BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-12-22 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED

When can I start mentoring?
I can begin immediately.

Note
This group is dedicated to women who will complete their first triathlon in 2011.

Name
Lora109/Lora

Story
I came to the sport of triathlon with absolutely no background in swimming, biking or running.  I couldn't even put my face in the water because I could not stand the water up my nose.  I was my high school track team’s equipment manager and honestly never thought I could run.  Biking?  Well, I hadn’t been on a bike since junior high.

With each passing birthday, staying fit became a higher priority.  I needed something extreme to keep me motivated and challenged, though, and nothing was fitting the bill.  One day, I saw an interview with Chef Rocco DiSpirito on the Today Show.  He said he’d been doing triathlons as of late.  I thought, “Hmm.  Triathlons.”

I did some research here on BT and realized this was something I really could do.  Sure it would be difficult, but it was attainable if I put in the work.

I wanted to be a triathlete!

I’ve now found a new passion for this sport because it has brought to my attention the potential that had been lying within me this entire time I’d spent thinking I couldn’t.  I love talking about the sport, writing about it and encouraging others in it.

If you want, you can check out my blog.

Family Status
Married with step-kids and 2 large dogs.

Current Training
The real training begins the first of January as I launch my official Ironman training. I'll be focusing on swimming, then biking, then running as swimming is my weakest and needs the attention. I'm currently researching training plans here on BT to decide which will be the best fit for me and my work schedule. I work for a small group of newspapers and life can get extremely busy at the drop of a hat.

2010 Races
1/9/10: YMCA Indoor Tri
7/25/10: Trek Women's Tri - Columbus
10/17/10: Columbus Half Marathon

2009 Races
4/18/09: Miami University Sprint Tri
6/27/09: Tri for the Cure Sprint Tri
8/2/09: East Fork Sprint Duathlon
9/27/09: Toyota Challenge Olympic Tri
11/26/09: Friends of Wilmington Parks Turkey Trot 10K

This Year’s Races
5/1/11: Flying Pig Half Marathon - REGISTERED
5/22/11: Little Smokies Half Ironman (Possible)
8/28/11: Ironman Kentucky (Pretty daggone possible)

Weight Loss
Dropping another 10 to 15 would be a bonus, but I feel healthy where I am. I really need to focus on strength training.

What Will Make Me a Good Mentor
Being a triathlete is one of the most exciting things I've done with my life - and I've had a great life.  I'll never forget the magic of crossing the finish line in my first tri. Cheering people on towards that same goal of crossing the finish line for the first time is the coolest.

Housekeeping
I'm keeping the group pretty small (8-12 women). Because I work full time, I want to make sure I can give everyone the attention they deserve.

So, if you'd like to come on board, just cut and paste my bio information into your Reply. Take out my stuff, of course, and replace it with your own.

As much as these forums are mentor-mentee, I encourage everyone in the group to open up their Training Log and encourage each other as well. The relationships you can build here with one another can also be a rewarding part of your journey.

Welcome!

Edited by Lora109 2011-01-05 8:39 AM

2010-12-23 2:30 AM
in reply to: #3257199

User image

San Francisco
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of First-Timers - OPEN
Hi Lora,

I am really drawn to your post and your group and would love to join to get me through a tri season; however, I have done one sprint triathlon before. The sprint I did was a couple of years ago, so truly feel as if I am starting with a clean slate and am going out for an olympic and potentially a half-ironman. So...am wondering if you would allow me to join your group this year or if I should look for another?

Thanks and thanks for offering your time to support new triathletes.

Mindy 
2010-12-23 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3258625

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
mindylea - 2010-12-23 3:30 AM Hi Lora,

I am really drawn to your post and your group and would love to join to get me through a tri season; however, I have done one sprint triathlon before. The sprint I did was a couple of years ago, so truly feel as if I am starting with a clean slate and am going out for an olympic and potentially a half-ironman. So...am wondering if you would allow me to join your group this year or if I should look for another?

Thanks and thanks for offering your time to support new triathletes.

Mindy 

You're more than welcome to join, Mindy! Just drop us your bio information when you get a chance. They haven't made the group live yet, so no big hurry. Merry Christmas!
2011-01-03 2:35 PM

User image

Long Beach, NY
Hi Lora!

Name

Tracy

Story
I am going on one year without having a cigarette and one goal I set for myself to stay smoke free is to complete a triathlon.  I currently live in Long Beach, NY and have access to the rec center, which has a pool.  I do have a crazy schedule but always manage to squeeze in time to work out.  Running is without a doubt my weakest event and I would say swimming is my strongest.

Family Status

Single, no kids

Current Training
Mostly running/biking on the boardwalk.  Joining the rec center and will have access to the pool.

Weight Loss
Eh, doesn't really matter.  I'm happy the way I am but would like to work on strength training and some toning.  I didn't gain a whole lot of weight after quitting smoking and actually have lost weight with the boardwalk running every weekend.  It's a 5 mile round trip.

Please let me know what else I need to do.

Thanks for doing this!

Tracy
2011-01-03 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3274801

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
tlynn721 - 2011-01-03 3:35 PM Hi Lora!

Name

Tracy

Story
I am going on one year without having a cigarette and one goal I set for myself to stay smoke free is to complete a triathlon.  I currently live in Long Beach, NY and have access to the rec center, which has a pool.  I do have a crazy schedule but always manage to squeeze in time to work out.  Running is without a doubt my weakest event and I would say swimming is my strongest.

Family Status

Single, no kids

Current Training
Mostly running/biking on the boardwalk.  Joining the rec center and will have access to the pool.

Weight Loss
Eh, doesn't really matter.  I'm happy the way I am but would like to work on strength training and some toning.  I didn't gain a whole lot of weight after quitting smoking and actually have lost weight with the boardwalk running every weekend.  It's a 5 mile round trip.

Please let me know what else I need to do.

Thanks for doing this!

Tracy

Welcome aboard, Tracy!!!! Congrats on quitting smoking and for being able to keep off the weight. That is one tough habit to break. That's great that you've been able to make time for exercising on a tight schedule. That's a lesson I seem to need to relearn sometimes.

Was there anything in particular that drew you to this sport? Do you have an inaugural race in mind as you begin this journey or are you still looking?

Looking forward to having you as part of the group!

- Lora
2011-01-03 3:44 PM

User image

Long Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - OPEN
Hi Lora,

I would like to do the Tobay, which isn't actually until August.  I'm still researching races though and would like to get at least 3 under my belt for the year.  I'm not even sure what drew me to it.  I think it's because I feel that the polar opposite of being an out of shape, overweight smoker is a triathlete.  I've been anxious to get this started and the goal for 2011 is to do this!

I appreciate you support and help.  I initially thought, okay, buy a bike, go running and I can already swim but there's so much more to it, like working out appropriately and what to eat.  I do have a fairly ravenous appetite and sometimes can't make it through a workout because I get really hungry.  Perhaps I'm snacking wrong.

I'm heading to the rec center tonight and will be joining.  I guess it's time to put a plan of action together, huh?

Thanks again!

Tracy

2011-01-03 4:01 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Name
Dawn

Story

I started running about 10 years ago and I've been addicted ever since.  I ran my first 1/2 marathon last year ( the Maine Marathon) and loved it!  I've been wanting to do more then just run and I thought, what better way to motivate myself then to do a Tri?

I can't wait to do my first tri, and I look forward to having you as a mentor!

Family Status
Married no kids, 1 hyper dog great for running and 2 cats. 

Current Training
I took swim lessons this fall, I went from being able to swim 1/4 of a lap to swimming about 600yds comfortably.  I have been swimming about 3 times a week, the past few weeks I've been slacking due to the holidays but I was back at it today.  I hurt my knee a few months ago running but I started again and this weekend ran a total of 7 miles.  I want to work on building up my running without hurting my knee again. 

Races- Last year I ran a 10k in august and the 1/2 marathon in October, other then that I mostly just trained.  In past years I've run one to two 10k's a year. 

Weight Loss
I'm always hoping to loose some weight but its not a big focus of mine, if I ended up dropping 10lbs I'd be happy. 

I have a very bad habit of not training in the winter and having to build back up come March.  My goal is to avoid this and get some inspiration/motivation to keep going this winter.  Training for a Tri should do it! 

I look forward to meeting new people and having you as a mentor Lora!

-Dawn

2011-01-03 4:31 PM

User image

San Francisco
Name: Mindy

Story:

I have been a on again off again endurance runner for the past 10 years. Two years ago, I completed one sprint distance triathlon and 2/3 of another sprint tri. However, I feel as if I am starting over completely, which is why I am  here in this group. My husband is a touring musician (most of the time) and this is his last year of full on touring, so I decided that I wanted to do something for myself before we "settle" down to have children. I would like to complete at least one Olympic triathlon this year and if all goes well, potentially a HIM!

My life is pretty hectic, between working at a non-profit, holding down the fort when my husband is away, etc..., so am looking for support to stay motivated and be sure I can accomplish my goals despite my hectic schedule and lifestyle.

Family Status: Married with two medium sized mutts

Current Training
At the moment, just an occasional run.

Weight Loss
I would like to loose some weight along the way, but that is not a big priority. My main goal is to get stronger and more confident in my swimming!

I am excited to be a part of this group and am already inspired! 

Thanks for your help!

Mindy 
2011-01-03 5:19 PM

Name
Rindynote

Story
Last January I decided that I had to do something about the slug that I had become, and started working out after many, many years of little-to-no exercise. I found the beginner triathlete website and thought about joining a mentor group last year, but chickened out -  I wasn't sure that I would be able to follow through in working out on a regular basis. I played lots of sports growing up, including track. But I was a sprinter and have never, ever, experienced a "runner's high"! I bought a road bike mid last year, and discovered I really like to bike. 

I did most of my training by myself, following the 20 week 3x per month training plan for an Olympic tri that I also found on this website. 

Although I completed my first triathlon, a Sprint Tri, last October in Long Beach, CA, I still feel very much like a beginner and would like to join this mentor group. Despite what I thought was a pretty good swimming background, I totally panicked when I hit the water during that race. The 62 degrees temp, wave start, and no wetsuit probably also didn't help! But I finished and decided I'd like to keep at it.

Family Status
47 years old, married, 2 teenagers. Have reached the point in life where my husband and I can go on a 1-2 hour bike ride on the weekends and still get home before our kids get out of bed!
Full-time job, with frequent travel required. 

Current Training
I've managed to work out pretty consistently, even during the recent holidays. I lost about 25 pounds last year and still keeping it off. I think I'd like to lose another 10 or so. 

Right now I'm planning on doing the OC Tri in May in Mission Viejo, CA. Its Olympic distance, but haven't registered yet, as I'm daunted by the swim (1500 meters) and wondering whether I could also do the hilly bike portion and the 10k run - all at one go. 

I'd be glad to open up my training log. Just not sure how to do that?!

Thanks for volunteering your time. Your enthusiasm and passion for this sport is contagious.

2011-01-03 8:02 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Name

Sarah

Story
I just turned 40 and have been lurking on BT for a little over a year. I ran a lot when I was young, but in my 20s and 30s was all over the place. I did a handful of 5ks but fell out of it. In the past several years, I swtiched careers then got a promotion so I can work 12-16 hour days sometimes. I intended to do the TOBAY last summer as tribute to my deceased parents but work got in the way of my training. Also, I can't swim yet.

Family Status

Married to an awesome supportive very athletic husband, we've been TTC

Current Training
I keep my log somewhat active here. Run 3-6 miles 2-3x week; Spinning, Swim drills, random stuff, in good weather I trained bike/run outdoors. I hired a coach to give me basic swim technique. With work I need some help figuring out how to create a training schedule I can stick to. For some reason, I have trouble making a PLAN when it comes to exercise. It's probably my resistance in general towards rules and authority

Weight Loss
I'm pretty slim, but I have a bit of a spare tire which doesn't look good on my 5 foot frame.

Goals
With other girls I'm hoping I can get and stay motivated!

2011-01-03 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3274965

User image

Queens/Nassau County
the TOBAY in Long Island? I can't find any info about the dates this year, do you have them? I planned on doing it last year but it didn't happen (I'm NOT a swimmer. I have phobias) but hopefully 2011 is the year! If we're talking about the same event maybe we can do some open water practices.

2011-01-03 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3274965

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
tlynn721 - 2011-01-03 4:44 PM Hi Lora,

I would like to do the Tobay, which isn't actually until August.  I'm still researching races though and would like to get at least 3 under my belt for the year.  I'm not even sure what drew me to it.  I think it's because I feel that the polar opposite of being an out of shape, overweight smoker is a triathlete.  I've been anxious to get this started and the goal for 2011 is to do this!

I appreciate you support and help.  I initially thought, okay, buy a bike, go running and I can already swim but there's so much more to it, like working out appropriately and what to eat.  I do have a fairly ravenous appetite and sometimes can't make it through a workout because I get really hungry.  Perhaps I'm snacking wrong.

I'm heading to the rec center tonight and will be joining.  I guess it's time to put a plan of action together, huh?

Thanks again!

Tracy

August is plenty of time to get ready and three races is a good goal! I would spend the next couple of months checking out the races here on BT and also at active.com that might be of interest to you this year. A pros and cons list would then be helpful.

Ha ha, you're right. It is so much more than just going for a run and hoppin' on a bike, though sometimes it's easy to get caught up in all the dos and don'ts, too. Nutrition plays a bigger part in training than most of us would like to admit.

Congrats on joining the rec center. Especially during these colder months, it'll be a critical part of your journey.

Glad you're here!
2011-01-03 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3275000

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
plink - 2011-01-03 5:01 PM

Name
Dawn

Story

I started running about 10 years ago and I've been addicted ever since.  I ran my first 1/2 marathon last year ( the Maine Marathon) and loved it!  I've been wanting to do more then just run and I thought, what better way to motivate myself then to do a Tri?

I can't wait to do my first tri, and I look forward to having you as a mentor!

Family Status
Married no kids, 1 hyper dog great for running and 2 cats. 

Current Training
I took swim lessons this fall, I went from being able to swim 1/4 of a lap to swimming about 600yds comfortably.  I have been swimming about 3 times a week, the past few weeks I've been slacking due to the holidays but I was back at it today.  I hurt my knee a few months ago running but I started again and this weekend ran a total of 7 miles.  I want to work on building up my running without hurting my knee again. 

Races- Last year I ran a 10k in august and the 1/2 marathon in October, other then that I mostly just trained.  In past years I've run one to two 10k's a year. 

Weight Loss
I'm always hoping to loose some weight but its not a big focus of mine, if I ended up dropping 10lbs I'd be happy. 

I have a very bad habit of not training in the winter and having to build back up come March.  My goal is to avoid this and get some inspiration/motivation to keep going this winter.  Training for a Tri should do it! 

I look forward to meeting new people and having you as a mentor Lora!

-Dawn

Welcome to the group, Dawn, and to BT! Congrats on your first half marathon! That is so exciting! That is awesome that you can swim 600 comfortably having started out being able to not get very far. You must be so proud! I can also relate to the hyper dog situation. Is he/she able to go for longer runs with you?

That's great you were able to get in seven miles again. How did you injure your knee in the first place? Are you under a doctor's care?

Again, welcome aboard, Dawn. Great to have you here!
2011-01-03 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3275073

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
mindylea - 2011-01-03 5:31 PM Name: Mindy

Story:

I have been a on again off again endurance runner for the past 10 years. Two years ago, I completed one sprint distance triathlon and 2/3 of another sprint tri. However, I feel as if I am starting over completely, which is why I am  here in this group. My husband is a touring musician (most of the time) and this is his last year of full on touring, so I decided that I wanted to do something for myself before we "settle" down to have children. I would like to complete at least one Olympic triathlon this year and if all goes well, potentially a HIM!

My life is pretty hectic, between working at a non-profit, holding down the fort when my husband is away, etc..., so am looking for support to stay motivated and be sure I can accomplish my goals despite my hectic schedule and lifestyle.

Family Status: Married with two medium sized mutts

Current Training
At the moment, just an occasional run.

Weight Loss
I would like to loose some weight along the way, but that is not a big priority. My main goal is to get stronger and more confident in my swimming!

I am excited to be a part of this group and am already inspired! 

Thanks for your help!

Mindy 

Wow! Another 10-year running veteran in the group. I love it! Sounds like you've got a good sense of where things are headed in your life and where you want them to be now. Kudos for taking up the challenge! Training for a tri, especially a long distance one, and especially having plunked down the money for registration, is a great motivator.

Are your pups runner, too?

Glad to have you along, Mindy!
2011-01-03 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3275158

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
rindynote - 2011-01-03 6:19 PM

Name
Rindynote

Story
Last January I decided that I had to do something about the slug that I had become, and started working out after many, many years of little-to-no exercise. I found the beginner triathlete website and thought about joining a mentor group last year, but chickened out -  I wasn't sure that I would be able to follow through in working out on a regular basis. I played lots of sports growing up, including track. But I was a sprinter and have never, ever, experienced a "runner's high"! I bought a road bike mid last year, and discovered I really like to bike. 

I did most of my training by myself, following the 20 week 3x per month training plan for an Olympic tri that I also found on this website. 

Although I completed my first triathlon, a Sprint Tri, last October in Long Beach, CA, I still feel very much like a beginner and would like to join this mentor group. Despite what I thought was a pretty good swimming background, I totally panicked when I hit the water during that race. The 62 degrees temp, wave start, and no wetsuit probably also didn't help! But I finished and decided I'd like to keep at it.

Family Status
47 years old, married, 2 teenagers. Have reached the point in life where my husband and I can go on a 1-2 hour bike ride on the weekends and still get home before our kids get out of bed!
Full-time job, with frequent travel required. 

Current Training
I've managed to work out pretty consistently, even during the recent holidays. I lost about 25 pounds last year and still keeping it off. I think I'd like to lose another 10 or so. 

Right now I'm planning on doing the OC Tri in May in Mission Viejo, CA. Its Olympic distance, but haven't registered yet, as I'm daunted by the swim (1500 meters) and wondering whether I could also do the hilly bike portion and the 10k run - all at one go. 

I'd be glad to open up my training log. Just not sure how to do that?!

Thanks for volunteering your time. Your enthusiasm and passion for this sport is contagious.

Welcome to the group, Rindynote! That doggone swim gets the best of swimmers, so you're definitely not alone in that regard. Congrats on just starting, on just beginning to do something last year, and on your subsequent weight loss.

Is there a shorter distance tri that might help ease the intimidation? Perhaps even one with an indoor pool swim? That's great that you decided to keep at it even after that swim.

If you can spend some time training on hills, that will definitely help with that Oly tri if you should decide to do it.

OK, to open up your Training Log, here's what you do:

Go to the top of this site and click on the Settings button (will have a wrench icon). Then click on the Training Log Settings tab and make sure that nothing is checked. Then hit Update. That's it.

Again, welcome aboard. It's shaping up to be a great group!

2011-01-03 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3275453

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
shaptavajra - 2011-01-03 9:02 PM Name

Sarah

Story
I just turned 40 and have been lurking on BT for a little over a year. I ran a lot when I was young, but in my 20s and 30s was all over the place. I did a handful of 5ks but fell out of it. In the past several years, I swtiched careers then got a promotion so I can work 12-16 hour days sometimes. I intended to do the TOBAY last summer as tribute to my deceased parents but work got in the way of my training. Also, I can't swim yet.

Family Status

Married to an awesome supportive very athletic husband, we've been TTC

Current Training
I keep my log somewhat active here. Run 3-6 miles 2-3x week; Spinning, Swim drills, random stuff, in good weather I trained bike/run outdoors. I hired a coach to give me basic swim technique. With work I need some help figuring out how to create a training schedule I can stick to. For some reason, I have trouble making a PLAN when it comes to exercise. It's probably my resistance in general towards rules and authority

Weight Loss
I'm pretty slim, but I have a bit of a spare tire which doesn't look good on my 5 foot frame.

Goals
With other girls I'm hoping I can get and stay motivated!

Ha ha. Can completely relate to resistance towards rules and authority. Your work hours sound like mine most days. You mentioned wanting to do the TOBAY as a tribute to your parents. First, please accept my sympathies for your loss. I'm sorry to hear that. You mentioned having hired a swim coach, but not being a good swimmer yet. Are you still working with him/her?

That's great that you've got an athletic, supportive husband. My husband's not athletic but is supportive because he knows it's important to me.

Anyway, sounds like you've already got a nice base; just need some more quality time in the pool.

Looking forward to your journey. Welcome to the group, Sarah!

2011-01-03 10:03 PM

Hi Lora! Thanks for mentoring. I'm excited to join your group!

Name
Liz

Story

I'm a pretty healthy person and have made fitness a part of my life for about the past 5 years. I completed a half marathon in 2005, a 10-miler last spring, and several shorter distance runs in between. About two years ago I fell in love with biking, as both a recreational activity and a mode of transit, and I've done up to 30-mile rides (though not since last summer).

Now, however, I'm living in a city and working at a job where bike-commuting just isn't possible, and I really, REALLY miss the way exercise used to fit so smoothly into my day. I love a good run, but I'm not hardcore enough to run outdoors before or after work in the dark and cold -- and it's so hard to stay motivated for the treadmill. I want to set a goal to challenge myself and try something new, and triathlon combines two of my favorite exercise activities. As for the swimming... I haven't swam more than a lap since the day in 9th grade when I tried out for (and didn't make!) the swim team. But the gym I now belong to has a pool, and I just spent 8 bucks on a pair of goggles, so I guess I'm all in.

Family Status
Single, in a relationship.

Current Training
Some combination of running, yoga, and cardio classes, but looking forward to coming up with a more organized training schedule.

This Year’s Races
Not sure yet. One of the Philly sprints in the summer, or possibly the one my local Y puts on in the fall.

Weight Loss
Not my main goal, but always a nice side effect!
2011-01-03 10:10 PM

Subject: Still Open?
Hello Lora!
It seemed to be my luck today that I came across the mentor forum on this site when I sat down to do some research and start planning for my first triathalon this year!
I was just wondering if the group is still open and you have room for another member?
After reading your initial post I know you indicated that you preferred to have 8-12 women as part of your group.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience. I would love to be part of this group!

Thanks so much.

Raveen Kalra

2011-01-03 10:49 PM
in reply to: #3275595

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tip about training logs. I think mine is visible now. Looking forward to getting to know more about the members of our group and sharing words of encouragement!
2011-01-03 11:39 PM

User image

New user
Texas
If you still have a spot open, I would love for you to mentor me. And maybe two friends if I get them to log on. Let me know!Marie
2011-01-04 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3275469

User image

Long Beach, NY
Hi,

I haven't found the date for the Tobay Tri yet but it's usually August.  Just making assumptions!  Where in Nassau County are you?  I live in Long Beach and would love a workout partner   I'm also a certified scuba diver and have been swimming in the open ocean since I was 3 so I would be happy to work with you on any phobias you have about the water.  Let me know!

Tracy

2011-01-04 9:55 AM

Name
tdkennerly / Tracie

Story

I am a 26 year old substitute teacher and MBA student. As a athlete in school I was always fit and in shape. This all changed after getting pregnant. I have been on a weightloss journey after having my last 2 kids in two years and suffering from severe depression afterwards. I have done will so far and am down 74 lbs but I want to take it to the next level. I have never done a triathlon or even a 5k but I want to complete my first one this summer. I have found a few 5 and 10ks that I would like to complete before then. I look forward to knowing all of you and am so siked to be on this journey. I have always wanted to do a triathlon and am finally ready to complete this goal. I also plan on completing this journey on youtube. I have already posted my first video of weightloss shots and want to diary my triathlon training. My username is shrinkin2atriathlon if anyone wants to watch me.

Family Status
I have a large family. I am currently engaged and we have 5 children between us. I have a 16 year old step daughter, 11  year old son, 9 year old neice that I've raised since birth, a 3 year old daughter and 1.5 year old son. The are a great bunch and are excited to cheer me on during this journey.

Current Training

I have been working out in the gym for the past year. Mainly walking on inclines on the treadmill, classes and strength training. As of today I began running intervals for 30 min. I was suprised that I could actually run. lol. I hope to begin the swim and bike soon.

This Year’s Races
Febuary 12, 2011: Cupids chase 5k in Phildelphia, PA (hoping)
April 11, 2011: 2011 Tyler Arboretum 10k, Media, PA (hoping)
May 22, 2011 : Oddesey Half Marathon, Philadelphi, PA (hoping)
June 12, 2011: Try it triathlon, Bear, DE (hoping)
September 11, 2011: Diamondman Sprint, Bear DE  (hoping)

Weight Loss

I hope to meet my weight loss goal this year and loss my last 65 lbs. Toning is very important to me as well.

Edited by tdkennerly 2011-01-04 10:00 AM
2011-01-04 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3275710

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Still Open?
raveen - 2011-01-03 11:10 PM Hello Lora!
It seemed to be my luck today that I came across the mentor forum on this site when I sat down to do some research and start planning for my first triathalon this year!
I was just wondering if the group is still open and you have room for another member?
After reading your initial post I know you indicated that you preferred to have 8-12 women as part of your group.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience. I would love to be part of this group!

Thanks so much.

Raveen Kalra

Well, that's just great! Come on board!
2011-01-04 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3275795

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
mquevedo - 2011-01-04 12:39 AM If you still have a spot open, I would love for you to mentor me. And maybe two friends if I get them to log on. Let me know!Marie

Welcome, Marie. Having friends in place already to train with is a wonderful step. If they do login, just have them let me know they're friends of yours so I can save a couple spots.
2011-01-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3276440

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
tdkennerly - 2011-01-04 10:55 AM

Name
tdkennerly / Tracie

Story

I am a 26 year old substitute teacher and MBA student. As a athlete in school I was always fit and in shape. This all changed after getting pregnant. I have been on a weightloss journey after having my last 2 kids in two years and suffering from severe depression afterwards. I have done will so far and am down 74 lbs but I want to take it to the next level. I have never done a triathlon or even a 5k but I want to complete my first one this summer. I have found a few 5 and 10ks that I would like to complete before then. I look forward to knowing all of you and am so siked to be on this journey. I have always wanted to do a triathlon and am finally ready to complete this goal. I also plan on completing this journey on youtube. I have already posted my first video of weightloss shots and want to diary my triathlon training. My username is shrinkin2atriathlon if anyone wants to watch me.

Family Status
I have a large family. I am currently engaged and we have 5 children between us. I have a 16 year old step daughter, 11  year old son, 9 year old neice that I've raised since birth, a 3 year old daughter and 1.5 year old son. The are a great bunch and are excited to cheer me on during this journey.

Current Training

I have been working out in the gym for the past year. Mainly walking on inclines on the treadmill, classes and strength training. As of today I began running intervals for 30 min. I was suprised that I could actually run. lol. I hope to begin the swim and bike soon.

This Year’s Races
Febuary 12, 2011: Cupids chase 5k in Phildelphia, PA (hoping)
April 11, 2011: 2011 Tyler Arboretum 10k, Media, PA (hoping)
May 22, 2011 : Oddesey Half Marathon, Philadelphi, PA (hoping)
June 12, 2011: Try it triathlon, Bear, DE (hoping)
September 11, 2011: Diamondman Sprint, Bear DE  (hoping)

Weight Loss

I hope to meet my weight loss goal this year and loss my last 65 lbs. Toning is very important to me as well.

Welcome aboard, Tracie! You've got a nice tentative schedule in place there for this year. Congrats on the weight loss. It sounds like you've got a wonderful family. If you can get 'em to the finish line of your first 5K and your first tri, the finish line will be even more sweet for you. I will totally check out your YT channel. Have you considered blogging? I don't write as much as I should, but it's been great to look back over my journey in words and an occasional picture. I highly recommend it.

So glad to have you along!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11