General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Currently doing Tri's on a Hybrid Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-16 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
Subject: Currently doing Tri's on a Hybrid Bike
I made the mistake of buying a Cannondale Q5 Hybrid bike in 2009. I never thought I would get the Tri bug but I have and I wish I bought a different bike. My question is how much of a difference would getting a road or tri bike make?

I have put on thin tires and clip on aero bars on the Hybrid. On the flats I usually can keep up a pace of 19 to 23 mph. On an average 10 mile ride my MPH avg is usually around 17mph due to hills.

I spent my bike budget on the Hybrid but I think the bike is my best leg of the tri. I am 49 and a former hockey player and current skier so my legs are strong. I am 5'10  220lbs.

I have been looking for a good used road or tri bike and a good price but so far no luck. There are plenty of bikes out there but not in my price range. Would getting a road or tri bike make a big difference in my times and perhaps make my legs fresher come the run portion?

If I do move up which bike should I get? I have the tri to fall back on to ride with my kids and other stuff. I don't see myself riding in a bike club anytime soon. I just plan on doing tri's. Perhaps 3 to 5 a year.

Thanks

2010-12-16 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3250784

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: RE: Currently doing Tri's on a Hybrid Bike
Your speed sounds pretty good for a hybrid.  Hard to be sure, since your hilly ride and mine cannot be easily compared.

Your hybrid and mine may be far apart as well.  I CAN tell you that my speed went up dramatically when I bought a new Tri-bike on November 1st.  I knocked about 10 minutes off a 25 mile loop right away, and that was with cool weather requiring heavier clothing (read parachute flapping) and pretty windy days. 

Motor matters the most.  The miles I put on the hybrid (with the clip-ons) built my legs and I was ready for the new bike.  My fitting went very quickly because I was already used to aero-bars and my position on the old bike was pretty close to what I am in now.

I imagine I am better off for putting the miles in on the slower, heavier bike. If I had started on my newer bike, I probably wouldn't be as strong or fast.

As far as picking up another bike if you can, road bikes are definitely more versatile.  However some people only have a tri-bike and are happy with it.  Riding with groups could call more for a roadie, but since you expect to be ever solo, a TT would possiblysuit you better.  The cycling group here has no beef with tri-bikes, so it's about a moot point for me.

Hills still suck.  Maybe climbing would be easier on a roadie for me, but I plan to work on the hills specifically soon and fix that little problem.

Short version:  Better bike can help, but the time in the saddle and work make the biggest difference.

-eric
2010-12-16 10:39 AM

User image

Master
I agree. I did my first 5 or 6 tris with a hybrid. Including two half irons.
You WILL see a difference on a tri or even a road bike, just becuase of body position. Tri bike will give more benefit, but is a little less versatile.
I would say, save up for a little while, the bike you want will come around, and in the meantime, you will be getting good training on the hybrid!

Edited by eliwashere 2010-12-16 10:40 AM
2010-12-16 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Take it from me there is a huge difference, but unless you have a lot of money to burn or expect to be on the podium every week do not spend the extra money till you are ready or you can sell your hybrid for a tri bike/or road

I have done races early on with a Trek Hybrid and I would finish 3rd (age gr) and pretty high but my speed was always slower than the other bikes and I would say "what if"

Also when I would get off my hybrid I would really run like a walrus, with my quads being on fire.

This all changed when I got my tri bike...better speed, preserved legs etc.....

The only thing to look at is if you plan on training for HIM or full you will have a higher risk for overuse injuries on a hybrid also

I would look around and research other bikes so when you are ready you can pull the trigger and buy one.......you can also rent for races, but the unfamiliarity of the rental may be risky too.

good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Currently doing Tri's on a Hybrid Bike Rss Feed