General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How tight is too tight? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-08 5:53 PM

User image

Olmsted Twp, OH
Subject: How tight is too tight?
I finally received the Zoot Zenith 2.0 wetsuit that I ordered when they had that great sale.  I took a chance on the size as I am at the top end of the height and weight measurements for the only size they had left (and this is my first wetsuit - I have never worn one before).

I tried it on and it is VERY tight.  It took me about 15 minutes to get it on and I don't think I could be 1 pound heavier and still get into it at all.  I was not able to zip it up all the way and there was no one home who could assist me.  Also, the armpits felt very constricted and I could feel a lot of rubbing when I made any swimming motions with my arms.  I am wondering if I did get it zipped up all the way, if it would make the armpits feel more comfortable. 

Anyway - any thoughts or suggestions out there?

2010-12-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3241980

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: How tight is too tight?
My personal preference is a little looser ... my opinion is that there is NOT much downside to a wetsuit that is a little loose ... and a ton of problems with a suit that is too tight. At 6-1.5 height and 175 weight I wear an Orca size 9 and it fits great but the size chart below says I should probably be in a size 8 and that the size 7 would fit me better than the 9. I tried a 7, and 8 and a 9 .... the 7 was a bad joke and I felt like the 8 restricted my breathing. (Yeah, yeah ... I understand a suit will stretch and loosen up when it gets wet and yada yada yada....). Similarly with the Profile Design sleeveless suit in the photo below ... size chart says I should be in a Large and this is an Extra Large.

Edited by jsselle 2010-12-08 6:09 PM

(Comp Orca Size.jpg)

(Comp WetsuitSwim Camp 028.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Comp Orca Size.jpg (23KB - 10 downloads)
Comp WetsuitSwim Camp 028.jpg (24KB - 12 downloads)
2010-12-08 6:10 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
When you receive a new wetsuit, the important thing to remember is that it has NOT been soaked. Its not uncommon for it to feel deadly tight at first. After you soak it in a tub for a few hours , the next time you get it on you may find that it is much more supple.
Give it a good soak, let it dry thoroughly and then try it on again. 
Of course the only true test is to swim in it......which may take some getting used to if you are not used to swimming in a wetsuit.

Just some stuff to consider.
Best of luck to you!

2010-12-09 7:24 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
It's supposed to be tight, but different suits fit different people.  I tried on a few Blue Seventy's and they all felt like they were choking me.  I then tried on a Nineteen suit, and it fit perfectly - tight, but not choking me.  You will notice that once it's been in the water it loosens a little bit.

I'll disagree with the other poster (but only because I don't know he's definintion of loose).  Loose = too much water in the suit, and you'll drag that around with you.  The suit is supposed to be as close to a second skin as possible.

As for the armpits, pull your sleeves up a little higher.  The suit doesn't have to sit right at your wrists, but you will want to pull the suit higher around the shoulders.  Once in the water, swim for a couple of minutes and do it again.

Oh, and lots of people can't zip their own suit.  I haven't managed it once yet.  I have a lake 5min from the house, and drive their in my suit after my wife zips me up.  If no-one else was around I'd be stuck.
2010-12-09 7:28 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
When I bought my wetsuit, I thought the salesperson was joking with me.  She said my fit was perfect, but I thought it was way too tight.  Now, that I've raced in it, they were right.  Putting on a wetsuit is usually a 2 person job, but I have actually learned how to put it on by myself.  My point is, if you think it is too tight, it is probably the right size.
2010-12-09 7:33 AM

User image

You should feel violated when you put on a wetsuit and you should be able to read the date on a coin in your pocket through it.

When you get in the water it'll feel completely different as soon as you have water between the suit and you.

Yeah, it takes a few minutes to put the thing on and the dances people do are amusing as all get out but that's the way it is.

2010-12-09 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Here is a great video that helped me understand how to pull up the slack around the shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrB2hu0ZBo
2010-12-09 8:10 AM

User image

Bronze member
I took advantage of the same deal but I think mine is too loose! I was right on the edge on the size chart so I went with the bigger size. I think I'm going to return
2010-12-09 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3242392

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
GoFaster - 2010-12-08 8:24 PM
Oh, and lots of people can't zip their own suit.  I haven't managed it once yet.  I have a lake 5min from the house, and drive their in my suit after my wife zips me up.  If no-one else was around I'd be stuck.

I am so glad to hear that someone else does this too! The one time I tried to get the suit on by myself, I ended up asking this older gentleman who lives on the access road to help me out. So now, I just hope I don't get pulled over on my way to the lake (I live in a small town and think it would be awkward at best explaining).

Spend the time soaking the suit (like Helen recommended) and take the time to really pull it all the way up (it takes me a good 7-10 minutes to get it on correctly) and give it a test run before giving up completely. Swimming the first time will feel really different (I wasn't used to the feeling of the material on my shoulders during my stroke nor the buoyancy of my legs)...
2010-12-09 6:11 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My first wetsuit (three years ago) came in the mail, I put it on and could barely breathe. Worst spot was the neck-the veins in my head all popped out because of impaired venous return. I sent it back for a larger size. Now that I know better, I realize that this bigger size which felt great initially, is too darn big. Probably the fit of this brand wetsuit just doesn't fit my body.

This fall I bought a new Zoot and it is perfect. It is very tight but feels fantastic everywhere.

My advice to you is to be sure you are getting the right size. Enlist the help of someone more experienced with wetsuits. I wish I would have done this with my first wetsuit purchase. Even a cheap wetsuit is a significant investment. Good luck.
2010-12-10 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
First time I ever tried on a wetsuit, it was so constricting I panicked and couldn't breathe.  You get used to it.  Try to bunch up a little extra material around your shoulders and hips to give you more mobility.  When putting it on, either use a plastic grocery bag over your feet and hands to get in easier, or spray yourself down with some Pam.  And most importantly, Bodyglide the heck out of the back of your neck.  My sister forgot to do that for her Ironman race, it was ugly.

2010-12-10 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
I tried on a couple of brands of wetsuits at a tri shop. The first one felt like I was strangling, the other brand was much different/better. Still tight - I felt like a sausage in a casing in both, but there was definitely a difference between them. And they are supposed to be tight.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How tight is too tight? Rss Feed