BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-08-31 9:03 AM
in reply to: Brett's

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training
Hour plus ride in today. Lucked out as I thought I was going to have to work today but will have to work Sunday and Monday. We have a lot of stuff going on thru Sept and it will be a busy time for me.

2013-08-31 2:42 PM
in reply to: GaryRM

User image

Just finished off my biggest training week to date. Got in 3x on each discipline. Also, this is the first week where I haven't had knee tenderness after running.

Two weeks to go until my first tri. Feeling pretty optimistic.
2013-08-31 5:06 PM

User image

Hi Gary!

I would like to join your Group.

My name is Nuno and I am from Portugal. I have now about 112kg and I want to pursue a more health life syle. I used to run about 10k/15k but now I am with a training program to do bike and run. Later I will join swimming!

I want very much to change my life so I hope you can help me to put me on the right path!

Thanks.

Nuno
2013-08-31 5:17 PM
in reply to: nbarata

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Originally posted by nbarata

Hi Gary!

I would like to join your Group.

My name is Nuno and I am from Portugal. I have now about 112kg and I want to pursue a more health life syle. I used to run about 10k/15k but now I am with a training program to do bike and run. Later I will join swimming!

I want very much to change my life so I hope you can help me to put me on the right path!

Thanks.

Nuno

Nuno, Welcome!!!!
2013-08-31 7:17 PM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Originally posted by jrensink78

Just finished off my biggest training week to date. Got in 3x on each discipline. Also, this is the first week where I haven't had knee tenderness after running.

Two weeks to go until my first tri. Feeling pretty optimistic.

Great week of training. Good luck on the first tri!
2013-08-31 7:41 PM

User image

Regular
NW Houston
Originally posted by Brett's

Training starts Monday morning for the marathon in February. Planning a long run of about 12 miles. Hopefully before the heat of the day sets in.
Hope all is well with everyone and seasons are going as planned.

Planning on running a half in January and do Texas Ironman in May. To that end, ran 10 miles today but did not avoid the heat of the day (to my chagrin). Houston heats up early in the morning and I didn't get out until 8:30. Two hours later, I was suffering. I can't wait until it's easy to run the longer runs but I'm following a plan that will get me there.

Good luck to you!

2013-09-01 7:40 AM
in reply to: sspicer

User image

Wow, some big runners in the group. Good job getting in those miles out on the road.
2013-09-02 6:55 AM

User image

Woke up this morning and decided to check my HR and it was 49bpm. Hey I'm impressed! Long run was rained out. Bad thunderstorm going through. Maybe it will clear up later on and I can still get it in.
2013-09-02 7:00 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Had to work most of yesterday but decided to get a run in mid-afternoon. Very hot and mainly asphalt/cement neighborhood with little shade. Not a great run, next time I am using the treadmill at work. Have to work today also and will probably use the treadmill.
2013-09-02 1:54 PM

User image

Got in a nice bike ride (for me) at 21 miles averaging about 16.5 mph. My longest and fastest so far. Took a little run around the block afterwards to see how that's going to feel. Nice wobbly feeling for the first minute or so.
2013-09-02 2:06 PM

User image

Hoping to get some feedback from the group for my situation...

After my first tri in a couple of weeks, that'll be the end of my tri season (I'll have a few running races to go). I really want to shoot for doing a HIM in my home town race at the end of July 2014. Assuming I stay motivated and avoid any significant injuries, I think it's a doable goal. I was wondering what a good training plan would be to get from beginner sprint to HIM in 10 months.

I was thinking of maybe following a sprint-to-Oly training plan followed by an Oly-to-HIM plan. Does that sound reasonable, or would there be a better method?

2013-09-04 2:10 PM

I am new to training and want to train for a sprint/oly tri next spring, is there anyone who would be willing to share some workouts to get me going in the right direction?
2013-09-04 7:03 PM
in reply to: heltonjjh

User image

Originally posted by heltonjjh

I am new to training and want to train for a sprint/oly tri next spring, is there anyone who would be willing to share some workouts to get me going in the right direction?

The free programs on this site are probably a good place to start.

Sprint plans

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Oly plans

Article about picking a plan.

2013-09-04 7:58 PM

User image

Got a nice hot 2 days of running in. Short 3 miles in yesterday at lunch and a 6 mile in today at lunch. May try for a 2mile speed run tomorrow or Friday. Going to try to get a long ride in Sunday morning before church if the weather holds out.
2013-09-04 9:08 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Agreed, the free plans work fairly well. I pay for the membership to create my own plans which work for me.

Rest day for me back at it tomorrow. Mentally worn down from work more than physical from workouts. Will be glad when things at work calm down but that won't happen until after 10/1
2013-09-06 9:40 PM

User image

Had a great day today. No training but did finally join my local tri club. So as of today I am a Vulcan Tri member! I am stoked about it. Not much else going on here. Going to try to get 40 miles in on the bike Sunday but other than that just going to enjoy my bday weekend.

2013-09-07 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Ahhhhmmmmm .... well it's been a while since I've posted with the group.  Hope all have been well, but there's some catching up work for me. 

My last race of the season is Sept 29th and training has been just OK.  Beautiful weather here today ... sunny and 70's so it's hard to decide ... 40'ish miles on the roadie, swim-run brick or just saddle up on the mountain bike for a couple of hours.

Ciao - Dorm

2013-09-07 2:11 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Dorm - great to see you back!

well I am supposed to race tomorrow but now have to work. My race at the end of the month is in danger also. We have a big implementation for 10/1 and its a race to the finish (no thanks to the government). Have been running and riding but only a few swims done.
2013-09-08 3:17 PM

User image

Had my Warrior Dash race yesterday. Still waiting on my results. But I at least achieved my primary goal of finishing without having to walk between obstacles.

It was fun. But I'm a bit sore and I ended up getting some blisters on my feet thanks to some pebbles making their way into my shoes on one of the water obstacles earlier on. No so thrilled about that with one week to go before my first triathlon. I suppose this was going to be a lighter week of training anyways.

2013-09-09 6:03 PM

User image

Got the Warrior Dash results today. I actually did better than I thought. Top 21% overall and top 33% in my age group. I averaged an 11:39 minute mile with obstacles where I'd be more likely to average an 11:00 mile without them. So I think I was doing better than average time for the actual running part.

I did start pretty strong and finished barely being able to jog. So I think I need to work on my pacing. Part of the issue was that I started off running with a buddy who's much faster than me. Need to make sure I just run my race regardless of who's around me.

Overall, I was happy to place as high as I did. I think I would have been happy just cracking the top 50% based on previous adventure races. I guess the training has actually been paying off. Getting more excited for Sunday's tri.

2013-09-11 8:04 PM

User image

Well it's been hot and humid here so far this week. Got 2 short 4 mile runs in Monday and Tuesday. Off today and run tomorrow. Either a run or bike Saturday morning. Just depends on how early I am able to get up.

Dorm- great to see u again! Hope all has been well.

2013-09-11 9:55 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Got the Warrior Dash results today. I actually did better than I thought. Top 21% overall and top 33% in my age group. I averaged an 11:39 minute mile with obstacles where I'd be more likely to average an 11:00 mile without them. So I think I was doing better than average time for the actual running part.

I did start pretty strong and finished barely being able to jog. So I think I need to work on my pacing. Part of the issue was that I started off running with a buddy who's much faster than me. Need to make sure I just run my race regardless of who's around me.

Overall, I was happy to place as high as I did. I think I would have been happy just cracking the top 50% based on previous adventure races. I guess the training has actually been paying off. Getting more excited for Sunday's tri.

Congrats!!!!! Nice job!
2013-09-11 9:55 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Congrats!!!!! Nice job!
2013-09-11 9:56 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Well, managed two swims this week and maybe a third Friday. Work is tough but getting runs and rides in as possible.

Keep up the effort everyone!
2013-09-12 12:53 PM

User image

Got in my last day of training before my first tri.  I'm giving myself 2 days off before the race to ensure fresh legs.  Thinking I'll spend some time tomorrow or Saturday running through some transition practice.

Here are my goals for the race.

1- Finish!

2- Finish in 1 hour 45 min or less

3- Finish without having to walk during the run

Side goal, no fatalities or significant injuries on my B-Day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115