General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Full Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Full Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Competitor Group
60F / 16C
Total Time = 4h 11m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Walked to the start early, dropped off bag, found my corral (8) and sat down inside for a bit.
Event warmup:

Met the 4:00 pace leader. Talked Ironman for a while (He did IMLou in 2008 and IMLP, like I will, this year)
Run
  • 4h 12m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Maybe I haven't waited long enough to see how I really feel about this run. My training went so well, the weather was perfect. The first 9 miles were really great. I ran with the 4:00 pace group and chatted on and off. At about Mile 9, my left leg started twitching as it tends to do at the END of long runs and the pace started to feel fast for my leg muscles, but aerobically I was just fine even conversational. The hills in the second half seemed very hard although I know logically they couldn't have been that bad, I really, really felt them. By Mile 18 my leg muscles were shot. It was so strange though because I wasn't really tired, and mentally I was still ok, but my legs just wouldn't move fast enough and I let the pace group go on ahead and started walking the water stops and stopped to stretch a couple times. I knew then 4:00 was not happening, but thought I could at least surely take a couple minutes off my PR. I slowed to about a 10:30+ pace (which was basically my physical max.) and finished it up with a burst of speed in the final stretch.
What would you do differently?:

We walked a LOT Friday and Saturday. My legs actually hurt each day from just walking. So, I was super sore going into this race, but I'm not sure I could've avoided the walking without being a complete party-pooper.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the hotel to shower and nap and then walked several miles that night to/from dinner. Walking after my last stand-alone marathon helped a lot I think in recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Although I trained well with mostly 40-55 mile weeks, I did not train enough at RACE PACE. If I'm going to go faster I still will need more distance and more at a faster pace.

Event comments:

I missed my marathon PR by 29 seconds. I knew my current PR was 4:12, but didn't know the seconds until I looked it up later. I am very glad though that I had the GUTS to decide to go for 4:00 and also the ABILITY to stay with the group for 18 miles. I now have a VERY good idea of what it will take to reach my 3:XX goal sometime in the future.

Last updated: 2010-08-19 12:00 AM
Running
04:12:32 | 26.2 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: First 1/2 flat, 2nd 1/2 has several steep overpasses and some long, gradual inclnes
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-07 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Full Marathon

2010-12-09 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3240234

User image

Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Full Marathon
I completely agree with that walking around on Friday and Saturday.  I did not want to tell my DW that I should be sitting and off my feet.  Sometime Saturday, my left ankle started hurting due to the walking around and shopping.

No more Vegas racing for me!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Full Marathon Rss Feed