BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2010-12-21 9:11 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now
NAME: GaryRm - Gary
STORY: Short story was I had started the middle age bulg.  Both my father and brother died because of unhealthy lifestyles.  Started running and was injured in ditch fall.  Knee surgery and Dr said try swimming and biking as cross training.  Several online friends were starting Tri's and encouraged me to start.  Was hooked after the first race.
FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20+ years with two wonderful, healthy children.
CURRENT TRAINING: I am signed up for another HIM in April 2011 and my first full in Sept 2011.  I keep to a balanced training plan and attempted to avoid injury as much as possible. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I completed several sprints, my first HIM, an Aquabike Oly, and did the swim and bike of the B2B full as part of a relay team. 
2011 RACES:  NOLA 70.3, Redman full, Big Cajun Oly and one or two sprints
WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost about 8 lbs in the last couple of months and want to lose another 5 lbs 
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been part of Left.Right.Repeat's mentor group for two years now and have seen the power of a great mentor group.  While I will remain a member of that group I wanted to give back to this community from which I have received so much.  I have a great sense of humor and use that in a way to build fellowship.  I want to build a group that can rely on each of its members to help one another.

Current Group:

Gary's Group

GaryRM- Gary

Elizabethk- Elizabeth                        Panther- Dave   

CCoffin- Chris                                    ransick- Mike    

Scottyv6290- Scott                           Dorm57- Dorm

coexist- Sarah                                   leftrunner- Rob

Stratigos- Tracy                                Plato73- Jose

DWPigott- David                               wells57 

bermudagirl1                                    fitmomma2010- Shelly

2010-12-28 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group
Awesome that this group is now open!  I am really excited about 2011 and really hope to pull together a great group.  If you join please do a post similar to my first post.
2010-12-29 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open
Hello Gary, I would like to join your group.

STORY: Story is I'm a 46 year old guy that turns a year older next year. I have 2 years of sprints under my belt, 2 marathons, and I did my first half in 2010. I still consider myself a beginner. I'm about 25 pounds on the heavy side.
FAMILY STATUS: Married for 19+ years with two wonderful, healthy children.
CURRENT TRAINING: I have been doing about 4-6 hours of training since the HIM in October. My training for next years events starts on Monday.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I did 1 sprint in May which I did everything wrong before the race: Ate a big dinner at 9:00pm, drank a few to many beers and went to bed about midnight. Woke up with a slight headache, and went and did the race. Finished in a very slow 1hr50min. I also did a HIM in Austin. I'm still slow, but finished in 7hrs57min.
2011 RACES: Half-Marathon in April, sprint in May, and KS70.3 in June. take a break, and then Hy-Vee or HIM Redman in September.
WEIGHTLOSS: I was in the 230s in Janurary of 2010. At the HIM in October, I was 217. I held 217 until thanksgiving. Now i'm starting to creep back up. I have another 1 or 2 more days of good eating and then back to a more disciplined diet on Jan 4th. I would like to be right around 200 by the April half marathon, and 195 for the HIM in June.
2010-12-29 10:28 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Randy - Welcome!  And hopefully will see you at Redman!

Edited by GaryRM 2010-12-29 10:28 AM
2010-12-29 1:52 PM

User image

Hi, Guys! Want to join your group!

NAME: Kinesio/Kristina

STORY: I have been doing sprint distance triathlons & would like to do a Olympic then maybe a Half Aquabike.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily Married 7 1/2 years. Daughters: 6 years & 3 years.

CURRENT TRAINING: Swim 2-3 days on a Masters swim team, biking 1 day (will pick up when weather is better, April), Running 2-3days per week started running again since beginning of Dec.

2011 RACES: Jan 8th- Duathlon 2mil Run/ 7mil Bike/ 2mil. The rest TBA.

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to lose a bunch. Have a trainer to strenghten & keep me on track.

Can't wait to hear from you all & see what you are up to.

- Kristina

2010-12-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3266565

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Kristina - Welcome!

Can't wait to get this group going!

2010-12-29 6:25 PM

Subject: I'd like to join!
NAME:  Johnny
STORY: 44 year old father of two who has been married 17 years and have seen the team sports I played like basketball and even my running (ran some 13.1's, even a marathon BACK in the day) taper to nothing.  I'm a manager for a company and I have to travel a lot so that has been my excuse- "How can I possible stay in shape and eat well in hotels and airplanes?"  It's a good excuse, actually, but I'm tired of it.  Dusted off the road bike, have it on a wind trainer, new running shoes and I'm up to 4 miles at a time.  Bought the "Time Crunched Triathlete" book and feeling very motivated to make a big life change and get back to being the fit athlete (and 25 pounds lighter to 175) I used to be. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: To commit myself I've signed up for a 10k the end of January (Groundhog Run), a St. Pat's 4-miler, a half marathon in April (hey, I paid- better up those miles, huh?) and a duathlon in May (3m run, 12m bike, 3m run).  My eyes are on (potentially) the Branson HIM in September but if I fall short and get fit, race in a few sprints and am ready for more distance next year I'd be thrilled with that outcome. 
BOTTOM LINE:  I'm kind of a team guy, at work and with my friends.  I love to support other people and am very open to coaching, advice and even a kick in the butt if I ever say, "Well, I've been traveling a lot and...". 

So, Gary, thanks for taking the lead.  If there's room I'm in. 

2010-12-29 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

I would like to join your group.

NAME:
jpfeife - Justin
STORY: My first triathlon was last summer. An annoying coworker was talking about how he was training for a triathlon so I thought it couldn't be that hard, 3 months later I finished my first sprint. I borrowed a friends road bike which was way too big for me but I've been bitten by the triathlon bug. My wife and inlaws are into running so it helps having something in common with them.
FAMILY STATUS: I'm 29 years old and married for 5+ years with two girls 4 and 9mo.
CURRENT TRAINING: Due to have 2 little kids training time can be hard to come by. Most of my training is done at the YMCA from 4:30am-6:00am. Next week I plan on buying my first road bike. Currently i run 20-30 miles a week, haven't done much biking (waiting until I buy mine), I lap swim about 3 miles a week in YMCA pool 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 1 duathlon, 1 sprint triathlon, 1 5K. It wasn't a race but I also did a century ride
2011 RACES:  I would like to do at least 2-3 sprints, hopefully an oly and a handful of road races
WEIGHTLOSS: Since the beginning of my training I've lost about 10-15 lbs but would like to lose more

2010-12-29 7:31 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Johnny and Justin - Welcome to both of you!

One thing I am seeing (which is great) is target goals for 2011.  Having races that you have signed up and committed to tend to keep us on track and training.  Having a target race gives you a hard date to make, you either race or you don't.  Weight loss goals are a little harder and something I would like the group to discuss.  I have a few lbs to lose so I obviously don't have it down either.

BTW, one thing I didn't mention is that I do have a sense of humor (to give you a clue Airplane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Hot Shots are some of my favorite movies) so I will interject humor as we go along. 
2010-12-29 7:32 PM

User image

North Dallas Forty
Gary, I'd like to join your group.  Here's my info

NAME: szbert, Bert

STORY: 49 years young. Never did a Tri. Never even thought of it until about two weeks ago when I discovered barefoot running and that I could run again (All previous attempts at running led to stress fractures and other injuries.)  I've got a ton of weight to lose and need to improve my health but this is it I'm pumped.  I've already set my sights on a Tri in September 2011 (Paid for it so I've got the $$ to motivate me) and will try to do a starter or sprint tri before that in May-June.   I'm a former pro cyclist so that part should be my strength.  I used to be a strong swimmer, but that was eons ago.  So I've got a long way to go.  But I won't stop.
FAMILY STATUS: Married, one active 14 year old
THIS YEARS RACES:  None
2011 RACES: I'll work toward running a few 5Ks early before trying my first Tri in May-June 
 WEIGHTLOSS:  Started out at 283 four weeks ago and have lost about 9lbs since.  Yeah, I'm a Clydesdale for sure and have a long way to go.

2010-12-29 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3267128

User image

North Dallas Forty
GaryRM - 2010-12-29 7:31 PM 
BTW, one thing I didn't mention is that I do have a sense of humor (to give you a clue Airplane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Hot Shots are some of my favorite movies) so I will interject humor as we go along. 

We like the same kind of movies.  This should be fun! 

2010-12-29 7:36 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Bert - Welcome!

A couple of things that will help are:
1.  I am going to use the names listed on your intro, if you want to use another name/nickname please let me know.
2.  Put your "A" races in your signature.  You don't need to list all of your 2011 but just a few "A" races.

With all of the weight loss talk can everyone throw out one weightloss tip that has worked for them?
2010-12-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3267140

User image

North Dallas Forty
GaryRM - 2010-12-29 7:36 PM 

With all of the weight loss talk can everyone throw out one weightloss tip that has worked for them?

Whatever portion size I get in a restaurant, cut it in half and ask for the takeaway box right away. (Or at least push it aside if I'm at a business lunch)  Same at home, just take half the amount I used to eat.  I was supersizing myself!Laughing 
2010-12-29 9:56 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Mine is that when I start my diet I start writing down everything I eat and log the amount of calories (usually a rough estimate).  I try to keep myself to about 1000 calories during the day and then just try to have a healthy dinner and a low-cal beer.  My wife cooks healthy dinners so I don't worry too much about dinner, she has it covered.

I have to admit business lunches are my down fall. 
2010-12-29 10:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Still have room for one more?

NAME: Marcie

STORY: I have been doing tri's on and off for about 9 years now (though more 'off' than 'on' due to babies), but have really jumped back in over the past 2 years.  I consider myself a strong swimmer, decent bike and very weak runner.  I decided to jump in with both feet this year and registered for my first half IM, so I am already scared about that 13.1.  My goal will be to build up my running endurance to actually RUN the entire thing.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three very energetic boys (8, 4 and 2).

CURRENT TRAINING:  Current get to the YMCA, where I do most of my training due to the very lovely kids corner they have, about 3 times a week.  This past summer I rode my bike to work, which worked out fantastic to get some additional training in (looking forward to getting some warm weather again!)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I ran a few 5K races, and completed a few sprint tri's and the hilly hundred bike course in October.

2011 RACES:  Right now registered for Galena Tri, Chisago Lakes MN Half IM, a full marathon as one of four runners, and maybe some 5K / 10K's thrown in for fun.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really a goal, I try to eat healthy and I find if I don't stress about it, it takes care of itself as long as I am consistently training.

Really looking forward to getting to know everyone!  I really could use the support and mentoring for this half IM I have committed myself to!! 

2010-12-30 12:09 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Welcome Marcie!

Don't worry, we will get you thru your HIM!

2010-12-30 12:31 AM
in reply to: #3267424

Just noticed Randy is from Lee's Summit, my hometown growing up.  Randy, I live in KC/Plaza area now.  If we both stay committed maybe we can work in some long runs or bike rides down the road.  Looking at your schedule we may have already signed up for some of the same runs.  Good luck!

2010-12-30 2:40 AM

Hi Gary,

I would like to join your team.

I am turning 42 this year.  I have been married for 20 years to the same wonderful woman and have one daughter.  I am as new as they come.  I have been working on weight loss and working toward my first Tri.  I know that I need some help from experienced people including help in training and gear. 

Thanks

Jerry
2010-12-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3267456

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
lefflje1 - 2010-12-30 2:40 AM Hi Gary,

I would like to join your team.

I am turning 42 this year.  I have been married for 20 years to the same wonderful woman and have one daughter.  I am as new as they come.  I have been working on weight loss and working toward my first Tri.  I know that I need some help from experienced people including help in training and gear. 

Thanks

Jerry

Welcome Jerry!
2010-12-30 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Hi Gary,
I would love to join your group.

Name: Shelly
Story: I'll try to give the quick version- lol. I am 41 and a three time cancer survivor. I had really gotten very bad at not taking of myself and always putting others first. Last year, I decided that had to stop. I started exercising and eating right and lost just under 50 pounds. I am in the best shape I've ever been in and decided I wanted to complete a triathlon. I chose the Aflac Iron Girl and will register tomorrow morning- yay! It is my first and though I'm in the best shape that I've ever been in, I'm not where I need to be for May. I need to get the swim part down, improve my running- which is walking right now-lol- and get better on the bike. My goal is not to win but to finish- and hopefully in the top half of my age group and not the bottom half.
Family Status :- married for 20 years to an awesome man and have three earth angels or devils depending on the day- ages 18,17 and 8 and have one angel in heaven who would be 10.
Current Training- I will sign up for the New Orleans Iron Girl - registration opens tomorrow- yay! I am totally new to training though. I have bought two training books and have started walking and biking around the neighborhood. I also go to fitness classes like Body Pump, step and Tone and cardio sculpt four-five times a week.
2011 Races- Aflac Iron Girl May 22
Weight loss- I have lost almost 50lbs in the last 18mos. and would like to drop 5-10 more.

I am excited to begin this journey and am looking forward to learning and growing along the way. I love meeting new people and getting / giving good advice. I have a ton to learn about triathlons and can't wait to start asking questions and meet everyone.

Shelly
2010-12-30 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3268036

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
fitmomma2010 - 2010-12-30 10:42 AM Hi Gary,
I would love to join your group.

Name: Shelly
Story: I'll try to give the quick version- lol. I am 41 and a three time cancer survivor. I had really gotten very bad at not taking of myself and always putting others first. Last year, I decided that had to stop. I started exercising and eating right and lost just under 50 pounds. I am in the best shape I've ever been in and decided I wanted to complete a triathlon. I chose the Aflac Iron Girl and will register tomorrow morning- yay! It is my first and though I'm in the best shape that I've ever been in, I'm not where I need to be for May. I need to get the swim part down, improve my running- which is walking right now-lol- and get better on the bike. My goal is not to win but to finish- and hopefully in the top half of my age group and not the bottom half.
Family Status :- married for 20 years to an awesome man and have three earth angels or devils depending on the day- ages 18,17 and 8 and have one angel in heaven who would be 10.
Current Training- I will sign up for the New Orleans Iron Girl - registration opens tomorrow- yay! I am totally new to training though. I have bought two training books and have started walking and biking around the neighborhood. I also go to fitness classes like Body Pump, step and Tone and cardio sculpt four-five times a week.
2011 Races- Aflac Iron Girl May 22
Weight loss- I have lost almost 50lbs in the last 18mos. and would like to drop 5-10 more.

I am excited to begin this journey and am looking forward to learning and growing along the way. I love meeting new people and getting / giving good advice. I have a ton to learn about triathlons and can't wait to start asking questions and meet everyone.

Shelly

Shelly - Welcome!  I have a buddy up in Mississippi who I hope to ride the Tammney trace with someday.  Hopefully you can join us sometime.

2010-12-30 11:29 AM

Is there room for one more?

NAME: Cayenne/Debbie

STORY: Been doing tris on and off for 10 years and pretty solidly for 3-4 years now. Too slow for sprints so I like the longer stuff(HIM, marathons, iron distance). Need to really work on speed. I can go forever but at a snails pace. I am 52 years old with a couple of ortho issues going that slow me down a bit. I train alone 99% of the time and don't mind it much at all. I stay motivated for the training, it is the diet that kills me.

FAMILY: Married/ no human kids. A 135 pound bullmastiff named Koloff

CURRENT TRAINING: Just trying to survive the holidays. Run 3 days a week/ride2-3/swim 2 days with weight workouts 2 days a week.

THIS YEARS RACES: Completed HIM in May then completed American TTT in Oct. Good year.

2011 races: Another HIM in May then do B2B again only faster this time. I did it in 2009(slow).

Weight loss: I really need to drop 20 pounds this year before B2B. Quite a struggle all my life and always will be!
2010-12-30 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3267424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi Gary.  I am brand new to the forum and the sport as well.  My story and info are below but I'd really like to get started with training, some helpful advice with the sport and certainly hope there's room for one more in the group.

MY STORY: I'm a 54 year old guy that has allowed the couch to really creep up and pour the weight on.  I’ve been in the gym on and off for 3-4 years now and the current sports I’m passionate about are skiing, cycling and golf.  As far as tri-sports are concerned I’m definitely in the rank beginners box.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 34+ years with 3 daughters.  All daughters are out of the house, so the wife and I are empty nesters.  The daughters and I still enjoy skiing and snowboarding together.  The oldest daughter is a runner and has competed in several runs.  I’d like to get involved and participate in races with her and duathlons.  

CURRENT TRAINING: Spinning and cycling.  I’ve been steadily spinning and cycling each week since about June and really love the cycling sport.  This boils down to about 4-5 hours each week for training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Zero, NADA - ZIP

2011 RACES: Sprint in March - Duathlon in April and another Sprint in June.   After these, I’ll evaluate how I’m doing and go from there.

WEIGHTLOSS: I was waaay up there in June and have dropped ~25lbs, but still need to lose another ~30lbs. 

So I look forward to the help, coaching and advice.  Ciaoo ...

Edited by Dorm57 2010-12-30 12:38 PM
2010-12-30 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3264599

Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group
Hello Gary (and others)

With one day left in 2010 I figured I should actually start sharing new year's resolutions, like taking up Triathloning again. I loved your post, and the replies it generated so I`m hoping there's room for a token Canadian...?

STORY: I haven't raced in over 7 years, mostly due to having developed/identified a chronic condition (Ankylosing Spondylitis, which is like rheumatoid arthritis), had a couple of surgeries and various and sundry setbacks associated with being a 46 year old female. However, I just hired a new personal trainer and have had 2 sessions so far, joined the fitness facility down the road (well, a quick ride down the road on my bike) a couple of weeks ago and bought a new pair of running shoes yesterday. If nothing else, I`m certainly looking like I`m about to make a come back!
FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kids
CURRENT TRAINING: Just started again, although I do not own a car so have a fairly solid base of walking and cycling everywhere.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Zilch
2011 RACES: Half-Marathon in our nation's capital which is across the river from where I live in Hull,Québec, and one or two triathlons which may feature canoeing/kayaking instead of swimming, these generally start in May/June, once snow has melted and water has begun to warm. I live on the edge of the Ottawa River which is often used for open water swims. I love pool swimming but my experience in triathlons was (being middle of pack) a lot of slaps, kicks and profuse apologies from the 200+ women as we all descended into the water en masse.
WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 25 pounds when I first moved here almost 2 years ago from Toronto. I need to shed another 25, hence the trainer, the nutrition plan he is developing and a freezer full of extra lean meat (apologies to vegetarians and vegans out there) and a cupboard stocked with whole grains, beans and lentils. I belong what we call a solidarity market which promotes food from local farmers so lots of fresh, local produce in the giving months and good quality frozen during the winter.
DIET TIP: 5-6 meals a day, always mix protein and carbs, make room for chocolate somehow...
2010-12-30 12:57 PM

Hi Gary,

I would like to join your group.  I am a 55 year old former triathlete - although I use the term loosely.  I've raced a lot, but was never really competitive.  I stopped racing about 3 years ago, and am trying to re-enter the sport.  I need to lose weight and build my aerobic base back, especially with running.  I am entered in the Columbia triathlon, in Md.  I need to prepare for that.  I have access to triathlon clubs in Md., but feel too intimidated to join them just yet.  I have let myself get out of shape, and need some motivation to get close to where I was before.

Thank you,

Karen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115