General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Young athlete who doesn't play sports anymore! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-12 9:54 PM

Subject: Young athlete who doesn't play sports anymore!
Hello everyone,

I am a 20 year old male who no longer plays sports (basketball/soccer) anymore, and simply attend University, coach, and do some weight training. I used to be a bit of a runner in high school with the Track team, but I am wanting to do my first Triathlon in late June. I am starting my training once I return from Cuba in mid-January and am looking for any tips for success. A couple of main questions I have are:

a. If I am doing a 25-30 minute bike, but can't go outside due to snow, would a spin class be too long/would it be better to ride a stationary bike or a spin bike for the 25-30 mins?

b. If doing swimming training day and plan on doing this for 15 minutes, this does not include any rest time correct?

Thank you for any help,
Robb

2010-12-12 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3246179

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Young athlete who doesn't play sports anymore!
Welcome to the site, and good luck with your training.

To get into your questions, a spin class is fine when you can't be outside, or even sometimes when you could be outside.  People will generally say that the best thing is riding on your bike outside, then riding your bike on the trainer, then spin.  But really, when you're just starting, and need to get your body used to cycling, any time is helpful, IMO.

As far as resting during your swim workout, it really depends on what the workout is.  If it's "swim for 15 minutes straight" then no, you shouldn't rest.  If it's to be doing 5x100 with :30 between or something, then yes, there is rest time built into it.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Young athlete who doesn't play sports anymore! Rss Feed