BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-02-02 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3257199

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Subject: RE: Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED
Hi ladies, so I did not make my morning swim because of the icy roads this morningYell I will go tomorrow as a makeup day. I did however run a 5k on the treadmill in 32 mins which is a record for me, so my time is finally going down or my legs are getting stronger etc.. I also went to a sporting goods store explaining my swim goggles give me black eyes and amazingly, there was ONE pair of aquasphere, ladies....so I bought them and can't wait to try! 

I'm starting to have nerves about the open water swim again....or deep water in general. that may be in part because all of my training is in a four foot deep pool and I'm getting a false sense of security. I also don't know how to tread water yet. But I'm signing up for the lecture at Eisenhower park and hopefully that will put me at ease!

OK off to help the hubby with dinner - have a great night all! 

2011-02-02 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3336265

User image

Long Beach, NY
shaptavajra - 2011-02-02 8:00 PM Hi ladies, so I did not make my morning swim because of the icy roads this morningYell I will go tomorrow as a makeup day. I did however run a 5k on the treadmill in 32 mins which is a record for me, so my time is finally going down or my legs are getting stronger etc.. I also went to a sporting goods store explaining my swim goggles give me black eyes and amazingly, there was ONE pair of aquasphere, ladies....so I bought them and can't wait to try! 

I'm starting to have nerves about the open water swim again....or deep water in general. that may be in part because all of my training is in a four foot deep pool and I'm getting a false sense of security. I also don't know how to tread water yet. But I'm signing up for the lecture at Eisenhower park and hopefully that will put me at ease!

OK off to help the hubby with dinner - have a great night all! 

What lecture?  I swim there!  We should meet up one night.  I bought goggles the other day and hate them but the woman said just bring them back and I can try another pair.
2011-02-02 8:15 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Here is the direct link to the clinic - http://s286898528.e-shop.info/shop/category_8/Clinics.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26
Yes let's meet up if you can! I am running a race in prospect park in the morning, then zipping out to westbury!

I have less than $800 to raise now for Team For Kids....hoping I can do it! Now I have to learn to run 13 miles too! 
2011-02-02 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
So cool some of you have done ChiRunning workshops. I'm completely envious. OK, right now our leader in the challenge is Rachel. Be sure to post your times here as I'll be announcing the winner soon.

Hope the weather isn't treating any of you too terribly bad. It's hitting us but the worst is just missing us.
2011-02-03 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
I found these on an old blog post of mine. It's a list I compiled from different sources, primarily here on BT. Sometimes, you just need a big laugh at yourself. Enjoy!

When you are vacationing 89 miles away at the beach, you leave five hours ahead of your wife and children on your bike and meet them there.
  1. When you're on a long run and have to use the bathroom, you run into the woods and another runner is doing the same thing - and it doesn't bother either of you.

2. You forget that talking about daily LSD [Long Slow Distance] and speed weirds some people out.

3. When asked how old you are, your answer is 30-34.

4. You wave at other cyclists, because all triathletes are friendly and, if they are not, they are probably purist cyclists trying to get into triathlons and they do not yet know that triathletes are friendly.

5. You have absolutely NO idea what to do with yourself on your off day. You mowed the lawn, cleaned the house, washed the car, and there are STILL 4 hours of daylight left! Aarrgghh!

6. Your children are more likely to recognize you if you put on your bicycle helmet.

7. You know where the good fishing is in the lake because of how the water tastes.

8. You think an Ironman is easier then a marathon because you don't have to start by running fast.

9. You feel like you took the day off because all you did was swim 3000 yards.

10. Nobody believes you when you say, "Never again".

11. You take part in the corporate challenge to improve your base speed.

12. Your spouse is looking forward to the day when you will slow down and just run marathons.

13. You know what bricks are.

14. You are actually interested in the mile by mile recap of the fairly innocuous question, "So, how was your race?”

15. You have paused in front of the mirror in your wetsuit and thought, “Hey, I look like a superhero."

16. You have the belief that as long as your marriage is intact, you can afford yet a little more training.

17. Your co-workers rarely see your hair down. It takes too much time to blow-dry after a 5:30 am swim and twisting wet hair into a bun takes 15 seconds.

18. Your bicycle has a name, sleeps INSIDE the house, and is worth more - emotionally and monetarily - than your car.
  19. Shoveling snow is a part of your cross-training schedule.

20. You make your 5 year old sit in a jogging stroller and go for a run because the baby doesn't weigh enough.

21. You ride your bike more than you drive your car.

22. You can run a 1-mile faster than your teenage kids - who are in track and cross country.

23. You tuck your wife in, wait for her to fall asleep and then go workout.

24. You know from experience how many minutes you can swim in 45 F or lower water before your core body temperature drops dangerously low, and then time your transition into dry clothes to avoid hypothermia...in an outhouse.

25. You have done an OWS while it was snowing.

26. When you ask your dog if he wants to go for a run, he scampers and hides under the chair shaking.

27. Your spouse doesn't blink when you say, "I should be back from my run in three hours."

28. Your co-workers no longer think it's weird when you eat your "second lunch" at 3:00.

29. An easy swim is any distance less than 1500 yards.

30. You've run a marathon, but never just by itself.

31. You plan your vacations around your training for your A, B or C race.

32. You know the difference between an A, B or C race.

33. When traveling, you select your hotel based on the exercise room.

34. You consider work regeneration time between training sessions.

35. When people praise you for being able to run 3 miles, you feel insulted.

36. Your kids grab water bottles and energy bars when you suggest a family stroll.

37. You think there are only two seasons during the year: racing and off.

38. You need a picture for a job application and you only have race pictures.

39. You know what the Yellow Socks Brigade is...and you belong.
2011-02-03 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3336419

User image

Long Beach, NY
shaptavajra - 2011-02-02 9:15 PM Here is the direct link to the clinic - http://s286898528.e-shop.info/shop/category_8/Clinics.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26
Yes let's meet up if you can! I am running a race in prospect park in the morning, then zipping out to westbury!

That clinic is a bit much on the wallet right now!  I can get 4 swim clinic sessions for about the same price and feel that I could benefit from that more.  I'll probably be at the aquatic center on Monday again depending on the schedule.  I way prefer mornings because it's less crowded but we'll see.  Let me know when you'll be there.

2011-02-04 8:29 PM

User image

New user

Great workout today!  Also, a friend at work and I have decided that as soon as we thaw out up here in the frozen tundra we will start a running group after work.  I'm pretty excited about it because she is a real runner... a marathon runner and well....... I'M NOT A RUNNER!!!  But now I'm kind of excited.   Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!  Cool
2011-02-04 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3340057

User image

Long Beach, NY
I spent way more than I wanted on a pair of running shoes and they're awful!  I have to bring them back to the store.  After 15 minutes of running the right shoe came lose and I felt a blister forming on my heel.  My $30 Adidas are way better.  I hope they don't give me a hard time returning them.  I didn't wear them outside (I only wore them for my 15 minute run at the gym) so that should help.  I even went to a runner's specialty store to get them.

I'm glad I tried them out inside first!
2011-02-05 1:54 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Hi All-
Even though I woke up whining about nerve pain in my fingers, my husband encouraged me to just come to the club and do what I can, and I DID AN HOUR AND HALF of a two hour spin class.  I kept streching the shoulder and arm with the nerve pain and it got better, not worse.  I stopped when my knees started complaining, since I haven't done that much in about a year.
So proud!  Its good to have someone to gently kick you in the butt at 5:30 am ;-P
Jina

Also, I have been grumpy and didn't make the neurologist appt this week, but I will do it on Monday.  Also, I reset my training schedule to work better with training with the hubby... I am more motivated with him then on my own.

2011-02-06 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Candi, a running group is a fantastic idea!

Tracy, sorry to hear about your shoes. Ugh, that sucks. Hopefully, they'll let you return them. Given how new they are, they should!

Jina, two hours of spin classes is nothing to sneeze at! Great work. Hope they get that nerve pain figured out for you.
2011-02-07 7:41 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Hi girls, I've been quiet because I've been in a little bit of a funk....I got a speeding ticket (the first in my life) trying to get to the pool before work. 4 points on my license and I JUST TOOK a defensive driving class to lower my insurance. THere was no one else on the road except people flying past me, but I'm the one that got pulled over. I know this is trivial, but it put me in a real depressed state because I have been in a financial hole for so long, in spite of a good paying job, thanks to poor decisions when i was in college (mortgaged away my life with student loans, no one to advise me about the consequences and and an aggressive Financial Aid"counselor" who pressured me to sign on the dotted line).  I don't want to bore you all with this stuff, but it does get to me that I'm 40 years old and no house or kids and really, no way to afford either one of them. Anyway, I stuck to my workouts regardless, even though i'm really down in the dumps and normally I'd just stay in bed when i feel like this. I even went and signed up for the LONG ISLAND MARATHON, May 1st. Am I crazy??? Probably. I will most likely be walking a lot of it; I don't run that fast or far yet and honestly I'm stunned at how long it takes to build up strength and speed when you're not in your teens any more!

Well, I should focus on being at work now but I wanted to wish everyone a happy Monday and happy week ahead! It looks like the sun will be out a little more!Cool

2011-02-07 5:11 PM

User image

New user
Texas
Hey everyone. Ive been m.i.a. for About a week. This crazy weather made it easy to binge and be lazy inside. My daughter is finally back to school and we still have some more nasty weather projected for this week. Ive been trying to keep up with spin and running but the swimming has not happened. I could have gone today but i can not get out of this lethargy. Hope you all have a great week.
2011-02-08 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3343848

User image

Marie,

I think everyone is feeling the weather blues. (Except for a few of us who have not been hit by the storms.) I decided to introduce my little one to baking on the most recent snow day, and that was on top of the awesome cookies that were already made the day before. I totally relate to the binge and chill thing. I gained about 2lbs despite all the shoveling Cry.

It's time to re-evaluate and reignite the desire. For me, as I have said before, I try for baby steps even if my schedule has a long session planned. Any time is better then no time and it's more for your mental well being than physical. I'm going to sign up for another event in the hopes that it will kick me into gear. Since it has been 5-6 wks since I started my "training" I'm also going to take a look at my plan and see what needs tweaking. This helps me get my head back into the game. If all that fails and there is some extra $ around, then it's time to set up a goal with a gear/goodie reward at the end. Me, I'm thinking about a wetsuit so I'm going to have to swim a little more to earn it and maybe loose 1-2 lbs.

Most importantly though, don't beat yourself up for missing some training. It happens. Just get back into it but go easy for a few days.

Hang in there everyone. Only a few more weeks and we will be singing in the spring air as we move outside. I am so looking forward to a ride outside.  I think I'll be screaming my head off when it happens! Smile

2011-02-09 6:33 AM
in reply to: #3344399

User image

2011-02-09 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3346402

User image

Queens/Nassau County
njsole - 2011-02-09 6:33 AM It's stories like this one that get me stoked.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/resources/multisport-zone/my-story/older-faster-smarter

THIS WAS AN AWESOME STORY and thank you for posting it. I overslept through my AM swim today and need these kinds of things to keep me motivated. Between hitting 40, not being as strong or fast as I once was, and trying to get pregnant for the past 2 years I've gotten a little too down on "the best years must be behind me". If I did the math correctly, this inspiring woman didn't even start Triathlons till she was late forties or maybe 50. And now look at her!

Thanks again for posting.
2011-02-09 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3344399

User image

Denver
Xandra - Thanks for the perspective.  It's comforting to know several of us are going through this right now.  I almost got the madeleine pans out this weekend, myself.  The cold and the binging, oh my.  It all started with a chocolate macaroon last week.  The night before last was a "well-rounded" dinner of cashews and a cannolli left over from Superbowl Sunday.

I have been resolute to eat healthier food and watch my portion sizes recently, well until the wheels fell off on Sunday.  I like to think the universe provides, though.  On Monday, I heard a radio interview with author Gary Taubes and it just so happens he's going to be at the bookstore a few blocks away tonight.  I am looking forward to checking out his new book and what he's got to talk about.  In the past I have been downright resistant to what he's pitching about carbs.  However, the data and history he discussed were interesting plus the interviewer is a local guy who does not usually suffer hype.  If I become convinced this carb idea is an experiment worth a try at least that macaroon was absolutely delightful and memorable.

Stay warm everybody and have a happy hump day!

2011-02-09 10:12 AM

User image

Long Beach, NY
Lora,

Any chance you could address the best type of diet for this type of training?

Tracy
2011-02-09 12:35 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Hi All-
Ok, I made the frinking neurologist appt. It is tomorrow at noon, they had a cancellation.  I am such a boy when it comes to my body, I just want it to do what it should and shut up!  Ugh!  I am being massively challenged on that front with all of the need for "self-care".  I went to another SPIN class last night and that was great!  I didn't get my run in on Tuesday because I forgot to bring my clothes back to the club when I went back on Tuesday, and got so frustrated with myself I came home and made dinner and opened a bottle of wine... my downfall.  LOL

I am glad to hear I am not the only one frustrated with herself right now.  I am supposed to swim today and it is SOOOO cold, I can't imagine getting in the pool.  BUT, I am going to!  At the very least, I am going to get into my suit and get into the pool... just to prove to myself that I CAN.

Here is a link to the Body for Life eating plan.  It is really easy and, I think, pretty great for this type of training.  Not that I have been following it very well lately.  But it is all about getting a balance of protein and carbs and eating frequently.

http://bodyforlife.com/library/articles/nutrition#pg-1

SPRING will be here before we know it!

Edited by jpenn815 2011-02-09 12:35 PM
2011-02-09 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3346759

User image

Sarah,
It’s nice to know the best is yet to come, provided we are willing to go for it. This woman is my new inspiration. I may just print out the article and post it up in my cubicle at work.

Rachel,
Madeleine pans? Really? Can I come over? Love madeleines. Wait, no I have to be good. I’ve heard the name Gary Taubes, but I’m not really familiar with his writings. (Did a quick wiki on him.) Diet, nutrition, eating – what a mess. I began my adult working life as a dietician. I left the field for several reasons, one being that it is so personal and so loaded and so tough to work with people. To be a good dietician, you have to be a good psychologist as well. Seriously, it’s tied to our mood, our culture, our health, enjoyment, and sooooo much more.

I could go on and on and this could branch out in many directions. The simple truth is that if calories in is greater then calories out, you will gain wght. If calories used exceeds those consumed, you will loose wght. The arguments about refined carbs and sugars are interesting ones. We have seen an explosion of obesity in this country (and others) recently. It makes sense to look at what we are eating as well as what other factors may be influencing our weight. I’m very interested in how high fructose corn syrup, and corn in general, has totally messed with us in this country. It’s in everything. If you really want to mess with your head about what you should or shouldn’t eat, read The Omnivore's Dilemma. It has less to do with weight or nutrition issues and more to do with how screwed up our food chain is.

One reason I like BT is that Nancy Clark is a contributing author on sports nutrition. I have always liked her (going on 20 years). She’s down to earth about what’s really needed for performance for most of us weekend athletes; and that is a well rounded diet with plenty of fruits, veggies and legumes, moderate animal protein (if you partake) and adequate H2O. Most of us do not perform at the level that requires super scrutiny of our diets. (But again, we are each different with different needs and philosophies and well, budgets.)

2011-02-09 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3347310

User image

Denver
Oh, Xandra - I could join you in that conversation on the politics of food and it sounds like we could go on and on agreeing on many points.  One of the reasons I was curious about Taubes talk is that Pollan has endorsed the new book.  Our experiment joining a CSA last year was very interesting and we'll do it again this year, too.  It is a challenge never knowing what to believe when it comes to what big agribusiness has done to our food chain, the effects of their marketing and lobbying efforts over the last century -- and don't even get me started on seed stock.

Yeah, Lora, if you can chime in on nutrition, I'd love to hear your take, too - though that may be a really loaded topic!

Jina - yeah for you on making that appointment.  I tend to shy away from them myself, seriously, home remedies can't work on everything?  It is such a drag - garlic would be the end-all cure-all in my book (or chocolate, hmmm, dilemma).  Speaking of drag - hope the pool time was great today!
2011-02-09 7:18 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
I just wanted to share a small victory so I don't get known as the complainer!! So, I overslept this morning (one of my scheduled swim mornings) because I wanted more than 5 hours sleep. Anyway, I got through work, and forced myself to go to the pool before home...just to see if it wasn't too crowded. It wasn't bad, at 4:30, and I swam for a full hour (never happened before) and I did a damn fine workout if I do say so, a bunch of laps with fins for my legwork, then with paddles for my stroke form, then a good 20-30 minutes without any assistance whatsoever. And although I had to stop to rest at each lap, between 10 seconds and one minute, I kept at it and I swam COMFORTABLY for that long on my own. I actually felt the power and momentum of myself going through the water, for the first time, ever. Prior to today, when I was trying to swim I literally felt like I was working as hard as I could but staying totally stationery or moving at a snail pace.

My pace is still very slow for a triathlon, and I'm still swimming in a 4 foot pool resting ever 23 yards but...it's a really good start.

So, hope you all are having a great day too.

2011-02-09 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3347907

User image

Long Beach, NY
I started my swim clinic tonight and there was immediate improvement!  The coach of the clinic is great and I signed on for 4 lessons total.  Between that, kickboxing and general training I feel like i could do an Ironman by the end of the year!  Okay, maybe not....but my confidence level is definitely growing.  My breathing problems came from a fairly common source...going too fast too early.  I have to pace myself better.  The swim coach told me stop focusing on getting to the wall and focus on my body position and technique.  Great advice.
2011-02-10 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3347907

User image

Sarah - Nice job on the swim. I too have to rest between laps. I can swim a long time if I take it easy and do drills but when I try to swim more then one lap at a time w/out rest, I tire and my form breaks down. It does feel good when you move through the water rather then fight through it.  Don't worry too much about pace just yet. It will come and you'll be surprised what adrenaline and swimming in a swarm of people will do for your pace when you actually do your tri.

And, there's no shame in side stroking your first event. I'd practice that stroke as well. I did more then half of my swim portion of my race on my side, seriously. I didn't care. I wanted to make it to the end without expending too much energy or having to pull my cap off to be rescued. I went into the race having swum the full distance only once or twice. I lost my breath at one point and had to roll on my back for a bit. With that, my time was way better then I thought it would be. 

Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming!

2011-02-10 10:52 AM

User image

New user
Texas
Tracy- I had to chuckle out loud at your "ready for an ironman by the end of the year" statement.  I am so guilty of becoming over zealous after a breakthrough.  I run a 5k race and all of sudden its, "I can run a marathon" .  But earlier this week I went to spin class and I was dying and I thought to myself, "how could I ever finish an ironman if I can't make it through spin class".  It works both ways for me. An ironman is on my bucket list but I have to find that training plan that just gets you to completing it within the time allotted.  I know I will be last or the bottom of my age group.  I just want to finish.... Maybe next year

2011-02-10 7:48 PM

User image

Long Beach, NY
I did mostly upper body tonight but when I hit the treadmill I managed to run almost a full 4 minutes without getting winded!  It took me 35 minutes to go 2.03 miles and I'm sure after a few weeks it'll be WAY better!  I run at 4.3 on the treadmill with a 1.5 incline and walk a lot with the same incline or higher at 3.7 mph.

That being said, I did trade in my shoes without a problem (Runner's Edge rocks) but it seems my right foot is ever so slightly smaller than my left foot causing it to be uncomfortable when I run.  Is there something I can do to fit the shoe better?  I really felt it holding me back.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Girls Group of Beginners - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11