BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-21 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED

NAME: Boston Beginner / Josh

STORY: I am 36 years old and just finished my 3rd year of participating in triathlons.  I started after I hurt my back a little over 3 years ago. My physical therapist was doing a triathlon and figured since I was going 3x  week to the gym for therapy, I can finding the time to train when it was over.  It was something I also wanted to do.  The rest is history. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very supportive wife, 2 kids, almost 6 and 4 now.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am gearing up to start my winter maintenance program having just taken a month off after my first Ironman.  I am going to focus on speed this year and work on strength training and lots of drills for swimming, biking, and running.  I would really like to get my running times down.

2010 RACES:  I ended up only doing 2 races, a local Olympic and Ironman Arizona.  

2011 RACESI am focusing on running and short distances this year -  couple of half marathons, a bunch of sprints, a couple of Olympics and probably 1 HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since the start of training a couple of years ago, I was down about 30lbs, but I have gained some back since IMAZ.  I ideally would like to lose another 10 lbs. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my 3rd mentor group.  I fully admit that an I not an expert in the mechanics of any of the 3 sports.  I need major work on my swim stroke, I need to learn a ton more about the bike, and I know if I keep moving my feet, I will cross the finish line.  I do believe that I am a good motivator and can give good advice from what I do know.   I will also try and find the answer or the place to get an answer to any question that is asked.  I have gotten countless advice and formed great friendships on BT and I find doing these groups are a great way to give back to this great site.  

WHAT WILL MAKE A GOOD MENTEE: I would like to keep the group small this time to really focus on everyone’s individual plan.  I have some bigger groups in the past and think it would be more beneficial to all if we kept in on the smaller side.  This way, I can follow each member more closely and respond and comment to everyone's training.   Also, I would like to keep it to folks who are really new to this stuff, either just starting or just finishing up their 1st season.  If you would like to be a part of this group, reply to this thread and please tell me a little bit about yourself, specifically how long you have been doing this, expectations, and goals for this year. 

Edited by Boston Beginner 2010-12-22 5:16 PM

2010-12-22 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN
Hi, I would love to join.

Name: Jackie

Story: I was active in high school, but started to get heavy in college and got very heavy after having 2 kids. In 2007, I went to Weight Watchers and lost almost 80lbs over the course of a year and a half. I took a break from weight loss in 2009 to have my 3rd baby. At the end of 2009, I started running to try and help me lose the weight I had regained with the pregnancy. I did my first 5K in Jan 2010 and couldn't wait to sign up for another to try and beat my time. Around this time, an instructor at my gym who had worked with me during the course of my weight loss encouraged me to try a sprint tri (Iron Girl- May 2010). The idea appealed to me because my dad had done triathlons when I was a kid (oly distance) back in the early 90s. It seemed like a real challenge, so I bought a used road bike and started swimming laps in addition to my running. I finished and was hooked.  

Family status: Married with 3 kids (5yrs, 3yrs, and 15 months)

Current Training: I run 3xs a week (usually between 3-7 miles) and do one long bike ride (usually 36 miles). I have not swam since my last tri in Oct, but I was swimming 2xs a week for most of the summer/fall. My goal for 2011 is to continue to run 3xs a week and add some bike trainer workouts 2-3xs a week (I started Jorge's winter program this week), and to swim 2xs a week.

2010 Races: Iron Girl Las Vegas (sprint), Carlsbad Sprint Tri, Las Vegas Sprint Tri, Pumpkinman (Oly), Las Vegas Rock and Roll HM, also did a few 5ks & 10ks.

2011 Races: This year, I'm looking to repeat all the races I did in 2010 and focus on improving my times.

Goals: My main focus this year is the bike. It is my weakest area. So I'm really looking to step up the training in this area and just become a better rider overall. I would also like to try and get my run times down on shorter distances (5ks).

I was in a mentor group last summer and it helped me tremendously. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and getting new perspectives.

Edited by jpbis26 2010-12-22 12:10 PM
2010-12-22 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3257653

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

jpbis26 - 2010-12-22 1:09 PM Hi, I would love to join.

Name: Jackie

Story: I was active in high school, but started to get heavy in college and got very heavy after having 2 kids. In 2007, I went to Weight Watchers and lost almost 80lbs over the course of a year and a half. I took a break from weight loss in 2009 to have my 3rd baby. At the end of 2009, I started running to try and help me lose the weight I had regained with the pregnancy. I did my first 5K in Jan 2010 and couldn't wait to sign up for another to try and beat my time. Around this time, an instructor at my gym who had worked with me during the course of my weight loss encouraged me to try a sprint tri (Iron Girl- May 2010). The idea appealed to me because my dad had done triathlons when I was a kid (oly distance) back in the early 90s. It seemed like a real challenge, so I bought a used road bike and started swimming laps in addition to my running. I finished and was hooked.  

Family status: Married with 3 kids (5yrs, 3yrs, and 15 months)

Current Training: I run 3xs a week (usually between 3-7 miles) and do one long bike ride (usually 36 miles). I have not swam since my last tri in Oct, but I was swimming 2xs a week for most of the summer/fall. My goal for 2011 is to continue to run 3xs a week and add some bike trainer workouts 2-3xs a week (I started Jorge's winter program this week), and to swim 2xs a week.

2010 Races: Iron Girl Las Vegas (sprint), Carlsbad Sprint Tri, Las Vegas Sprint Tri, Pumpkinman (Oly), Las Vegas Rock and Roll HM, also did a few 5ks & 10ks.

2011 Races: This year, I'm looking to repeat all the races I did in 2010 and focus on improving my times.

Goals: My main focus this year is the bike. It is my weakest area. So I'm really looking to step up the training in this area and just become a better rider overall. I would also like to try and get my run times down on shorter distances (5ks).

I was in a mentor group last summer and it helped me tremendously. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and getting new perspectives.

Welcome Jackie, it's great to have you.  Looks like we have some of the same goals this year.  I was just thinking about starting Jorge's program now that I am back from my break.  Congrats on your 1st season. 

2010-12-22 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Would love to join!

Name: Mike_D/ Mike D 

Story: 43 YO who spent far too many of the last dozen years getting out of shape and not doing much physically. Grew up playing multiple sports - baseball, basketball, football -- and spent 3 years playing rugby in my early 30's. Had always thought doing a triathlon would be great (and crazy) and hoped to do it before age 40. Missed it by 3 years. What had me motivated to get off the couch this past March 2010 was a doctor visit in February where I discovered my weight had reached the highest it had ever been. Seeing the doctor write "Obese" on the chart shook me, and really made me think about my condition. I signed up for a fitness class at the local Y and started going to the gym 5 days a week doing a combination of strenght & cardio training. 

Come mid May, I was asked to be part of a relay team in the local sprint tri. I pulled the bike out and trained somewhat, and did the race. It was incredibly exhilirating to participate, and I decided I needed to do this myself. Within a week I'd found BT, discovered what "C25K" meant, and signed up for another local sprint held on 9/26. I started from total Zero/nothing/nada for run & swim ability, but the C25K, and some swim lessons helped. Ran the race, finished ahead of my goal time, and loved every second of it. The run down the finish chute and crossing the line was truly incredible. I am now hooked, and enjoying it to no end.  (sorry for the long story...)

Family: Married, live on south shore of MA, 2 kids - girls 11 & 7.

Current Training: Focused on swim & run.  Swimming is starting to realy kick butt -- something clicked recently and I'm now able to do 1+ mile continuous swims and feel good. Running plans are to do a 1/2 marathon in March, and I've started training for that, and am excited about the race.

Weight Loss: I'm down nearly 60 pounds since that first day at the gym in March. Watching what I eat has also been a big part of this, and I don't miss all the junk at all.

2010 Races: Cohasset Sprint Tri (relay) 6/29; Hull Funtastic Sprint Tri 9/26; Couple of 5k races;

2011 Plans: A few sprints, including Cohasset, 1/2 Mary; a 10k in April, Pumpkinman HIM in September;

Goals: Continue to get more fit, improve on run, swim, get a new bike and ride until the tires wear out (then get new ones), most of all have fun and enjoy the incredible feeling I have now that I'm getting in shape & healthy. Overall, I can't believe whats happened in just 8 months. I want to continue it for a long time!!

Edited by Mike_D 2010-12-22 12:33 PM
2010-12-22 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3257694

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Mike_D - 2010-12-22 1:32 PM Would love to join!

Story: 43 YO who spent far too many of the last dozen years getting out of shape and not doing much physically. Grew up playing multiple sports - baseball, basketball, football -- and spent 3 years playing rugby in my early 30's. Had always thought doing a triathlon would be great (and crazy) and hoped to do it before age 40. Missed it by 3 years. What had me motivated to get off the couch this past March 2010 was a doctor visit in February where I discovered my weight had reached the highest it had ever been. Seeing the doctor write "Obese" on the chart shook me, and really made me think about my condition. I signed up for a fitness class at the local Y and started going to the gym 5 days a week doing a combination of strenght & cardio training. 

Come mid May, I was asked to be part of a relay team in the local sprint tri. I pulled the bike out and trained somewhat, and did the race. It was incredibly exhilirating to participate, and I decided I needed to do this myself. Within a week I'd found BT, discovered what "C25K" meant, and signed up for another local sprint held on 9/26. I started from total Zero/nothing/nada for run & swim ability, but the C25K, and some swim lessons helped. Ran the race, finished ahead of my goal time, and loved every second of it. The run down the finish chute and crossing the line was truly incredible. I am now hooked, and enjoying it to no end.  (sorry for the long story...)

Current Training: Focused on swim & run.  Swimming is starting to realy kick butt -- something clicked recently and I'm now able to do 1+ mile continuous swims and feel good. Running plans are to do a 1/2 marathon in March, and I've started training for that, and am excited about the race.

Weight Loss: I'm down nearly 60 pounds since that first day at the gym in March. Watching what I eat has also been a big part of this, and I don't miss all the junk at all.

2010 Races: Cohasset Sprint Tri (relay) 6/29; Hull Funtastic Sprint Tri 9/26; Couple of 5k races;

2011 Plans: A few sprints, including Cohasset, 1/2 Mary; a 10k in April, Pumpkinman HIM in September;

Goals: Continue to get more fit, improve on run, swim, get a new bike and ride until the tires wear out (then get new ones), most of all have fun and enjoy the incredible feeling I have now that I'm getting in shape & healthy. Overall, I can't believe whats happened in just 8 months. I want to continue it for a long time!!

Of course Mike.  Welcome.  You have made some really big gains this year and I hope you can share your secrets to success with the rest of the group. 

2010-12-22 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jackie

You did your first tri in May, and also managed to do 5 others, plus some 5k & 10k races? That is awesome!!!

2010-12-22 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Just a reminder to make sure your logs are made public, or if you are keeping them private to just your friends, please add everyone in the group as a friend.  If you don't know how, just ask.  Once the group is set, I will set up a table (like the one in my log right now) so it's easy to get to other group member's pages.

2010-12-22 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile
Hey Josh, if there is room I would love to join.

I'm 41 years old and need a good kick to get started.  I'm 5'7" and weighing in at 227.  I'm married to a great wife who works out about 4 times a week.  I have a 10 year old daughter who is in competive cheer and an 8 year old son that plays baseball.  I guess you can say I'm the couch potato of the family.  This year I did two 1 mile fun runs with my kids while my wife ran the 5k, before that I have not raced since 1994.  Back in the early 90's I would race 5k, 10k and also do duathalons, but I met my wife and it was hang out with this fun beautiful lady or race, so I made the smart chose and picked my wife and now 16 years later here I am. 
My goal is to do a Half Triathalon sometime in 2012 and atleast run a half marathon by the end of 2011.  None of my friends race so I would like to be a part of this group to see if I can get some help on accomplishing my goals.

Thanks
George Miller
Mobile Alabama
2010-12-22 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3257790

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

gdsemiller - 2010-12-22 2:17 PM Hey Josh, if there is room I would love to join.

I'm 41 years old and need a good kick to get started.  I'm 5'7" and weighing in at 227.  I'm married to a great wife who works out about 4 times a week.  I have a 10 year old daughter who is in competive cheer and an 8 year old son that plays baseball.  I guess you can say I'm the couch potato of the family.  This year I did two 1 mile fun runs with my kids while my wife ran the 5k, before that I have not raced since 1994.  Back in the early 90's I would race 5k, 10k and also do duathalons, but I met my wife and it was hang out with this fun beautiful lady or race, so I made the smart chose and picked my wife and now 16 years later here I am. 
My goal is to do a Half Triathalon sometime in 2012 and atleast run a half marathon by the end of 2011.  None of my friends race so I would like to be a part of this group to see if I can get some help on accomplishing my goals.

Thanks
George Miller
Mobile Alabama

Welcome George.  Good for you to make the decision to get off the couch.  Kids can be a good motivator.  Please do not hesitate to ask any questions as you get into training.  I hope you take full advantage of the this site and the group. 

2010-12-22 1:55 PM

South Central PA
Name - Dan

Story - I was an athlete in HS, played a little baseball in college, and continued my eating habits out of college.  I decided I wanted to start running about 2 years ago, and jumped in to a half-mary in May 09.  Prior to that, I ran 90 feet at a time playing baseball.

Family Status - Married with a 1 year old little girl

Current Training - My 2nd full marathon is this May.  My 18-weeks of training starts Monday.

2010 Races - Pittsburgh and Hershey Half Marathons, and a few others sprinkled in.

2011 Races - Gettysburg Marathon in May, and we'll see what comes after that.  I'd like to complete my first tri this year, if I can get a handle on swimming

Weightloss - I was as high as 235 just a few years ago.  Right now I hover just aboce 200.  I'd like to be closer to 190 by May, and be able to stay close to that weight.

What will make me a good mentee - My lack of experience makes me a sponge for any info I can get my hands on...

That having been said, if you'll have a slow runner, who also bikes and wants to learn to swim, I'd love to join this group.  Oh, and I will be starting to log my workouts on here (had been using active.com).

-Dan
2010-12-22 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Josh

Name: utahrunner/Sterling

Story: I was a swimmer in high school, but started to get very heavy in college.  I just completed my first triathlon season.

Family status: 40 years old & married with 3 kids (5, 8, and 9years old)

Current Training: Goal till the end of the year to put more running milage in. 3-4xs a week (want to have 10 miles or more a week) and 2x a week of each (B & S)to maintain fitness.

2010 Races: two sprint & oly triathlon in my area, Pumpkinman (Oly), Half mary, & st. george marathon

2011 Races:  Will focus on oly distance and a HIM (utah half or Pumpkinman), couple more half marathon, and century rides.

Goals: Looking to work on my bike & run. 

2010-12-22 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3257869

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

DP120107 - 2010-12-22 2:55 PM Name - Dan

Story - I was an athlete in HS, played a little baseball in college, and continued my eating habits out of college.  I decided I wanted to start running about 2 years ago, and jumped in to a half-mary in May 09.  Prior to that, I ran 90 feet at a time playing baseball.

Family Status - Married with a 1 year old little girl

Current Training - My 2nd full marathon is this May.  My 18-weeks of training starts Monday.

2010 Races - Pittsburgh and Hershey Half Marathons, and a few others sprinkled in.

2011 Races - Gettysburg Marathon in May, and we'll see what comes after that.  I'd like to complete my first tri this year, if I can get a handle on swimming

Weightloss - I was as high as 235 just a few years ago.  Right now I hover just aboce 200.  I'd like to be closer to 190 by May, and be able to stay close to that weight.

What will make me a good mentee - My lack of experience makes me a sponge for any info I can get my hands on...

That having been said, if you'll have a slow runner, who also bikes and wants to learn to swim, I'd love to join this group.  Oh, and I will be starting to log my workouts on here (had been using active.com).

-Dan

Welcome Dan.  We take any speed of runners around here.  I a pretty slow runner.  Will you be focused strictly on running until May or are you going to try and get some biking and swimming in?  Swimming is the biggest mental hurdle to get over for a lot of people, but once you get used to the water and get some time in, it does really click. 

2010-12-22 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Hey, it is still possible, would love to join the group

Name: Alex

Story: I've never been active, always a little bit over-weighted (you can remove "a little bit" when 2010 begun...). I tried to do a couple of 1/2 Marys but was not very into it... and then I dropped 50 lbs at the beginning of the summer and begun to love running. Did my PB in Toronto with 2:00:12. Currently, I try to train for Miami 1/2 mary and then was thinking of doing a transition to tris and ham.

Family status: Married

Current Training: I'm actually doing a lot of training (run/strenght/adding bike and will start swim in Jan).

2010 Races: Ottawa/Toronto Scotiabank/Toronto Goodlife 1/2 Marys

2011 Races: Miami 1/2 mary, Mississauga 1/2 mary and then tris I'm looking to put Muskoka HIM in Sept 2011...

Goals: Having fun and finish a HIM...
2010-12-22 2:50 PM

User image

Smithtown, Long Island, NY
Name: Bill B

Story: 38 YO, did 1st Tri (Sprint) October 2010 in 1h 50M and was hooked. I started exercising about 5-6 years ago, walking during my lunch hour. once I was bored with that I joined a Jiu-Jitsu school, and have lost 70 lbs from my high. I have been super dedicated to exercising and watching what I eat. I found I really enjoyed the training for the Tri more than the actual Tri

Family: Married, Smithtown, Long Island NY, 2 boys 7 + 4.

Current Training: Mostly strength training. Had been getting some knee pain (maybe tendonitis), so I basically shut down the run since October/november. Haven't had an opportunity to ride, and has been to cold to swim.

Weight Loss: Since I started my lifestyle change of exercising, I have dropped from 230 to 160.

2010 Races: Cedar Beach Sprint Tri;

2011 Plans: 2-3 Sprints, hopefully an Oly

Goals: Enter and finish more Tris. I need to get a road bike, since I used a Mtn Bike last race and it really slowed me down.
2010-12-22 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Welcome Alex and Bill.  Glad to have you both.

I am hoping to balance it out a little more between males and females, so I would like to get a few more females to join before letting anymore guys in. 

Edited by Boston Beginner 2010-12-22 2:55 PM
2010-12-22 4:03 PM

User image

Athens, GA
I would like to join if you have room

NAME: Ail/Ailie       

STORY:
I am 35 year old (female) and have done one “season” in this lovely sport. I say “season” as I did 2 races, so I do not think that counts. Was a huge jock in HS (field hockey, winter and spring track, basketball) skiing and climbing for fun, rowed in college. Always consider myself an active person and love being outside, but realized I was not really getting much done when I went to the gym. Signed up for my first tri to support a friend who was doing one, OK and to compete…a little…ok a lot…..I love to compete. Found I liked them and the work that you have to put into them. Makes going to the gym and working out mean something again. I am 5’8” and weight about 170, need to drop weight. I currently hate running probably because I am so heavy now, never really liked it, it was just a means to an end. I like swimming (grew up in New England, summer on boats and the ocean) so open water does not freak me out, OK on the bike, know how to run, just suck at it right now.

FAMILY STATUS: s
ingle with 2 dogs that keep me on my toes

CURRENT TRAINING: 
I am doing the 4-7h winter maintenance program 20 week plan, (before that I was doing the beginner sprint 12 week program in the summer) but it is looking to be more like a 23 week plan and with xmas and being sick I have had to push back the weeks a few times…..

2010 RACES:  
Tri to Beat Cancer sprint, Take Flight tri sprint

2011 RACES:   The same two as last ear plus a few more to make a full “season” also maybe an OLY at the end of the season.

GOALS:
Want to maybe try for an OLY, but mainly get my running to improve. The bike and swim could be faster but I know that my run is HORRID right now. That is the main reason I am sticking with sprints, the run distance. I don’t see myself really ever going past that, a ½ or full marathon seems ludicrous to me, but who knows….

2010-12-22 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Name: Marcus
Story:  36 years old. Started working out almost three years ago after my doctor told me my couch potatoe days must end or I need to give up carbs and take some cholestoral pills.  So I choose to become active.    Early this year I decided to train for a 5k and completed my first event this past november.
Family:  Maried with one child (girl 1 yr)
Current Training:  Strenght training and running.
2010 Races:   One 5k
2011 Plans:  Run my first Sprint in Aug and a few 5ks. 
Weight loss:  Since I have started working out my weight has remained relatively flat body I have lost some body fat.
Goals:  Learn to swim long distances.  I can swim pretty well, just not very far.  
2010-12-22 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Name:  croixfan (used to tourney bass fish and love these fishing rods!)/ Curt

Story:  44 years old and just finishing up my first season participating in triathalons.  Back in 2009 my then 14 year old son did a sprint and I thought it looked like fun.  Fast forward to the following April and I decided to give it a try.  Growing up I played a lot of basketball and baseball where I could capitalize on my speed so I figured piece of cake -- WRONG.  This has been a HUGE switch / journey as I started with absolutely zero endurance base -- not to mention some serious atrophy in the left leg due to a blown Achilles two years back.  I'm looking to slowly develop in to a solid age group performer.  Confident that I can get there.  Realistic that it's going to take 2-3 years.

Family Status:  Married with 3 kids (all December b-days).  A daughter soon to be 19 that's in here second year of engineering at U of I (pulling straight A's!).  A son that's 16 years old and is one heck of an endurance athlete (his best time in XC this fall was just under 16 minutes for 3 miles / finished FOP this summer in a sprint tri) who also pulls solid grades in a full set of honors courses.  And a 13 year old daughter that's a solid student who plays with XC -- for her it's a social event.  Currently we live in the Chicago area, but we've lived in a lot of places -- Central Illinois, Colorado, Dubai, and Brussels -- over the past 10 years.

Current Training:  At the start of this month I took on the "peach challenge" and am still hanging in there.  I'm incredibly slow in all three events, BUT have gotten to the point where my cardio system is pretty solid.  My swimming absolutely sux (but I've got 3 new TI DVD's that showed up today).  Going forward, I'll likely be looking to get 3 runs, 3 bikes, and 6 swims in each week. 

2010 Races:  Did a mini-sprint in April where I was BOP.  Did a sprint with an OWS at the end of July where I nearly drowned.  Seriously 28 minutes for 500 yards and 5 stops on the surf boards.  My Mom was there and my wife let me know she was nearly in tears watching me flail about haplessly.  A very humbling experience where I was way BOP.  Two weeks later went after another sprint with a pool swim and finished MOP and had a great time.  That convinced me that I can do this!

2011 Races:  Likely will do the same three events.  The races are fun, but I'm looking to use the training to get in great shape.  Looking forward, may try and do some more events in 2012 (or may toss in a couple more this year!).

Weight Loss:  Stand 5'9".  Started out at 185 and am down to 180.  Very frustrating not to see any more loss as I feel great / can see the difference.  Would like to drop about 10 pounds to make the running easier on my body.  Will need to get serious about tracking intake to see any gains -- I love chocolate!!!

What Will Make Me  A Good Mentee:  I check in regularly and keep my logs current.  I listen to guidance and pursue new ideas with an open mind.  I've also spent a bunch of timing coaching kids and love watching others develop.  Like the fact that the group is targeted at beginners.  We'll likely be sharing the same hurdles / can help each other over them.

Goals:  By the end of the 2011 season I'd like to get to where I can do 1000m at 2min / 100m (currently around 3:30) , bike a 20 mile circuit at 22mph on my road bike (currently aroud 18mph), and run a 5K at an 8 minute pace (currently around 9 minute pace).

Let the fun begin!
2010-12-22 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3257694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2010-12-22 12:32 PM Would love to join!

Spill the beans.  What clicked / how'd you make progress on the swim?
2010-12-22 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
name- Dan

I know you said  that you want some more females, I don't fit that catagory, but if and when you have room I would love to join your group!

I am a 48 YO male, did my first Sprint Tri this summer and fell in love with it. I had every intention of riding my Mtn. bike, but was enjoying training with the local tri group and other friends that I had to get a road bike. So now I have the road Bike and have plans to sign up for the patriot HIM in June. I have a long way to go, but know that once I am signed up I will do what ever it takes to complete it, it may be ugly, but I will finish!

I am married with 4 children, 2 grown sons that on there own and twin daughters keeping me busy at home.

Currently I am deployed over seas and will be returning shortly after the first of the year, I have been swimming a couple of times a week, usually between 3/4 - 1 mile. Running 4-5 times per week 3-7 miles up to a week ago when I started having a problem with my foot so I have been working on the eliptical for a bit to let it heal some.

My biggest goal for doing tris is to lose weight, I am currently 6'3" 238, I would like to get down to 215. Years of trying to gain weight has caught up with me, I like to eat so I need to work out more!

I believe that i will be a good mentee because I know that I can learn from everyone I meet and I am not afraid to take advice from people that have done what I would like to do.

I look forward to being a part of the group!

Edited by Mountaindan 2010-12-22 4:37 PM
2010-12-22 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

NAME: itziaol / itzia
A real beginner

HISTORY:  I’m 44 years old.   In the past 5 years I’ve concentrated on working and studding, but after looking at my holiday pictures this Summer, I decided I had to do something about my figure and started dieting and exercising.  I have knee problems, so I was afraid they were going to hurt if I ran, but a friend gave me a programme to follow and I was alright.   I ran my first 10K race in November.  Then I started to think of participating in a sprint triathlon as a goal to accomplish when I’m 45.

I practically grew up swimming.  I’m a tropical fish.  I trained with a diving team and a swimming team as a teenager, but my passion was always classical ballet.  I have no experience in riding a road bike, although I used to ride to school and I ride a mountain bike from time to time.   I’ve been a good girl, so Santa is bringing me a road bike; a used one to start with.  Therefore, I would appreciate any advice you can give me in order to help him chose it.

FAMILY STATUS:  I’m married and have two kids, a 10 year old girl and a 14 year old boy.  My family is used to supporting me in my personal projects, whether they are building a house, going back to work, aiming for a promotion, studying, etc.

CURRENT TRAINING: I’ve been training 4 times a week so far, but I’m willing to do 6 in order to get ready.  For the moment I’m recovering from a sprained ankle.  The paradox is that I did not injure myself training, but while calmly walking down some steps at work.  :-S  I guess I’ll have to start from scratch now.

GOALS: I’ve been dreaming of doing a sprint triathlon in May, but since I was injured, I guess it would be more realistic to aim for August and perhaps October.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I’ve lost 9lbs, which is not a lot, nevertheless my body composition has changed.  I still have to lose at least another 14lbs to reach my ideal weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am very structured and disciplined.  Once I set my mind to obtaining something I don’t stop until I get it.  I’ve always been a good student and a hard worker.  I’m also a good researcher and I tend to spend an awful lot of time in front of the computer.  So even though I might not know much about this subject, I can find things out and share them with the group.  I know that setting my self goals and obtaining them will build up the confidence I need to make some overdue professional decisions.  So… I need to do this.  I hope you accept me as your mentee, even though I’m such an old beginner.   

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-09 10:40 PM

2010-12-22 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
Ok. Everyone is in and I am shutting it down, for now. BT is not working on my computer, just my phone, so I will get back to everyone in a bit.
2010-12-22 5:27 PM

Veteran
Looking at your bio's in this group I noticed many of you have the same common interests and goals. I would like to join if possible.

Name: clarner/ Chris

Story: I am 38 yo, soon to be 39, school teacher and have not done much since high school in terms of training at the level I am now. I did 3 triathlons back in 2006, but have not done any since due to heart issues that I feel have finally been addressed. Plus I have had two kids since. I was coaching 2 sports up until this year when I decided to focus more on family and personal goals such as an Ironman by 40. (Thinking this might not be realistic.)

Family: married/ 3 kids 18yo (1st maraige), 3 yo, 18mo. (yeah, I know, quite an age difference.)

Current training: Using the sprint program to build a base for the oly program I will start in March. I had a student teacher who is an accomplished swim coach helping me and so far he has given me some good tips and drills to improve my swim.

2011 Races: Sea-horse challange (OLY), Tri for life (Oly), Tawas Half-Ironman

Weightloss: I have sllooowwlllyy lost 10 pounds, but still way overweight (267) Obviously want to cut this down as one of my goals.

Goals: Finish HIM distance by end of 2011 and improve my focus and discipline

What make me a good mentee: As I mentioned before I seem more driven and motivated than ever before to accomplish my goals in this sport and in life. I push myself, when before I would slack or not even workout. This time I have noticed a difference. I not only workout 6 days a week, but I commit to it.
2010-12-22 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3258257

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
crlarner - 2010-12-22 6:27 PMLooking at your bio's in this group I noticed many of you have the same common interests and goals. I would like to join if possible.

Name: clarner/ Chris

Story: I am 38 yo, soon to be 39, school teacher and have not done much since high school in terms of training at the level I am now. I did 3 triathlons back in 2006, but have not done any since due to heart issues that I feel have finally been addressed. Plus I have had two kids since. I was coaching 2 sports up until this year when I decided to focus more on family and personal goals such as an Ironman by 40. (Thinking this might not be realistic.)

Family: married/ 3 kids 18yo (1st maraige), 3 yo, 18mo. (yeah, I know, quite an age difference.)

Current training: Using the sprint program to build a base for the oly program I will start in March. I had a student teacher who is an accomplished swim coach helping me and so far he has given me some good tips and drills to improve my swim.

2011 Races: Sea-horse challange (OLY), Tri for life (Oly), Tawas Half-Ironman

Weightloss: I have sllooowwlllyy lost 10 pounds, but still way overweight (267) Obviously want to cut this down as one of my goals.

Goals: Finish HIM distance by end of 2011 and improve my focus and discipline

What make me a good mentee: As I mentioned before I seem more driven and motivated than ever before to accomplish my goals in this sport and in life. I push myself, when before I would slack or not even workout. This time I have noticed a difference. I not only workout 6 days a week, but I commit to it.
Alright Chris, you are in and that's it.
2010-12-22 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3257883

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
utahrunner - 2010-12-22 3:02 PMHi Josh

Name: utahrunner/Sterling

Story: I was a swimmer in high school, but started to get very heavy in college.  I just completed my first triathlon season.

Family status: 40 years old & married with 3 kids (5, 8, and 9years old)

Current Training: Goal till the end of the year to put more running milage in. 3-4xs a week (want to have 10 miles or more a week) and 2x a week of each (B & S)to maintain fitness.

2010 Races: two sprint & oly triathlon in my area, Pumpkinman (Oly), Half mary, & st. george marathon

2011 Races:  Will focus on oly distance and a HIM (utah half or Pumpkinman), couple more half marathon, and century rides.

Goals: Looking to work on my bike & run. 

Hey Sterling. Sorry, it looks like a passed right over you. Welcome.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38