General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration System on Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-09 1:11 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: Hydration System on Tri Bike
Hello- I'll be getting a Felt B14, and I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on a hydration system for it.  I'll be using it for training in my Sprint and Olympic distance tri races, and of course in the races itself. 
I was told to check out XLab's Mini Wing or the Turbo Wing.  Also was mentioned the Torpedo Aerobar Mount.

A friend of mine suggested that I would be better off using a rear hydration system for everday training, but on race day, use either the Torpedo Mount or a profile design aero drink bottle with a straw.

Any thoughts?
(and thank you)

2010-12-09 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3243140

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Hydration System on Tri Bike
Congratulations on your new Felt.  I am in the same boat.  My thoughts so far are to use a frame mount aero bottle for races and swap it for a conventional bottle holder for training.  For Sprint and Oly races I dont think I will need any more than 1 bottle on the bike.  Once I start doing longer rides outside again (Its winter here and I am on the trainer now), I may add a rear holder, but just use it for training rides.

While I havent tried one yet, I am not sure I want a bottle mounted on the aero bars.  Not sure I want the straw in my face and not sure if I have enough room with my computer (705) also mounted on the aero bars.  I have also heard some say the straw impacts aero dynamics.
2010-12-09 2:31 PM

Regular
Somers CT
I really like my Profile Designs aero drink bottle.  Having the water literally right in front of you is super conveinent and it's relatively easy to fill on the move.  I also have a seat tube mounted water bottle, but have found myself running a little bit dry on my longer rides. 

I have been putting some thought into running both the Profile Design and the Inviscid Design Speedfil system.  The Speedfil is almost like a CamelBak style hose that feeds off a 40 oz reservoir that can attach to your seat tube or down tube.  Thought it might be cool to have 62 oz of two different fluids available. 

Only problem, I'm not sure I want to bring along 4 pounds of water though...

2010-12-09 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Leicester
If training and taking your own fluid for a 2+ hr ride, a 2 bottle rear wing works great.
in a sprint or oly race, you're proly only going to need 1 bottle 2 at the most, a rear wing works fine
HIM or IM will undoubtedly have bottle exchanges somewhere on the course, cary 1 or 2 bottles, a rear wing works fine

Can you tell I use a rear wing?
Profile seat post mounted one on my old Cervelo, now a seat rail mounted PD one on my new bike.

Tried a budy's aero bottle (between the bars) and the straw p!ssed me off.
2010-12-10 11:39 AM

User image

I'll be picking up my new B14 on Monday.  I plan to use just a Torpedo aerobar mount for short tri's.  For training I'll just be adding a mount on the frame as well.  That should be enough for me.  I had the rear mount on my past bike and it was an effort to keep reaching back for hydration.  Good luck
2010-12-10 12:58 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

IMO, assuming that aerodyanmics is the most important factor when making your decision, an aerobottle or regular bottle mounted horiztonally on the aerobars is the way to go.  One bottle should be sufficent for short course events and if you need more bottles, then you can add a bottle to the seattube (I believe it only has seattube mounts).

Shane

2010-12-10 2:28 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
thanks everyone...these are all very helpful suggestions.  I think I'll go with a front hydration system without a straw (regular bottle mounted horiztonally on the aerobars) like the one Shane described.
What I forgot is my Garmin Edge 500.  I'll have to see if I can (1) mount my Garmin on my bike and (2) if it will get in the way of a horizontally mounted bottle. 

Depending on where I put my bike computer, that could affect which front race day hydration system I end up with.
I'll probably need to get the bike first, get the computer attached, and then play it from there.

Thanks again guys for your suggestions.

2010-12-10 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3243198

Master
, California
While I havent tried one yet, I am not sure I want a bottle mounted on the aero bars.  Not sure I want the straw in my face and not sure if I have enough room with my computer (705) also mounted on the aero bars.

You should cut the straw down so you have to dip your head slightly to take a drink.  Then it's not in your way.  As for the computer, I have a Joule 2.0 mounted in front of my bottle, still leaving room for my hands in the proper position.  It's a close fit but it works.

I have also heard some say the straw impacts aero dynamics.

Negligible.  It's airflow that's going to hit the parachute (you) anyhow.
2010-12-10 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3244696

User image

Champion
spudone - 2010-12-10 4:44 PM

I disagree with the fact that it is negligible; it may not be something that the OP is worried about but not something to be dismissed out of hand.

A cylinder, especially one that meets undisturbed air, is terrible from the standpoint of aerodynamics.  The bottles themselves are fairly aerodynamic but the straws most definitely are not. 

Shane
2010-12-13 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3244898

Master
, California
gsmacleod - 2010-12-10 3:40 PM
spudone - 2010-12-10 4:44 PM

I disagree with the fact that it is negligible; it may not be something that the OP is worried about but not something to be dismissed out of hand.

A cylinder, especially one that meets undisturbed air, is terrible from the standpoint of aerodynamics.  The bottles themselves are fairly aerodynamic but the straws most definitely are not. 

Shane

Once again though, if you take the objects in that drawing and put a rider behind them, the importance of the airflow around them is much, much less.

Consider if you're nitpicking every little thing for a time trial, you're probably removing that entire bottle anyways.  In a HIM or IM, you could assemble a laundry list of aero "problem areas", both equipment and rider position, that'd have more impact than a straw.
2010-12-13 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3247272

User image

Champion
spudone - 2010-12-13 5:45 PM

Once again though, if you take the objects in that drawing and put a rider behind them, the importance of the airflow around them is much, much less.

How does putting a rider behind the cylinder negate the impact of the aerodynamics of the cylinder?  Of course the cyclist is the largest component of the aerodynamic drag but if I can easily remove something that has a negative impact on aerodynamics, then I am going to do it. 

Consider if you're nitpicking every little thing for a time trial, you're probably removing that entire bottle anyways.  In a HIM or IM, you could assemble a laundry list of aero "problem areas", both equipment and rider position, that'd have more impact than a straw.

Again, there are clearly other concerns, but why would you ignore something that can easily be addressed?  In the same way that I am not going to race on slow tires or tubes, regardless of distance, I am not going use equipment that has a detrimental impact on aerodynamics when there is a viable alternative.

Shane

2010-12-13 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Spivey, GA
A brief observation about the straw in an aerobar mounted hydration system.

I have a Bontrager Aero Race Pack.  It's a single reservoir aero bottle with an integrated straw.  When I first mounted it on my bike I noticed that the straw flopped over to the left.  I thought to myself "I'm gonna have to change that".  After the first use I noticed it was an advantage because it didn't get in my way.  The lesson here is don't adjust or cut the straw until you've used it a few times.  

I also have an XLAB Carbon Wing with Gorilla Cages.  I use these most of the time and have no other cages/bottles on my frame.  The Bontrager Pack is just for HIM's and my first IM in November. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration System on Tri Bike Rss Feed