BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-03-31 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3256240

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL!

I am so glad this week is over for me.  Overnight work last Friday night and and a car vs. pole on Monday night, I am ready for some sleep.  I have been lethargic all week and unable to focus on anything at work or home.  I have had to really MAKE myself do any training at all.  

Oh well, the weekend is here and I am planning to allow myself to sleep as long as I can tomorrow morning.  I am not usually much for sleeping in but I can use it.  After the sleep I have a 12 mile run and a 3500 yd swim.  Next week is a recovery week so I'll get a bit of a break then too.

Samantha, I'm glad to here your trying to stay with some type of training despite the ongoing battle with your injury.  It looks like you are learning a lot about patience right now.  Stay in there and eventually you are going to come through all this and you'll have a huge advantage on a lot of people who allow themselves to give up. 

2011-04-01 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3424465

User image

Expert
MI

I've decided to hold back on the masters until I get the injury under control.  The masters instructor contacted me to see if there was anything she could do to help, so that was really nice of her.

My doctor has told me to continue to do short runs to reactive muscles (or something like that.)  How exciting!!!  I would run today, except... umm I was abnormally sore from running just one mile!!!  But so far I am liking him, because I feel like there is actually some direction!  He had filmed me jogging a short distance, squatting, and doing lunges.  From that he made some determinations about this and that.  When I run, and also when lunging, my right leg crosses the midline when it shouldn't.  That happens because of some sort of compensation because of something or another!!  (haha I don't want to misquote him.)  But basically, it seems as though there is direction.  I felt like with the PT, they were continuing to do the same things without really any true feeling as to if it was working or not.  Of course no disrespect to them, I'm sure there was some logic in it.  But even with the tests my current doctor has done, it just seems to make more sense to me.  Could also be because he is taking the time to thoroughly explain what he sees in my movements and muscles, etc.  I definitely like to be talked through what's going on.

2011-04-01 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3425343

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Thats good news for you!  I am sure you are very happy to have the directions to go ahead and run again.  Remember though, that you haven't run for a while so you need to come back a t a slow pace.  I obviously don't know what your cardio capacity is but it is probably fairly diminished since you haven't been able to workout like you would have liked.

Let me ask you a question.  You mention that you have a cross over when running, do you allow your hands/arms to cross your midline?  If so this can be part of the problem.  You should allow your arms to remain fairly opened and your shoulders relaxed.  The more you allow your arms to cross the center of your body the more you require your body to compensate for the momentum of your arms swinging back and forth the more you cause your legs to have to crossover.  The next time you run really focus on this technique.  Slow your pace down as much as you can to allow you to concentrate on keeping your arms opened.  This should help straighten your stride out a little.

Check this video out.  It's not exactly the one I was looking for, but it should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teHtQxJjLGU&feature=related

another link

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html

2011-04-01 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

My day of training is complete and I am shot again.  The extra work and lack of sleep over last weekend and a kind if crazy work week has me all tied in knots and worn out.  I slept 9 hours last night and still was screwed up for my run this morning and I had to back my pace down to even feel like I would even be able to finish.  My swim I also decided to slow down my main set so I didn't have to pass out on the side of the pool.  (That could be kind if embarrassing.

I hope to knock down another 9 hours of sleep tonight so I can hit the brick like I would like to tomorrow.

2011-04-03 2:23 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
drove to work on Sunday as my legs were fried from being back on the bike after winter,picked up my new running shoes so i will be breaking them in this week Also in a week or so I'm heading to the seaside so some OWS will have to be done
2011-04-03 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Had a lot of fun at the I.U. Mini-Marathon and 5K race this weekend.  Through some stroke of luck, I placed 2nd in my age group!!  That's pretty funny stuff, but I kinda tired of family and friends asking if there were only 2 people!  They are sooooooo funny.  I posted a race report, but here's the skinny:  Time: 34 min,  Place 219/385.  It was a beautiful cold and sunny day and I enjoyed myself immensely.

RR:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=246908

My hubby and his brother both ran the half-marathon.  Hubby's time was 1:47:00 and his brother's time was 2:09:00.  

I had to leave right after my race to drive out to Lake Lemon to watch my daughter race with the I.U. Rowing Team.  It was the first time I have seen her race, and I only got there with about 10 minutes to spare, so all-in-all the morning was superb!!

This week is my spring break from school.  The weather is supposed to be crappy all week, so I will probably not get much outdoor biking in!  Oh well, adjust and adapt!  Hope you all have a great week. 

2011-04-03 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3427665

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Nice race on a challenging course.  And btw, who cares how many were in your AG?  You placed 2nd!  That's bragging rights.  I placed 3rd in my first tri (oly) and there were only 7-8 in my AG. 

Your husbands time is a pretty good time too.  He sounds like he does pretty good in the run.  Maybe you should get him into triathlon?  Wait, what AG would he be in?  I may not want him racing against me.  As long as he's not in the 40-44 AG he's welcome to race.

How did your daughter do in her race?  You left that detail out.

Edit:

Adam, I am going to be getting another pair of shoes this week or next weekend too.  I have about 6 miles left in one pair of my shoes before I reach the max amount of mileage for them (350).  I also rotate shoes per run.  It seems to make a difference in how well the shoes hold up and how my knees feel during back to back running days.

______

Question for everyone:  What is your favorite brand and model running shoe?  I have learned that Mizuno Wave Inspires are pretty much the best thing for me.

Edited by DirkP 2011-04-03 6:34 PM
2011-04-04 2:52 AM
in reply to: #3427803

User image

Regular
Everywhere
DirkP - 2011-04-04 12:30 AM

Question for everyone:  What is your favorite brand and model running shoe?  I have learned that Mizuno Wave Inspires are pretty much the best thing for me.

Its what all the cool kids wear

2011-04-04 4:13 AM

User image

Veteran

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I had some nice long runs and rides, finally building up some distance in all three sports. Every year it seems I am able to build on my base from the year before. What I can't believe is how much time training takes up. I have done no work around the house in months possibly years...but that is not important.... right? So what if the bathroom is falling apart and the yard looks like crap...much more important that I am healthy...right? Someone help me with this guilt I am having with my house neglect...LOL.

So just for the record when I first started on BT I thought these people are crazy they actually put the type of shoe they are wearing on the site talk about OCD. Then when I got my first pair of nice running shoes (Brooks Ghost III) I also put them up...I thought... they got me... they have sucked me into their world and now I am doomed to record every piece of clothing and equipment I ever wear. Well thank God...I am not there yet...but I now have two pairs of running shoes (never thought I would have two pair either)....and I cant wait to get back out on my Trail Gloves (my newest pair from Merrill/Vibram)....what have I done to myself...or should I say what have you people done to me ( much easier to justify when you can blame others).

Samantha- some run is better then none , you have something to build on and move forward.

Jayne - Let's recap here, surgery when...back in November or so...could not run for how long? Then had to wait another couple of weeks before the legs healed. So you have been officially back training for how long now... three weeks? Your race time alone is something to be proud of and second in your AG out of 15 is just icing on the cake. So celebrate......

Edited by bfwhitt 2011-04-04 8:40 AM
2011-04-04 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3427665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

Congrats Jayne

jfought - 2011-04-03 9:53 PM

I placed 2nd in my age group!! 

The way I see it, 2nd place is 2nd place, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise

Dirk, I find that the Saucony ProGrid Guide range has been the most comfortable/supportive shoes for me and have just upgraded from the 2's to the 3's.

Edited by sicone 2011-04-04 7:41 AM
2011-04-05 8:26 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

Ok so yesterday i ran to the pool so fast i lost my underwear!Surprised

(they and my towel fell out of my bag on route) so i still swam and ran home wet picking up my towel at the end of my road.

2011-04-05 10:53 AM

User image

Regular

dave- Sealed too funny! that is just too funny....did you find the undies too?

bfwhitt- Can't help you with the guilt cuz I gots my own lol. I have found ways to multitask much much more since I began this journey of triathlon. and I haven't even started training for longer distances yet.  but LOVE the comment on the BT OCD  you seem to be catching. When did you begin triathlon training?

Samantha- Go girl go!!!! so good to hear that you have some direction now!!! one mile is a long run when you are starting from 0. so take it easy and slowly work your way back up!

2011-04-05 1:31 PM

User image

Master

Hey everyone!  I know I haven't been around much.  School and work have kept me really busy lately.  I have a favor to ask though.  I am currently working on my thesis and need people to take my survey.  I would really appreciate if you took the time to complete it but it's ok if you do not want to.   It's kinda long (roughly 15 minutes to complete)  Here's the link: http://clemson.qualtrics.com//SE/?SID=SV_0GLDbSjdlfcTA1u

Thanks so much!!

2011-04-05 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3430938

User image

Expert
MI

Jayne, 2nd in AG is 2nd in AG; congrats!!

Bruce, I can relate about recording shoes!!!  I used to not see the purpose and thought I would never do that, but now I record what shoes I wear, because it probably is good to know how many miles I'm wearing them.  I also thought it may be over the top to record which bike you use, but if I ever get a new bike, I may also start recording the bike I use.  (I would say there is no need if the bike has an odometer, but I also have the experience of losing the odo!)  I think the usage your equipment gets is generally good to know, so at least you'll have an idea of when it may be getting close to retiring something.  (esp shoes!)

I feel I will start coming to the thread regularly again since I am back to logging in my training log!  (albeit short runs)  Hopefully my injury doesn't take a bad turn to force me to stop!!

2011-04-05 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3431026

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Shoes are probably the most important thing I can think of to track mileage on, but I see the bike as important as well.  I track the tires and the bike.  Tires, so I can figure out which ones are the best for mileage and the bike so I can make sure I get the right maintenance completed on it.  (Right now my bike is well overdue for a good over all tune up.)

I have pretty much tracked my run mileage since I started wearing real running shoes.  I have tried several brands if shoes but I can't seem to get away from the Mizuno's.  I have tried Asics, Brooks and Addias and I thought all of them seemed to be a little to firm for my liking.

Samantha, I am glad to hear you are back in the swing of things, as much as you can be right now.  It's progress and I hope things keep going your way.  You have proven your dedication to stay in the training by all the people you have seen and your persistence to fight the injury.  You can teach many of us from your determination.  Keep it up.

2011-04-06 4:59 AM
in reply to: #3431463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
I definitely recommend tracking shoe milage as it gave me a very good indication that the pain in my knee was due to it being time to change them and could become more serious if left any longer.

2011-04-08 3:58 AM
in reply to: #3431805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Well, it seems this round of mentoring has come to a close and the new round has started up!
2011-04-08 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

but i like this group it didnt fall over in the middle

2011-04-08 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I think we have a little more time to post and ask questions if you all like.  I have enjoyed this mentor group and have appreciated the help you all have given me toward my training.  I will continue to post as until the new groups are active and I find one I would like to be active in.

I know I will be seeing Jayne at one of my races this season and I could run into a couple others throughout the coming races.  Tom and Samantha being those others I might run into.  If I ever decide to race in the UK maybe I 'll have the chance to race Adam and Stavros, but I am thinking I'm not going to be making that trip until I get my pro status and sponsorships........Yeah right.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 22