BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-02-10 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3257199

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED
I totally relate to the overzealousness....I signed up for the Long Island Marathon!! What?! I do intend to walk a lot of it; I'll do the NYC half marathon (assuming I can raise $600 more....I'm more than half way there thanks to a lot of $25 donations) in March, and the LI Marathon is in May. I did a paltry 3 or 4 miles today but it was outdoors @ 25 degrees and it felt great to toddle around as the sun was going down. Then, I did Pilates at the gym before heading home.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement while I dabble around in the pool.

I have a question or two for the ladies. First, I was wondering who amongst us was in the middle aged crowd (I don't even feel my age and I'm sure a lot of you don't either!)  and are new or relatively new to this level of exercise, or like me took like, a decade off of taking care of your body. Thoughts on that- balancing an insane worklife which sounds like a lot of us, a partner, maybe kids or trying to have kids. The past many years, circumstances took over my life -- a dying mom and then her complicated affairs; new job, then a promotion at the new job...very little time to be me with my new husband. I don't want to have triathlon training become something that takes me away from who I am but rather enhances the best parts of what I hope to be. Thoughts?

I was re-reading our old posts and I really wanted to say I'm impressed with our group. I may have been a little selfish in my posts by not acknowledging in writing how amazing all of you are.

Tracy-- I used to smoke like a chimney! It's amazing I finally quit at all, it took so long to finally stick to that plan. It's been almost 15 years now so- you can do it!!

And there;s everyone else that's plowing through what you have going on....you're all brave and inspiring and thank you for posting and being here. I hope to have the courage to go through with a sprint tri this year. At this point, the idea of swimming in the open water and bodies crashing over me seems to scary. but...i'll still practice my swimming!!

Oh, one last question. I'm swimming about 3 days a week now. I'm getting some rashes and breakouts in my chest and neck. Is this from chlorine? Does anyone have experience or advice in this?

Oh, one really last thing, for a chuckle ... I discovered I truly am allergic to exericse! So I was allergic to everything growing up and that's for another post.... now I've got most of my allergies at bay but i was a disaster and originally discovered running to try and get over asthma. Anyway, when I work out these days I get hives (this has been the past few years) and it's embarrassing to say the least. I finally looked this up and discovered it's a real condition. Regardless, I'm not going to pay it too much mind, maybe build my base up a little more so I'm not over exerting myself. ha ha, only me....allergic to working out and planning a triathlon...

2011-02-10 9:32 PM

User image

Denver
I'm backtracking a few days here, but I wanted to comment on Lora's list.  Sometimes I feel like such an idiot -- I was telling my husband about the yellow socks brigade and he started laughing immediately -- I had had to look it up.  That is a whole biological aspect I hadn't even considered - so Lora, thank you for that heads' up!  Looking forward to more of those items becoming personal.

I'm so proud of all the swimmers - excellent week everyone.  Great progress in the pool, it's so great to hear about your successes!  Sarah, I used to swim a ton but I'm no doctor and I'm not sure about the rash; may be worth checking out just to know.  My skin is always dry no matter what after a pool swim and chlorine levels can vary a lot with pool activity.  Here is one stupid little tip apropos to nothing - if you wet your hair and even put on conditioner before donning your cap and jumpin in it keeps the chlorine from doing too much damage, well, if you care about that (and I'm trying to blend in the grays these days, so I care a little).  You're killing me with the allergy and planning the tri, by the way.  Awesome spirit.

Balance.  Does anyone ever really achieve balance or is it just something we strive for as the pendulum swings back and forth around it?  Although it's cliche, I really believe it's about the journey and not the destination - not just figuring out the scheduling but asking for help (which is something I hate to do) and seeing how much I can accomplish when I want to.  The race is going to be a challenge but I'm loving figuring out this part, too, right now.  Hurty knee and all. 

Well, besides, baseball season is still about 7 weeks away, I have to do somethingWink
2011-02-11 4:10 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hey Rachel, i'm off to the pool now- I do slather my hair in conditioner, ironically my hair is so short and boring it wouldn't even matter but I am trying to grow it and take care of it. I wonder if I can rub a body oil over my skin or if that is illegal in the pool etiquiette. i do notice it's always worse on a pool day and usually goes away the next day so it is some kind of pool reaction. maybe I need to wash off more and really lotion up. I'll try today. Have a great friday all! IT's payday for me, so thank goodness!!
2011-02-11 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3346800

User image

tlynn721 - 2011-02-09 11:12 AM Lora,

Any chance you could address the best type of diet for this type of training?

Tracy

Tracy (& Lora)

I hope you don’t mind my putting in my 2cents here. While I am no longer an active nutritionist/dietician, it is an area of interest for me. Tracy, the problem with providing an answer to your question is that the answer will differ from person to person because the best answer is based on so many factors. Some are: age, sex, medical history, training (that is amount, intensity and duration), eating habits, access to foods, weather during events – and that’s just a few things off the top of my head.

Let’s just take the training aspect into consideration. As your training time and length of event increase so does your need for fuel and hydration. The type of event may influence the kind of fuel you can comfortably consume. For instance, a cyclist riding a century may be able to consume some solid foods while riding whereas a marathon runner, due to the jostling of the digestive system, may not be able to tolerate any solid foods during their run. If it’s 100 degs and 90% humidity, your hydration and electrolyte needs will be different then if it is 60 degs and 10% humidity (again- also depending on length of time.)

There are general rules of thumb that you should familiarize yourself with. They will help you figure out what kinds of food and how much you need to consume. I strongly urge anyone in this group who is considering distance events to do the same.  You can find these general rules by searching around this site as well as many other reputable endurance sports related websites. You can also pick up a book on sports nutrition at a library or book store. How do you choose? You look at who is writing the book (or article) and their credentials –are they qualified to write on the subject. How much have they published? How long have they been in the field? When they mention studies, do they site the reference? Do they try and sell you a specific diet plan or product? (If yes, buyer beware.) I try to research a book before I buy. I want to read some of it to see if I can follow or if it is filled with too much science that I don’t need (unless I want to look at the references). It has to make sense to you and be easy to understand.  Enough on that.

I did a quick search online and came up with some articles. They each address some of the more common questions among amateur athletes. They are simply examples of what is out there for you. The best way to affect and change your diet, and most people don’t like this part, is to educate yourself and then keep a diary/log to see what you are eating, when you are eating and how it affects you and your training.  

Ok, I’ve gone on enough and probably have not brought you any closer to an answer. I’ll get off my soap box and use it for exercise instead of a long-winded spiel.

-I hope I'm linking these article properly-

Fueling for Training: What to eat before, during and after you exercise
6 Strategies to Eat Better
(Me, I’m more of a grazer and I’m up early. I prefer a mid-morning/pre-work out snack instead of a 2nd lunch)
What to Eat Before a Running Workout

2011-02-11 1:14 PM

User image

Long Beach, NY
Thanks so much for the advice.  I grew up on junk, fast and fried food mostly and don't really know how to eat healthily.  I've learned over time and can't tolerate fast food anymore but fried food is a weakness.  My friends tell me, oh, low fat, low cal, etc but common sense tells me that I'm burning a lot of calories by doing this and so it's not a weight loss diet that I need.  I'll ask my swim coach as well.  He's done 5 Ironman tris!

Anyone have advice on my shoe issue?
2011-02-11 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3350794

User image

Long Beach, NY
njsole - 2011-02-11 2:09 PM

Fueling for Training: What to eat before, during and after you exercise
6 Strategies to Eat Better
(Me, I’m more of a grazer and I’m up early. I prefer a mid-morning/pre-work out snack instead of a 2nd lunch)
What to Eat Before a Running Workout

I read the article and the whole mathematical equation as to what to eat when is meaningless in my head.  It seems lately there is so much conflicting information about nutrition and diet that I feel like I should just keep doing what I've been doing (cutting out junk and trying not to eat too much fried food).

2011-02-11 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3350998

User image

San Francisco
@tlynn- that is probably the best bet and it is working for you, then stick with it. One baby step at a time. Just  be sure to get in a good amount of fruits and veggie, plus some good proteins. Good luck!

2011-02-11 5:42 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine
Wow!  Lots of great posts!  Everyone is giving great information and inspiration, love it!  When I run the 1/2 marathon I was able to get by on drinking Gatorade and a package of gummy bears.  Some friends of mine used the goo.  I would definitely try whatever you are going to eat before a race, a friend of mine got some electrolyte gummies and it gave her the trots a short time after she ate one.

So far I'm signed up for 2 Tri's.. One will be a relay and I think I'll be doing the bike. 

First tri is the Pirate Tri in Sebago Maine (June 12th)  the second is the relay and it is the Tri for a Cure(July 31).  For the second on I need to raise 350 dollars, its for breast cancer research and treatment in Maine.  Its a woman's only tri.  I went to watch it last year and it was what made me decide to do one this year.  There are women of all shapes of sizes that do this tri... its wonderful!  I thought I would post a link to my page for the Tri for a cure in case anyone wanted to donate.  Any amount is greatly appreciated, and for a good cause!

Your Personal Page link:
http://tfac2011.kintera.org/djewell

As for my running, after PT yesterday he said I could walk on a treadmill and then try running for a minute.  I was only able to run for 10 seconds... still way to painful and tonight I can't do some of my exercises due to knee pain.  I'm still hopeful I'll be better soon!  Hopefully I can run 3 miles by June!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and keep up the good work!

2011-02-12 4:18 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Shoot, I wrote a long post and then went to spell check it and my browser refreshed and erased it... sigh.

I love seeing what everyone is up to. 

I "toddled" my first 5K today, and the best feeling was just doing as well as I could and not beating myself up at all.  45 mins to finish, so thats a start ;-)

The neurologist says its likely scar tissue at the base of my neck causing problems, and I can continue to work out. Yippie. I have an MRI this week to see whats up. 

I also remembered, as I drifted off to sleep last night, that I was on a synchronized swim team for 3 summers as a kid.  Weird, I had totally forgotten about that.  I think the biking and swimming is getting me in touch with my inner kid.  Cute!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
Jina
2011-02-13 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3350998

User image

I read the article and the whole mathematical equation as to what to eat when is meaningless in my head.  It seems lately there is so much conflicting information about nutrition and diet that I feel like I should just keep doing what I've been doing (cutting out junk and trying not to eat too much fried food).

You are doing the right thing cutting the junk out and eating less fried food. I have a hard time saying no to fries myself. Smile  I included that article because it talked about eating before exercise/events, which is important. You don't want to run out of energy mid training run or event. You will have to experiment with how much you need to eat and what will give you the energy you need to carry you through as you train more. Mindylea is absolutely right, you cannot go wrong with fruits and veggies and healthy protein sources. I'll add that some good whole grains are also a good idea. 

One thing I've noticed with triathletes is that some are super focused on the whole carb/protein mix thing. I did not know where you were coming from. I'm with you. I don't want to whip out a calculator every time I want to eat or exercise. I'm also not doing long distance events right now, so it's not so important to me.  

How are your trade in shoes working out for you?

2011-02-13 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3352990

User image

Long Beach, NY
njsole - 2011-02-13 4:58 PM
tlynn721 - 2011-02-09 11:12 AM

It looks like my right foot is smaller than my left foot but they fit to the bigger foot.  The new shoes are great but it's really giving me a hard time that the right shoe isn't a good fit.  I'm hoping for suggestions as to how to fix this problem.

2011-02-14 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3352998

User image

Queens/Nassau County
tlynn721 - 2011-02-13 4:05 PM
njsole - 2011-02-13 4:58 PM

It looks like my right foot is smaller than my left foot but they fit to the bigger foot.  The new shoes are great but it's really giving me a hard time that the right shoe isn't a good fit.  I'm hoping for suggestions as to how to fix this problem.

I'm just guessing here, but maybe wear two socks on the smaller foot? Otherwise I'd ask the salesperson.
2011-02-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3352095

User image

jpenn815 - 2011-02-12 5:18 PM I "toddled" my first 5K today, and the best feeling was just doing as well as I could and not beating myself up at all.  45 mins to finish, so thats a start ;-)
Jina

That's great! Congrats. Did you have fun? You will only improve from here if you keep at it. I hope you are able to sort out your medical issues and get some relief soon.

When's your next 5k?
2011-02-15 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3352998

User image

How about using the thin foam insoles you get at a drug store? They do not change the foot bed, only cusion it a little. I use them to fill up space in my shoes. It will feel different at first, I imagine, but I bet you would get used to it. They cost a few $ and you cut them to size.

Have you looked at other forums? Try some run specific forums and look up the shoe issue or post and see what you get. Good luck.
2011-02-16 5:49 PM

User image

New user
Texas
Hey!  How is everyone doing this week?  Major nice weather here in Texas.  It's been fun to get out and play.  I have a date with the pool in the morning.

Hope everyone has a good one!
2011-02-17 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3358889

User image

No gloves needed today and we are getting into the 60's tomorrow!!! Smile (one day only, but welcome)
I'm going to get out early tomorrow so I can go for a run outside -yeah!
Had a good swim yesterday and I'm hoping to go to spin tonight. 
---
Strange, the left align is not working for me when I post. Anyone have any ideas why? I tried throwing in the

html code but it did not work.

2011-02-18 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3356269

User image

Long Beach, NY
njsole - 2011-02-15 1:14 PM

How about using the thin foam insoles you get at a drug store? They do not change the foot bed, only cusion it a little. I use them to fill up space in my shoes. It will feel different at first, I imagine, but I bet you would get used to it. They cost a few $ and you cut them to size.

Have you looked at other forums? Try some run specific forums and look up the shoe issue or post and see what you get. Good luck.

I tie my right shoe slightly different than my left and it helps.  I actually ran almost a full half mile without stopping so there's a definite improvement!

I'm not training today at all.  Not making excuses.  I'm just tired and need some time to relax.
2011-02-19 11:58 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hi Gals,
Well, here is a classic example of my life and something I need to figure out if I'm gonna be any kind of triathlete.

I let the whole week get away from me without a lick of exercise or even eating right. Why?
12-16 hour workdays
Depression (me & hubby had big fight, all is OK now)
probably something else which I don't know what it is because it happens a LOT.

On the plus side, I have fundraised enough to run in the NYC Half Marathon March 20!!! However, I'm not sure how I'll do running 13 miles!

Today, I'm going to get all my races paid for and organized- then hang out with my two best girlfriends, then I have next week off and plan to PUSH workingout really hard to make up for last week. Ideas? Suggestions? I am still a 105pound weakling....

2011-02-19 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3363088

A year ago I was 30 pounds heavier and totally out of shape. Decided enough excuses. Paid entry fee for sprint Tri. Followed training plan for Olympic Tri that I found on this website. At first, I could barely run one half mile, swim 50 meters, or bike for 30 mins on flats. 4 months later, I has dropped the weight and in better shape than I had been in years (and prior to birth of 2 kids). Best part is I didn't change my eating or drinking habits that much. I had a horrible swim on the sprint Tri last fall, but exceeded my overall finish goal by 15 minutes (which included a rest room break during the run!). I hate to run. Not fond of swimming. Found I really love to bike. Tri training provides with the ability to get on shape with less wear and tear on my aging body. I work full time, travel quite a bit, and have a husband, 2 teenagers and a dog. All of whom have now accepted that exercise is part of my life. If 9 can so it, any one else can. Hang in there! Take it one workout, one day, or one pound at a time!
2011-02-20 11:41 AM

User image

New user

Hi Ladies,
I so love hearing what all of you are doing.  I have been working out twice a week with a personal training and then trying to get 2-3 elliptial sessions in as well.  I've been trying to focus on eating well, cardio and losing weight before the real training plan begins.  My trainer swears that his 5k training plan will have me running a 10 min mile....I'm skeptical but hopeful as he says it's never not worked.  I would hate to be his first failure. haha  He sure put me through my paces this last Wednesday.  I was REALLY sore for the first time in a long time.  Previously I've had a little bit of soreness but nothing like this week.  Crazy but it felt really great!!!

I've decided that I'm going to cancel my YMCA membership because there is a community pool within a mile of my house that has triathlon specific swim workouts run by a local high school swim coach on Mon and Wed evenings.  With the money I save I can more than pay for the nominal fee charged to participate and I've found that I perform much better when I workout with others.  Does anyone else find that they struggle to get motivated to workout by yourself?  I know I need to be able to push myself but I really struggle with that....thus the need for a personal trainer even though it's a huge challenge to make the cost work with my finances.

It's been really nice because I also have one co-worker who is a pretty accomplished marathon runner who has been super encouraging as well.

I guess that's all for now but thanks again for all your posts.  I am inspired every time I read them.

Candi

Edited by rima12 2011-02-20 11:45 AM
2011-02-21 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3363954

User image

Denver

rima12 - 2011-02-20 10:41 AM Hi Ladies,
Does anyone else find that they struggle to get motivated to workout by yourself?  I know I need to be able to push myself but I really struggle with that....thus the need for a personal trainer even though it's a huge challenge to make the cost work with my finances.

Having a workout buddy is a huge motivator for me.  My husband and I go to a trainer once a week as well.  It's a luxury for us, too, but I try to look at it in the same way I would any other health expense - this one just happens to be preventative rather than curative.  I hope it saves us in the long run -- it's definitely helped relieve some chronic problems already.  

Otherwise it’s all self-motivated.  My workout bud moved to HI about 8 months ago and it was a real struggle to keep up with my other workouts after she moved.  I lapsed for a while before I found a goal I wanted to work toward that motivated me to get out on my own.

One thing I've tried to do since she moved, since I’ve added a spinning class and swimming to my routine, is to make a point of being a little more outgoing than I normally am.  For example, I try to talk it up a little more with an instructor or someone in a class or even the lifeguard so that I have some little extra connection - oh, I'm going to see so-and-so today.  It's not the same but it kind of works.

I also found a local tri-training group that I am planning to join in another few weeks.  I wanted to feel like I was a little more up-to-speed before diving right in on that front but am looking forward to that next step.

Edited by rachlong 2011-02-21 11:26 AM

2011-02-21 12:11 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hi girls, I'm just back from the gym and back to running. I have exactly one month to go till the NYC Half marathon and I'm a little uneasy that I haven't trained properly. I don't run more than 4 miles yet at a time and my pace is very slow. I do have a lot of races lined up now, and I committed to a triathlon on Long Island! yikes....I have this week off so I feel like I can really put in some longer time workout out. Any thoughts?

Basically I know there are supposed to be different speeds for different length races but I'm not there yet. I run 5K in 37 minutes. Lora, do you have any suggestions on where to go from here, a month away from a half marathon and I have the LI marathon coming up in May?

I should say that while I feel the run later or the next day, I'm not too sore.

OK, more to do today!
2011-02-21 3:24 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Hi All-
Monday and 17" of snow on the ground... yeesh!!  The hubby and I are planning our escape to the gym this evening, wish us luck! 

Got in the pool finally and was pleasantly surprised.  I could go 3 entire laps without stopping and am almost as fast as my husband already (he is lean and much more the distance runner) so that made me happy.  It is going to be interesting to get my neck and shoulders up to the task of swimming, but I not afraid of just rolling over on my back and kicking my way through if I have too (have I mentioned I am getting OVER my perfectionism, LOL). 

I am committing to getting back on this site and logging my workouts and eating, it really helps to keep me motivated.  It takes some extra time before bed, but it keeps me more honest about my eating, and drinking, during the day.

Wishing everyone a great week,
2011-02-21 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3365288

User image

Denver
Sarah -

Congrats on the fundraising for the half marathon, that's awesome that you made it over the threshold on that! 

I have heard some things about the ten percent rule for building up the mileage without getting into overuse injuries, I think someone brought that up on thise forum before, too.  Here are a couple of articles to start with and I'm sure this website has others (I just couldn't find anything quickly):
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/10percent.htm
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1051-0,00.html

I'm sending this in hindsight - I've been thinking about my own knee issues a lot the last few weeks and I definitely broke this rule when I started adding time/mileage (and the ChiRunning I've been reading is really pounding home the idea of gradual progress).  I don't mean to imply that my anecdotal experience means anything, I just wanted to point out that there seems to be a rule of thumb you might want to consider.
2011-02-21 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3365687

This website has great free training programs, that advocate the 10% rule (first 3 weeks of the month add 10% each week, followed by a much lighter week 4. Look for Beginner Sprint Tri or Beginner Olympic Tri. I followed one of these pretty closely last year and it worked well; no injuries despite my not having exercised regularly for years. Key for me was to be flexible, fit in what I could, and not stress if life or work got in the way periodically.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11