World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 24m 47s
Overall Rank = 1258/1627
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 190/207
Pre-race routine:

So this was my trip to the big dance (at the half distance). How I got here is somewhat of a stroke of amazing timeing and luck. Truthfully, I recieved the mother of all roll downs with a freaking pathetic 6:11:30 at thr Rhode Island 70.3. I popped on the run there...again...but was able to set a PR by two minutes. I only went to the awards / roll down because Kate Major was staying with us for the week. She won the pro race and suggested that we stay for the roll down. To make a long story short...I was pretty much the last guy standing when they were giving away slots.

Yep...pretty much on cloud 9 for the rest of the summer.

First of all, Clearwater is an awesome venue. It was easy to get to and the prices for everything in Florida are cheap this time of year. I took my family down there (hotel, flights and car) for under 2k. And we stayed in a pretty nice place about 1/2 mile from the pier.

Race morning was more of the usual ritual but with more calories. 1 bottle of Infinit clyde formula, bannana, Clif bar topped with peanut butter, nunn with water, two gu roctanes before the start (worked out to be 900 calories).
Event warmup:

Short swim.
Swim
  • 37m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Comments from the other competitors had this course about 100 - 150 yards long. This was a crap swim for me even though my volume was down for the last two months. I figured I would come out 33 - 34 minutes or so.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep up the volume.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Actually took my time. Took a leak. Got the heart rate down. No problems here.
Bike
  • 2h 30m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Ahh, the bike at Clearwater...

First of all, let me start by saying that I did not want to pass judgement until I was there. Yes, there are packs. I saw 4 big ones...three passed me, one was in front of me on an out and back section of the course. It was pretty blatant. Since I really can't keep up with some of those guys/girls, I could not stay with those packs if I wanted to...so my 2:30 was dead nuts clean.

The bike started out great although my MPH was around 19 - 20 so was getting a little nervous that something was wrong with me or my bike. After the race I was told that the first 15 miles were a net uphill. OK... When we hit the highways I found out why this course is so fast. It is dead balls flat with great road surfaces. MPH went way up and I hit the first 25 miles at about a 21.1 average. Pretty respectable for my big-ness. The next 30 miles were solo hammer fest with a couple of packs passing me. At around mile 45 I broke my arm rest for my bars and had to be gentle for the next 10 miles. Not a big deal. Got off the bike feeling awesome. Kissed my wife and the boys and headed out on the run.

NOTHING! This was a great ride. Clean and fast for me. VERY happy with the performance.
Transition 2
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

No picnics. They take your bike!
Run
  • 2h 09m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

So this is where I throw the brakes on and the reason why I rolled down for my slot becomes clear. I still weigh 217 and at 5-9 can't run a half like a can a 5k. My previous time for the run at this distance was 2:30...so I was looking to improve.

I wore a stopwatch for the swim and switched to a Garmin when I got on my bike. I stashed the stopwatch in my pocket for use some time during the run to see where I needed to be relative to my goal for this race (5:45 or so). I knew I could break 6 hours just because of the course...how much less than that was up in the air. I did the math in my head and figured I had a shot at 5:30 but would need to keep the miles under 10 MPM. This was a maybe...

First three miles were great. Really tried to keep the pace under control. The next 6 miles I just tried to settle in to a nice pace, keep cool and enjoy this experience. At the turn around for the last three miles I decided to pull out the watch...in disbelief, I found that I had a shot at 5:25. This would be a 45 minute PR at this distance. At this point I was pretty much spent and a 29 minute 5k (while pathetic) was going to take the rest of what I had left. The first mile was a strong effort and I went through the marker at 9 minutes, next mile had the bridge and pretty much sucked...the last mile would take an 8:50 or so with the .1 at the end. At this point, adreneline kicked in and managed to hold off the cramps that were coming. Hit the finishing chute, waved at the wifey and finished with a 5:24:47...2:09 for the run. Pretty freaking sweet for this clydesdale.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

After I hit the finish I was hit with a wave of emotions...did not expect it. Felt amazing that I went as fast as I did (for me...folks). Chilled out at the finish area with the family. My body felt great. No problems post race or the days after at alll...my lack of energy really kicked in a couple of weeks after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight...although this is as low as I have been in almost 10 years.

Event comments:

I loved this race. The draft packs were bad but moving the race to vegas is going to solve nothing...no matter what the talking heads on slowtiwch say.

Last updated: 2010-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 1107/207
Overall: 173/1627
Performance: Average
Suit: 19 fullsuit
Course: Rectangle out and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:30:18 | 56 miles | 22.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/207
Overall: 0/1627
Wind: Some
Course: Flatness!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:14 | 13.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 190/207
Overall: 1258/1627
Course: Meandering course through clearwater.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-11 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island
Subject: Ironman World Championships 70.3

2010-12-11 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3245308

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Ironman World Championships 70.3
Great job Vin!  Way to rock Clearwater!!!
2010-12-13 6:15 AM
in reply to: #3245308

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island
Subject: RE: Ironman World Championships 70.3

Thanks Erica! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman World Championships 70.3 Rss Feed