General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain/tightness in front of leg (not shin splints) Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-22 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: Pain/tightness in front of leg (not shin splints) Help!
About 2 months ago I had a bad wreck that put e out of commission for about 4-6 weeks.  Got back to training about 3 weeks ago.  Week 1 was good.  Week 2 starting having issues.  Week 3 and I'm majorly frustrated.

I'm having 3 issues and I'm sure they are related.  Just not sure where to start.

1.  Tightness/pain in front of my leg.  Towards the ankle coming up a little into the shin.  It's NOT shin splints.  I've had those years ago and this is different.  The best way to describe it is a dull aching tightness.
2.  Foot going numb after 2-3 miles.  Same shoes from before the wreck that did not have any issues.
3.  Major tightness in my calves.  Particularly the outside part.  I can feel how this tightness is extending to the front fo the lag a bit so I'm guessing ti has to do with the pain on the front of the leg.

On one of my runs last week my calves got so tight I could have cracked walnuts on them.  Really painful.

So, what say you BT?  Is it tight calves or tight ... what do you call the opposite side of your calves?  Shins I guess...

If either of these what are the best stretches for that area?  I already do quad an hammy stretches 2x a day.  Guess I need to add in lower legs...

2010-12-22 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3257823

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Pain/tightness in front of leg (not shin splints) Help!
Marathon stick or rollers of pain, sports massage of death, ice, heat, jacuzzy vibration massage, stretching, compression, all of that any of that. You may be doing too much too quickly so add walking more and running less until you are gtg.  You may have an imbalance in your stride related ot the injury that is causing a redistribution of weight that is making your muscles rebel.  My left colorbone break around 9/1 has resutled for now in a tight left shoulder which causes extra stress on my right hip flexor, left outer knee and oh somewhere else lower in my leg.  Also building after 3 months off, my leg muscles are still iffy.  I have been back at it for 3 months and I still have had to add rest days and walk parts of longer runs.  I also took one run day out and put in a bike/swim crosstrain day to help the legs. 
2010-12-22 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
This sound very familiar. Is the pain on the outside of your shin. Starts in your ankle and tightens its way up your leg as you run? Does the pain go away when your not running? What shoes are you wearing?

Edited by titeloops 2010-12-22 3:55 PM
2010-12-22 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3258130

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
titeloops - 2010-12-22 4:54 PM This sound very familiar. Is the pain on the outside of your shin. Starts in your ankle and tightens its way up your leg as you run? Does the pain go away when your not running? What shoes are you wearing?

Is the pain on the outside of your shin. More on the front of my ankle radiating up the skin and towards the outside of the calf.

Starts in your ankle and tightens its way up your leg as you run? Yep

Does the pain go away when your not running? Yes, for the most part, even stopping to walk makes it better.

What shoes are you wearing? Brooks Adrenaline.

Did you have these same issues?
2010-12-22 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
I had something very much like what you are saying.  My bone and joint doctor said it was accute tendenitis and prescribed me some anti inflamatory pills and couple weeks of rest.  All better now.
2010-12-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3258157

User image

Expert
Raleigh
TriRSquared - 2010-12-22 4:08 PM
titeloops - 2010-12-22 4:54 PM This sound very familiar. Is the pain on the outside of your shin. Starts in your ankle and tightens its way up your leg as you run? Does the pain go away when your not running? What shoes are you wearing?

Is the pain on the outside of your shin. More on the front of my ankle radiating up the skin and towards the outside of the calf.

Starts in your ankle and tightens its way up your leg as you run? Yep

Does the pain go away when your not running? Yes, for the most part, even stopping to walk makes it better.

What shoes are you wearing? Brooks Adrenaline.

Did you have these same issues?

I did. Not anymore. Tried lots of shoes, lots of stretching, and lots of NSAID's. In the end, I was at the ortho's for a different issue and mentioned this to him. What he said made lots of sense.  It's obviously a usage issue, and if the pain starts on the outside of the ankle, its because you are running on the outside of your foot. He made an orthodic insert for me. I haven't had any pain since!! keep in mind, this is my internet diagnosis, and I'm no Dr., but your symptoms sound identical to what I was dealing with. I say go see and ortho and see what they advise.

2010-12-25 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Been running for many years and never needed orthos before so I'm thinking that not the issue.

Today's run was the same real tight calves.  Stopped to stretch them out several times and it seems t be a bit more tolerable.  I think a few screaming sessions with the foam roller are in order.

Thanks for the ideas however...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain/tightness in front of leg (not shin splints) Help! Rss Feed