General Discussion Triathlon Talk » different muscles used on tri vs. road bike: newbie question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-21 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: different muscles used on tri vs. road bike: newbie question

I was doing some research about different muscles used for tri vs road bike.

Am I crazy or are these 2 different sources saying the complete oppostie things.    If so which one is correct.

Independent of goals (ie race faster on tri bike or be faster for group rides on roadie, if tri bikes are not allowed), and outdoor conditions (bundled up in layers might be easier on roadie, not on aeros)  is there any benefit (for strength or whatever) for splitting training equally during the off season?  For those of you that train on both, what percentage and why.

"The seat tube angle is also steeper on a tri bike than a road bike. What this means is unlike a road bike where the seat angle points towards the rear of the bike, the tri bike’s seat in more vertical. This positions the rider closer to the front of the bike and allows the rider to maintain a larger hip angle while in the aero position. This benefits the athlete by allowing them to utilize hamstring and glute muscles more effectively without relying too much on the quad muscles. You need as much energy in your quads that you can manage when it comes time to run off the bike, so minimizing quad strain on the bike portion of the race is crucial to fast triathlon run and overall times. In terms of pure speed and saving energy, a triathlon bike is king."

Taken from http://www.onlinetriathlontraining.com/road-bike-vs-triathlon-bike/

"Triathlon bikes are built differently than road bikes, so that you use your quad muscles more and your hamstring muscles less than on a road bike. This can benefit triathletes because the hamstrings are necessary for running, so using your quad muscles more on the bike saves your hamstring strength for the run."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/193083-tri-bikes-vs-road-bikes/#ixzz18m39Omsq

2010-12-21 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3256521

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: different muscles used on tri vs. road bike: newbie question
I tend to use my road bike early in the season.. helps strengthen the glutes and to help me get bike fitness back up.. As the season progresses.. I use TT more, becasue thats what i race with.. road bike is used less

so beginning of season road bike 75% TT bike 25%
Season through year end 85% TT bike and 15% road bike (usually for hills and something different to do).

Thats my equation tend to work for me..

TT bike arent built for comfort, made for speed.. hence the short front tube, etc.. and tired quads after a ride or race.. Road Bikes on the other hand, you can get comfy and can also sprint on them..

two different animals thus the two opposing ideas..

Edited by momo 2010-12-21 2:26 PM
2010-12-21 2:30 PM

User image

Elite
Miami

pretty sure you will run the same riding a tt or a road bike.

2010-12-21 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
I train on both.  Not sure of %.  Don't care and don't think it matters. 

I'm handcuffed right now with a cracked TT frame so am on the roadie but when I'm just plugging away on the trainer in the winter it doesn't matter.  I'll use spin bikes too.  When it gets warmer and I get closer to racing I'll be predominantly riding TT on outside rides.  I've never had a problem sitting in aero for my entire ride so don't really run into those issues about conditioning myself for the position but just to make sure I ride the TT consistently.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the different muscles argument.  To me fast is fast and power is power regardless of the bike.  To me it's 100% aerodynamic benefit and nothing to do with running unless you want to split hairs over physiology. 

If I do my transition run from TT, road, spin bike....  It all feels the same to me.  If you need to get used to a position then obviously it would matter more.
2010-12-21 2:41 PM

Master
portland, or
This comment is accurate:

"... allows the rider to maintain a larger hip angle while in the aero position"

Everything else is BS.

scott
2010-12-21 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Savannah

Don't believe the hype.  You use the same muscle groups on both bikes.  The tri bike doesn't help you "save your legs" for the run by using different muscles.  The geometry of a tri bike just allows you a better/more comfortable aero position. 

2010-12-21 4:48 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
That's mostly BS.  The difference between a tri bike and road bike from a triathlon standpoint is that the tri bike puts you in a more aerodynamic position.  This only saves your legs relative to a road bike if you race at the same speed on both bikes.  The decreased air resistance on a tri bike at a given speed means that you expend less energy.  This saves your legs for the run.  If you ride both at the same effort level, you will ride the tri bike faster than the road bike, and have an equal amount of fuel left in the tank for the run.

Another way to say it is that tri bikes are used because their aerodynamic advantages over a road bike result in faster triathlon times.

It has nothing to do with different muscles used.  The differences in muscle utilization are negligible.
2010-12-21 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3256785

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
TriMyBest - 2010-12-21 6:48 PM

If you ride both at the same effort level, you will ride the tri bike faster than the road bike, and have an equal amount of fuel left in the tank for the run.

A minor point, but if you ride both at the same effort level, you would expect to run slightly better off the tribike because you would have been on the bike for less time.

Shane
2010-12-21 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3256850

User image

Champion
the colony texas
the hip angle should be pretty much the same for both the road and tri bike,, The big difference is that on the tri bike you are in a more aero position, Less energy lost fighting wind resistance. So for the same effort or watts you should be faster on the tri bike.

2010-12-21 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3256850

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
gsmacleod - 2010-12-21 6:46 PM
TriMyBest - 2010-12-21 6:48 PM

If you ride both at the same effort level, you will ride the tri bike faster than the road bike, and have an equal amount of fuel left in the tank for the run.

A minor point, but if you ride both at the same effort level, you would expect to run slightly better off the tribike because you would have been on the bike for less time.

Shane

Good point!

That's kind of like if you get a flat tire, and it takes you 5 minutes to fix it, you didn't lose 5 minutes, you lost less because you got to rest for 5 minutes and were able to ride the remainder of the course faster than if you hadn't gotten the flat.

Edited by TriMyBest 2010-12-21 6:58 PM
2010-12-21 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3256785

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
TriMyBest - 2010-12-21 5:48 PM It has nothing to do with different muscles used.  The differences in muscle utilization are negligible.

That may be true, but I definitely feel a difference when I ride my tri-bike after I've been riding the roadie for a while.  It may be a small or subtle difference, but there is a difference... at least on my bikes and the way they're fitted. 

2010-12-22 5:54 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Tri bike allows you to get into a more aerodynamic position while still maintaining bike balance. Different muscles? Not enough that it will actually make a difference, i.e. minute if any.
2010-12-22 8:07 AM

Bedford, NH, USA
Published studies show that when cyclists, who predominantly ride either road or aero, are tested on road and aero bikes, each generates more power on the bike they usually train on. Not surprising, as adaptation is the key. So you can spend your watts on a road bike overcoming air drag or in aero going faster, but unless you train mostly in aero, the benefit will be reduced, as you will produce less wattage on the bike you train on less.
2010-12-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3256910

User image

New user
TriMyBest - 2010-12-21 6:48 PM That's kind of like if you get a flat tire, and it takes you 5 minutes to fix it, you didn't lose 5 minutes, you lost less because you got to rest for 5 minutes and were able to ride the remainder of the course faster than if you hadn't gotten the flat.

Unless when you have to change that flat your heart rate goes through the roof because you are so nervous!
2010-12-22 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3257497

User image

Master
aneal000 - 2010-12-22 11:33 AM

TriMyBest - 2010-12-21 6:48 PM That's kind of like if you get a flat tire, and it takes you 5 minutes to fix it, you didn't lose 5 minutes, you lost less because you got to rest for 5 minutes and were able to ride the remainder of the course faster than if you hadn't gotten the flat.

Unless when you have to change that flat your heart rate goes through the roof because you are so nervous!

...and how much blood the mosquitoes sucked out of your body while changing the flat, thus reducing your ability to transport and absorb oxygen.
2010-12-22 3:48 PM

Bedford, NH, USA

Influence of different racing positions on mechanical and electromyographic patterns during pedalling
S. Dorel1, A. Couturier1, F. Hug1,2
1National Institute for Sports and Physical Education (INSEP), Laboratory of Biomechanics and Physiology, F-75014, Paris,
France, 2University of Nantes, Nantes Atlantic Universities, Laboratory ‘Motricity, Interactions, Performance’ (JE 2438), F-44000, Nantes, France

Corresponding author: Franc¸ ois Hug, PhD, University of Nantes, UFR STAPS, Laboratory ‘Motricity, Interactions,
Performance’, JE 2438, 25 bis boulevard Guy Mollet, BP 72206, 44322 Nantes cedex 3, France, Tel: 133 2 51 83 72 24,
Fax:133 2 51 83 72 10, E-mail: [email protected]
Accepted for publication 27 November 2007

The aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that, in comparison with standard postures, aero posture (AP) would modify the coordination of lower limb muscles during pedalling and consequently would influence the pedal force production. Twelve triathletes were asked to pedal at an intensity near the ventilatory threshold (VT1D20%) and at an intenisty corresponding to the respiratory compensation point (RCP). For each intensity, subjects were tested under three positions: (1) upright posture (UP), (2) dropped posture (DP), and (3) AP. Gas exchanges, surface electromyography and pedal effective force were continuously recorded. No significant difference was found for the gas exchange variables among the three positions. Data illustrate a significant increase [gluteus maximus (GMax), vastus medialis (VM)] and decrease [rectus femoris (RF)] in electromyography (EMG) activity level in AP compared with UP at RCP. A significant shift forward of the EMG patterns (i.e. later onset of activation) was observed for RF (at VT1D20% and RCP), GMax, VL, and VM (at RCP) in AP compared with UP. These EMG changes are closely related to alteration of force profile in AP (higher downstroke positive peak force, lower upstroke negative peak force, and later occurrence of these peaks along the crank cycle).
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2007.00765.x/pdf

2010-12-22 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3258119

Master
portland, or
MaverickNH - 2010-12-22 12:48 PM

Influence of different racing positions on mechanical and electromyographic patterns during pedalling
1National Institute for Sports and Physical Education (INSEP), Laboratory of Biomechanics and Physiology, F-75014, Paris,
France, 2University of Nantes, Nantes Atlantic Universities, Laboratory ‘Motricity, Interactions, Performance’ (JE 2438), F-44000, Nantes, France

Corresponding author: Franc¸ ois Hug, PhD, University of Nantes, UFR STAPS, Laboratory ‘Motricity, Interactions,
Performance’, JE 2438, 25 bis boulevard Guy Mollet, BP 72206, 44322 Nantes cedex 3, France, Tel: 133 2 51 83 72 24,

The aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that, in comparison with standard postures, aero posture (AP) would modify the coordination of lower limb muscles during pedalling and consequently would influence the pedal force production. Twelve triathletes were asked to pedal at an intensity near the ventilatory threshold (VT1D20%) and at an intenisty corresponding to the respiratory compensation point (RCP). For each intensity, subjects were tested under three positions: (1) upright posture (UP), (2) dropped posture (DP), and (3) AP. Gas exchanges, surface electromyography and pedal effective force were continuously recorded. No significant difference was found for the gas exchange variables among the three positions. Data illustrate a significant increase [gluteus maximus (GMax), vastus medialis (VM)] and decrease [rectus femoris (RF)] in electromyography (EMG) activity level in AP compared with UP at RCP. A significant shift forward of the EMG patterns (i.e. later onset of activation) was observed for RF (at VT1D20% and RCP), GMax, VL, and VM (at RCP) in AP compared with UP. These EMG changes are closely related to alteration of force profile in AP (higher downstroke positive peak force, lower upstroke negative peak force, and later occurrence of these peaks along the crank cycle).

Had the test subjects not been forced to ride in an aero position with such an acute hip angle these factors:

"These EMG changes are closely related to alteration of force profile in AP (higher downstroke positive peak force, lower upstroke negative peak force, and later occurrence of these peaks along the crank cycle)."

Would have likely been eliminated, or at least minimized. Which takes us back to the benefit of a tri/tt bike vs. a road bike. Keep the hip angle open while maximizing aero positioning.

scott
2010-12-22 8:54 PM

User image

Fishers, IN

You are not crazy, I too have come accross those contradicting statements on a regular basis.  To me, the Tri bike uses more quads than the road bike.  Some say the tri bike "saves the hamstrings for the run". 

I will say, I read above where they say they suse the same muscles.  In a general sense that might be true as in leg muscles, but if you go a long time between and then switch you will definitely notice a difference. 

As for power generation, some pretty reputable cycling coaches (one that has coached national champion collegiate team and once an Olympic caliber cyclist) state that with equal training you will generally put out ~5% more power on a road bike than a tri bike, but the aero advantage outweighs the power difference. 

Edited by rc63413 2010-12-22 9:04 PM
2010-12-23 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Great thread, it would be good to see the origins of these ideas traced, I have also been very confused by the claims about different muscle recruitment.
2010-12-23 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
There is absolutely a difference in muscles used.  Not ALL but SOME.  Most are probably the same, but the different positions require different levels of work from the muscles involved.  Mostly overlap, but some change in which muscles are working or how much.

When I bought my Tri bike I noticed I was faster and that my legs were more sore than usual.  Took several rides to 'get used' to it.

Wasn't enough to really slow me down, and it wasn't painful per se, but more than noticeable.

For someone that switches between 2 or more bikes frequently I doubt they'd notice.  If you use them both regularly I imagine ALL the involved muscles would get enough use to not feel the difference.

-eric
2010-12-23 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3258119

User image

Elite
MaverickNH - 2010-12-22 4:48 PM

x2  there is absolute diference in emg studies comparing upright to aero position....I do not want to clog this board with endless research...biomechanically you still use the quads in both positions  but to a slightly lesser degree on tri bike and the glutes and hamstring activity increases due to this biomechanical change.  you may not notice the difference as much comparing a road to tri bike, but try riding a hybrid compared to a tri bike with the same gear set

2010-12-23 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3259690

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
FELTGood - 2010-12-23 5:55 PM

x2  there is absolute diference in emg studies comparing upright to aero position....

There are studies out there, but all of the ones that I am familiar with have lots of noise which calls into question the conclusions.

Shane

2010-12-23 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3259880

User image

Fishers, IN
I know where the pain is for me when on the tri bike and where it is not.  The forward position definitely takes a greater toll on my quads and I do not enguage my hamstrings to the same extent as I do when on my road bike. 
2010-12-23 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
I just got a tri bike, and after riding a road bike only for years, I feel the tri bike offers aero advantages, but really can't feel much difference in muscle usage.  I feel as if I am almost in the same position as my road bike, only rotated more forward.  That being said, I do feel my neck having to get used to the position.

I think the BIGGEST difference would be riding a tri bike vs. riding a road bike with aero bars.  Bars on the road bike really decreased my hip angle and really caused all kinds of comfort problems, because I was basically in a shallow seat angle and bent over to get aero... the tri bike and the steep seat angle takes care of that for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » different muscles used on tri vs. road bike: newbie question Rss Feed