General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-07-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3619456

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Ironman Canada : Official Thread
Khyron - 2011-07-28 1:49 PM

I can't make it out to ride the course beforehand so I'm relying on you other Calgary peeps to give some comparisons

How does Richter compare to the climb out of Edworthy to Coach hill?

From Osoyoos out to the top of Richter's is 11k ish. starts off pretty flat, then you have 4 real climbs. There is a table between each one. Its no where as steep at doing Edworthy hill repeats.

if you've ever ridden Glen eagles hill, its like that. Its gets steep, but that flattens off a bit to catch your breath. I know you are a stronger rider than I, and you will have no problems with it.

2011-07-29 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3619246

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
MacMadame - 2011-07-28 12:26 PM

IMC is going to be my second IM. When I signed up for it, I hadn't even done one (though I was signed up for one), but a lot of people in my club do it so I figured it would be fun regardless.

Unfortunately, I am injured and so can't run very fast at all (it aggravates everything the faster I run) and haven't done much running this season. As a result, I tried a new strategy two weekends ago when I did Vineman 70.3. I went all out on the swim and bike and then walked the aide stations on the run and this approach worked quite well. I was worried I'd have an even harder time running if I pounded on the bike, but I actually had my best run yet!

I like your plan! My running is my strength, but my bike is weak. I've been spending too much time contemplating the "what if's" of this race. I'm putting together my race pace plan, but I know myself, and come race day will probably throw it out the window and go hard. I'm the kind of guy that likes to leave it all on the table - ignorance is truly bliss in my world! It's worked great in my previous races including 70.3's. I am also one of those people that can pound pedals and still feel good for the run. I just find myself being respectful of this distance. Maybe too respectful? I dunno.
2011-07-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3620487

Veteran
My buddy just did IMCDA.  He had a fantastic bike followed by a 4:45 marathon.  His open marathon is ~3:10.  Something doesn't add up.  Ride the bike well within your limits and you'll be a happy(er) runner.
2011-07-29 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3620747

I second that. It's better to have a little extra in the tank for the marathon than not enough. A 15 minute faster bike could mean a lot more lost time on the run. But it all depends on your own abilities, and everyone has to learn from experience what works best for them!!
2011-07-29 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3236259

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
Hey gang - how about for sh--- and giggles we put our BT handles on our gear somewhere? That way when you pass Jellyman on the bike or run, you'll know I went hard and blew up spectacularly! You can say: "Told you so"!

Actually one of my plans is to have my friends and family write encouragement on my old orange running cap, which I'm retiring after the race. I might even let them write on my wetsuit with a colourful paint pen. I plan on retiring the wetsuit too!

2011-07-30 12:16 AM
in reply to: #3621351

That's a good idea!! Except everyone will be passing me, not the other way around. I don't mind, though!

2011-07-30 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3621561

Veteran

A good weekend of workouts.

Yesterday:

1:30 min OW swim

After work today:

3hr run practicing pacing and 20 sec "walks" of aid stations every mile.

Sunday:

45 min swim

130 mile ride  w/ 5600 ft. of elevation gain

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43405168

40 min run @ race pace w/ neg split

I'm excited :-)

2011-07-30 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3621904

Good lord! I wish I could do that.
2011-08-01 3:39 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

What a good idea. I need to retire my wetsuit too and it would help my mom find me in the swim if it had stuff written on it in shiny ink.

I did Vineman Relay this weekend as the swimmer. I got to pace myself for 2.4 on the same course I just did 1.2 on. It was interesting to compare and, as I expected, I can't go out as hard as I did for the 1.2 for the 2.4 distance. I was doing okay for about 3/4 of the swim but then I faded at the end and lost about 4 minutes compared to my pace on the first lap. However, they did move the swim exit so it was farther down than two weeks ago. So maybe the course was longer. (I have no idea if they moved the turn around point to match.)

I already knew I couldn't pound the bike as hard so I'm working on a pacing plan for the IMC course. Anyone have any thoughts on where to pound and where to hold back? Besides the obvious of don't go crazy doing uphill. Wink

2011-08-01 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3623075

I always find that I make up time from my slow climbing by pedaling on the downhill rather than coasting. I also find I have to stay focused on easy sections rather than piddling around not taking advantage of free speed. I am riding the whole course on Wed so will see how it goes. From what I have read, the first section until Richter is fast, a lot of flat/downhill and often a tailwind. Then I heard after you hit yellow/twin lakes you have some nice descents back into Penticton.
2011-08-01 9:17 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Between richter and yellow lake are the rollers. 7 pretty good sized hills. A lot of attention is paid to the 2 major hills/climbs. These rollers are decent climbs if there is a headwind.As for pacing, don't go to fast out. I would guess People will come flying out of town to McLean creek and power up that hill. And then go to hard out to osoyoos. And power up richter. And hammer the rollers. And hammer yellow lake.I am really,really,really going to try hard not to do that! I have to think of it as a nice easy chezzy bike ride. I need to save me legs for the 42.2 after the ride.Really save ,y legs for the last 21k of that run.

2011-08-01 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I was thinking: fairly fast until Richter Pass, then take it easy going up it, through the rollers and over Yellow Lake and then balls-to-the-walls home to T2. Assuming I can still go that fast after Yellow Lake.

I'm doing an IMC sim route on Sat. that has climbs at all the right places but is much harder than IMC. There just isn't anything around here that has hills as high as IMC that also aren't about twice as steep. (The good thing about this route is that lots of people have done it and then IMC so that, whatever your moving time is here, you should typically be able to do IMC one hour faster.) I'll try that pacing strategy on it though and see what happens.

2011-08-03 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3624664

So I rode the course today with the exception of the out and back. If I had done that section I would have hit yellow lake just as they closed the road down for an hour. Anyway, I thought it was a beautiful course but challenging that's for sure. Plus all you see are signs for wine tasting, etc. so all i wanted to do was stop and sample!! Out of all the climbs that people talk about I thought Richter's was the easiest because it's like several climbs with flats or downhills in between. The first section of maclean creek has quite bumpy/chip coated type pavement on it which isn't the most fun. The "rollers" are not the type of Midwestern rollers that I am used to. Your momentum from the downhills doesn't carry you up too far so you have to work your way up them for several minutes. Yellow lake was, in my opinion, more difficult than Richter's based on the length of the approach, headwind, the fact that it comes late in the day, and it doesn't seem to have any big "breather" breaks on it like Richters. I did not enjoy myself between the rollers and the climb to yellow lake because the heat and the wind were quite draining. It was about +30 today (maybe a few degrees less at this section) but full sun. I was glad for all the fruit stands because I got to stop and get a huge bottle of water to refill my camelback and more sports drink. I drank probably about 3.5 liters of water and about 2.25 liters of sports drink, and six thick fruit leather bars. I probably could have used even more water-sports drink. Anyway I was glad I did it, even though I have come to the conclusion that I am going to be much slower than my IM last year. I think my fitness just isn't what it needs to be for a PR (what?! no PR after what will be a whole 8 weeks of training?!) so this year I am just going to try to relax, enjoy the day, and try not to get eliminated by the cutoff times!! I spent a good chunk of time today worrying about my speed, and that took the fun out of an otherwise lovely, scenic bike ride!!
2011-08-03 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3620391

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
TrevorC - 2011-07-29 8:17 AM
Khyron - 2011-07-28 1:49 PM

I can't make it out to ride the course beforehand so I'm relying on you other Calgary peeps to give some comparisons

How does Richter compare to the climb out of Edworthy to Coach hill?

From Osoyoos out to the top of Richter's is 11k ish. starts off pretty flat, then you have 4 real climbs. There is a table between each one. Its no where as steep at doing Edworthy hill repeats.

if you've ever ridden Glen eagles hill, its like that. Its gets steep, but that flattens off a bit to catch your breath. I know you are a stronger rider than I, and you will have no problems with it.

Hrm haven't done Glen Eagles but I've done Edworthy to Signal hill dozens and dozens of times. 

Think you need to check our logs - we're within minutes of each other on the bike. I'm observing your training very closely and if I finish the bike more than 5 mins ahead of you I'll know I've made a tactical mistake. You've also put more time in the saddle so I think you'll be happy. 

I did get a bit of a reality check this weekend while camping (no bike) - I went for a 18k run then a 25k run the next day in the 33 C temps and while I knew I'd be slower, it was still far worse than I expected. And the potty breaks, UGH!!!

My race day plan is shaping to be 1:30 total for swim/trans/potty, 5:50 or so bike, and anything under 4 for run. Longer if it's windy, or over 30. Doing Chaparal olympic this weekend after a Friday long bike so I'll narrow it down by then. 

Cracked my 310XT screen last night though dammit!!!!

2011-08-03 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
Hey spacebabe - nice report. Essentially the ride that I did. I like the attitude. This is my first IM, and the focus for me will be to enjoy the whole experience. It's tough for me to ignore my competitive nature and hammer, but I want my family to see me run or shuffle across the finish instead of crawling. I will return another day and hammer. So I've come up with my race plan that will hopefully get me there.

Swim: Hoping for a 1:20 but will be happy with touching land again!
T1: I'm quick here, so I don't expect any problems.
Bike: Will take my time and drink in the day. 6 hours? Who knows. How long do I have?
T2: After getting in my run gear, I will saunter over to Salty's and have some wings and beers. Watch the pros finish, and cheer you guys on! Once it's dark I will head out for the run. Cooler then!
Run: Hope to hit the turnaround in 1:45 depending on how many beers and pounds of ribs I've put down!
At the turnaround I will probably meet family over at Tickleberries for a quick cone.
I plan to finish the run running and hope to hear those magic words from Steve King!!!

Anybody want to join me?
2011-08-03 11:29 PM
in reply to: #3628126

Lol awesome. I would join you but don't think I'd want to get up and run after all that! When I did the Paris marathon back in '04, they were serving little 1 oz. cups of wine and pastries at the last aid station. I made the mistake of indulging in the wine and am surprised I made it to the finish line standing upright!!I will probably really piddle around on the bike. Last year I overdid it, didn't pay attention to eating and drinking, and ended up frying my legs and making my belly guts very unhappy. I spent the "run" alternating between unsuccessfully trying to vomit and speed walking. I am probably going to have to physically stop at aid stations and force myself to drink before proceeding. Apparently I'm blonde (it's a joke I have no issues with blondes!) and can't do two things at once.

2011-08-04 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
Downloaded my race package info today. 25 pages long!
2011-08-06 7:01 PM

I ran 30 km today! Probably not as much as some of you run to prepare, but it's the longest training run I have ever done! The only times I have run longer were in races.
2011-08-06 10:23 PM

User image

Champion
MA

When I did IMC in '09 a BT friend suggested I ride that last bit of the bike course from top of yellow lake back into town before the race. I did and it really helped me come race day.  I know what the terrain was like and felt more confident descending. I had a rough bike and knowing last ~10 miles were down hill helped me mentally a lot.

Best way to pace an Ironman bike is to keep even effort throughout. Many or most triathletes ride up hills to hard especially at the base of the hills.

Couple pointers from my experience in '09...

They handed out chips but no strap other than plastic thing you could use; bring your chip holder if you have one

Much smaller IM village so less vendors than US based IMs; merchandise was priced similar to US IMs; local bike shop carries most everything you need and will do any bike work you need quickly

Once you get into body marking athletes are separated from spectators so I found that early pre IM time to be lonely as I didn't know very many people racing

Check drink they are serving on the course in '09 it was different than US based IMs...less sodium as it was normal Gatorade instead of Gatorade Endurance. On the run they had real Pepsi instead of generic Sam's club cola which was heavenly.

Great location, great venue, lots of fantastic beaches with super facilities for you and your family, super town support

2011-08-07 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3632178

User image

Expert
Northern CA

spacebabe - 2011-08-06 5:01 PM I ran 30 km today! Probably not as much as some of you run to prepare, but it's the longest training run I have ever done! The only times I have run longer were in races.

Hey, I ran an hour without having to take a walk break today! LOL

The longest I have run in a single training session is 1:45 and 8.25 miles. I had really hoped to be able to run 2 hours this week and  then 2.5 next week and then taper my run. (I've already started to taper my bike.) But it looks like it's not to be. I did run 13.1 in a race 7 weeks out from IMC but it set back my running by two weeks to do that. The run portion of the event is going to be VERY interesting. In the Chinese, may you life in interesting times, way.

2011-08-09 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3633195

Interesting, indeed! I had a nightmare last night that I didn't make the bike cutoff. I kept getting lost heading out of town, and it took me four hours to even find the route. I guess what I'm scared of most is not making the bike cutoff! I am really not happy with my cycling fitness and stamina at this point. I know the average speed I would need to maintain given my predicted swim time and ample T1 time, would need to be only like 12.8 mph but if I'm not having a good day on the climbs, and depending on the heat and wind, I dunno. Eek. I think I am starting to psych myself out, which is not good.

2011-08-10 11:14 AM

Winnipeg

Interesting reading as we get down to the last two weeks and I imagine everyone is either starting their taper or will be in the next day or so.  I'll be the old man of the group at 56 doing my first and I hope to put it all into perspective. Just that we can be there and do this is an awesome thing.

Last month just before I was scheduled to do a local HIM my wife advised me her cancer was back. It was devistating. 2 days before the race I told her I don't know if I can do this thing my heart just isn't in it. She told me she didn't care if my heart was in it or not hers was I was to get my up that mountain.

Her days are numbered yet she has insisted I get out and train and put in the hours. I have and when it gets tough I simply think of her battle. Mine is with a mountain and a run. She has taught me the meaning of courage. I have learnt more about courage and battleing on from her than any where else.

So if you see a big (clysdale)older guy taking his time heading up the mountain and stopping at the top to give a little bald lady a big hug well that will be me. Now for most of you, well you'll be long gone when I get there but that is ok as this is our journey mine and Eva's and we will both enjoy and cherish every minute of it we share.I wish you all well and God's speed.

2011-08-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3637666

If I see you and your wife after hearing your story I will probably get quite emotional, you really just put things in perspective for me. I can't even imagine. Best of luck to you.
2011-08-10 12:23 PM

User image

New user

Saskatoon

First of all, Radar987 - you and your wife are so inspiring to me. I will be thinking of you both on race-day for sure. She is the kind of support partner that every triathlete dreams of. Tell her "thank you" on my behalf for reminding me that there are people who support these crazy things we decide to do.

Spacebabe, don't freak yourself out! I had nightmares before my first one... and my second one. This time they are pretty much gone. Take it easy on the bike up the hills. You will be fine. The toughest part that I remember is the out-and-back. Yellow Lake is a tough climb, but after that you are in the home-stretch. I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about. It really isn't as bad as your mind may be telling you. Practice some visualization of yourself biking in the time you want. That always helps me.

This past weekend I did a race that was about 1/3rd IM and it felt really good (despite a darn flat tire!). I think I'm ready. I'm doing one more long bike (about 130km) and one more long run (about 20km) and then I'm tapering. That's right, my long runs are pretty short. I'm hoping that running short distances more often will work for me this time. I'm looking forward to it!!!

Is there a way that we could all meet up somewhere? At the peach on Friday morning wearing red shirts? Or is the underwear run happening this year? Maybe we could body paint BT IMC on our backs.

2011-08-11 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
I was planning to do the underwear run.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6