before spending extra for marginal gains.

2005-08-02 2:56 PM
in reply to: #214210

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: Why are some tires better?
more expensive tires generally are lighter, and have better road feel, and sometines more traction or less rolling resistance, depending on the tire. They also often wear out more quickly. Unless you are pushing a tire to its limits, you might not be able to tell any difference.
2005-08-02 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, MA
From what I know, the difference in most bike components will almost always come down to weight and materials. This is also true for tires. For example, more expensive tires tend to use Kevlar beads instead of wire, which adds to the cost and reduces the weight of the tire.

For more information...
2005-08-02 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
I spent 50 CDN on an Armadillo tire and have to say I love it. It weighs a ton but is almost flat proof. Planning on getting one for the front too. The profile of the tire is cool too it reminds me a bit of motorcycle tires. I have 15 dollar continental touring tires on my Schwinn and it rides just fine too. I can't say that I see the difference between the two other than the weight and the puncture resistance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why are some tires better? Rss Feed