BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-12-23 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Greetings and Happy Holiday's, my group is available now so take a look at my info and come aboard if you like.

NAME: Roy Wilshire

STORY: Got into this sport by way of my youngest daughter, she was/is a swimmer and we were looking into how to utilize that skill outside of swimming. So I signed her up for an event I liked the atmosphere very much, a lot of very positive minded people in one place. So I figured I might as well join in. So it began. I have competed in sprints- half ironmans.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 28yr., two daughters

Current Training: I just finished my 2010 season with the Jacksonville Bank Marathon hit my time goal and am now going to take a few weeks of light training and prepare for the upcoming season.

Races: 2010 was a pretty productive year for me, my A race was the Florida 70.3 at Disney, then finished out the year with sprints and the Marathon.

2011 Races: Currently registered for the Escape from Clermont in preparation for St. Anthony's in May. I'll do my usual summers sprints and then may do a 70.3 with my daughter if her college schedule works out.

Weight Loss: This is not been an area of focus for me over the years fortunately. But when in full training mode I'll usually drop off 5 pounds from current weight of 180.

What would make me a good mentor: I've done this the past two years and have enjoyed the interaction with those in the group very much. It's a learning opportunity for the mentor as well. As an age group swim coach I feel that I have a pretty good perspective of the needs of an athlete and the variables that can go into ones training. But mostly I want to assist the new triathlete, speed up their learning curve and help get them to the start line for the first event.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-01-19 7:37 PM

2011-01-03 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay Group OPEN

Hi Roy I would like to join your Beginner Tri Mentor Program.

NAME: buc20/Courtney Blum

STORY: I am a 35 year old mother of a 2 yr. old son. I started attending a workout boot camp last May 10' and have currently lost 36lbs. I think I am addicted to feeling great without the extra weight loading me down. I have run some 5k's, but I want to complete a TRI! I am kind of afraid of ALL the new terminology that comes along with triathlon's, so I am very excited that this is offered.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 9 yrs, 2yr old son

Current Training: I am still doing the boot camp 3-4x's a week and attend personal training 3x's a week. I went to the pool to get a schedule of their swim training and they offer a triathlon training or stroke technique training, not sure which one to commit to yet.

Races: A handful of 5K's.

2011 Races:I am currently registered for the Florida Dirty Duo (just as a runner) Jan 16, and the Warrior Dash Jan 29th.

Weight Loss: Went from 161lbs. to 125lbs. in 7 months consistently working out 4-5 times a week with running at least 15 miles a week and eating healthy. Love my new weight just want to continue to tone up and get stronger.

2011-01-03 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Oops I forgot that I am going to sign up for the Daytona Frogman Triathlon April 17,2011.
Thanks Again, Courtney
2011-01-04 5:42 AM
in reply to: #3274925

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Morning Courtney,

Glad to have you in the group, you are officially the first for this year. It looks like you are well on your way to achieving your goals. Getting started in your preparation for your first tri can seem pretty overwhelming. But thats the great thing about this forum it is to help get you to the line. I look foward to helping in anyway I can. You live in St. Pete the North Shore pool always has lots of lap swimmers hanging around. I'm not sure what pool is close to you.

And Yes go Bucs!!!!!!

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-01-04 5:43 AM
2011-01-04 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hi Roy I would also like to join your Beginner Tri Mentor Program.

NAME: lwoodtri / Corey

STORY: I am a 40 years old and have been racing and training since 2003. I have raced quite a few sprints, olympic and 5 HIM's, but have yet to muster up for the full IM, perhaps someday. I also race for Team Armada Cyling (CAT 4) off and on over the years, but this year I plan in the early part of the spring doing Road Races, Time Trials or Criteriums.

For 6 years I have raced and trained pretty intensively, then in 2009 I had an appendectomy and have been unable to get back the motivation to train nor the level of fitness I had previously. Last year I raced only 1 race (St. Anthony's) and it was my worst Olympic time ever. I am hoping this year to get that motivation back and train to the level I was just a few years ago.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, Long Time Girlfriend (13 years)

Current Training: Currently I am training for St. Anthony's, I have after a few years joined Team in Training to raise some more money for the cause, and also to be with a group to train with, I felt could help getting me motivated. I have decided yesterday, that I would like to do the Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon end of February, so I am currently on a tight running schedule.

Races: in 2010, only St. Anthony's, and 2 5k's.

2011 Races: I am registered for St. Anthony's, and I will be signing up for Gasparilla this week. Probably do some spring time trials and road races. If my training goes well over the next few months, I might consider a year end 1/2 IM.

Weight Loss: I have put on an 15 extra pounds over the holiday, and over the past few months of just being lazy, so my goal is to drop to my racing weight of a few years ago . . 160-165.

It will be nice to meet all of you in the group, and work and train with you online, and perhaps even in person if we all have the opportunity to here in Florida.

~Corey
2011-01-04 8:50 AM

Hi Roy, I would like to join your group.

Name: Ron Arody

Story:  I have always loved endurance sports and have always wanted to do triathlons.  I am usually pretty good about getting up and doing activities/events on my own however there are certain aspects of triathlons that scare me just because I don't know it/understand it. This is the year however that I am finally going to jump into it.

Family:  Marrier 11 years two childern 11year old body & 3 year old girl

Current Trainning:  I am starnting to run and hit the gym a little bit. Getting ready for the couple of events I am already signed up for.

Races: 2010 was quite, did a handful of 5ks.

2011 Races: I an signed up for the LA Marathon & Warrior Dash. Looking for a 70.3 to sign up for.

Weight Loss:  I do need drop about 45 - 50lbs but that is not my main focus.  I was to get fit for tri's and I sure weight loss will come along the way.  

I hope I can join the group as I need to get some direction on basics such as what to wear to details on what kind of training program i should follow.   

2011-01-04 10:13 AM

Hi Roy - I would love to join your group! I am 42 with two very active 5 yr & 20 month old boys! I am training for my first ironman in May (St. George)!
2011-01-04 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Greetings Corey, Ron and JD glad your aboard. As you can see already with the group that is assembled at this point everyone will have an area of emphasis but all with a common cause which us what makes these mentor forums great. I look forward to the next few months, I'm sure we are going to have some great discussion. I am going to be away at a seminar tomorrow so I might not be able to respond until the evening or on Thursday morning. But if you have a question go ahead and ask.

2011-01-04 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Hi Roy,
Yes Northshore is the closest pool for me and I am looking at their schedule for either stroke technique or Triathlon training. By the way made the committment today and signed up for the Daytona Frogman Olympic Triathlon. I too am a little confused about what gear I will need, and how transitions take place and so on. I have a road bike a friend doesn't use and he basically said "Here have fun with it". Nice friend right?!
Talk to you soon, Courtney
2011-01-05 9:34 AM

User image

Hi Roy, 
Can you take on someone very green to the sport from Oklahoma?
It sounds like this group has some great experience that could be beneficial to me.

Name: bjflynn/Brian

Story: 35 years old. I am from Colorado/Wyoming and have led a fairly active life; Hiking, Kayaking, Baseball, Football, Rugby, Hockey, Swim team (7yr old to 16yr old). When I graduated college and got a carreer in Oklahoma I became less active. I have always been intrigued by the sport of triathlon and found out there are a few held in my area every year, so I thought "why not?"

Family:  Married almost 5yr, no children yet.

Previous Training:  Free wieghts, some running.

Current Training: Working on building up base fitness. 

Races: 2010 tried to train for last years race but got injured (terrible shin splints) in the early spring by trying to go to hard too soon. This discouraged me to the point of not doing much exercise until the beginning of October. 

2011 Races: Planning on a Sprint in April and an Olympic in June (registration not open yet) not sure after that.

Weight Loss:  Dropped ~40+ lbs when I decided to start eating better and got off my rear-end. I do still need drop about 20 - 30lbs, but like Ron that is not my main focus.   Through general fitness and the training that will work itself out.

What I can give to the group: I am not sure what I can offer to a such an experienced group, but anyting I can add to the discussions I will.   I have been updating my logs daily (since I found the site in December) and I will continue to do so.

Thanks for the consideration,
Brian

2011-01-05 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello Brian, and welcome. Would very much enjoy having you in the group. You already have some goals so your off to a good start.  We will all venture down the road together this spring, can't wait.

2011-01-06 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3280858

User image

Roy,

I appreciate it!  I am looking forward to learning from the group and getting involved in the sport.

Brian

2011-01-06 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Afternoon to you all,

Well a nice group is assembling for this spring. It appears that everyone has a race or two in their sights and a couple of you have already committed to a race. That sometimes is the first step in getting started and putting a little more urgency in the training. JD has really committed IM St. George is a committment for sure. I've checked most are using or have been using the logs available on BT. It is a great feature to utilize in whatever degree you choose. I know personally I've not used it to its fullest, but am going to try to improve on that this year. We can all add each other into our friends.

To date it looks like Corey, Courtney and Ron have the outdoors for training available to you. JD and Brian may still be working out indoors for the near term.

Courtney a borrowed bike is a great way to get started, that is what is nice about the sport you can compete with what you have without going out and spending lots. That will come soon enough.  But for now working on base conditioning is the emphasis for this time of year.

2011-01-06 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3282328

Hi Roy,

My name is Mike French from Orange Park, FL, just south of Jacksonville. 

Story:  This is my third year of triathlons.  Tried one in Inverness in 2009 and fell in love with the training and the race event.  I'm 53, so I'm limiting myself to Sprints, with no intent to extend the distances.  I want to focus on improving my duathlon and trithlon sprint times.

Family:  Married with four kids, 23, 20, 20 (twins) and 5 (yes, I have a 23 Year old and a 5 year old!)

Previous Training:  All BT training programs starting with the free beginner program in 2009.  Recently became a silver member and currenlty working on duathlon training.  I really like the training programs and religiously record my training.

2010 Races:  Nocatee Sprint duathlon in Jacksonville, Hammerhead Sprint Tri at Camp Blanding, Greater Gator Sprint duathlon in Gainesville

2011 Races:  Nocatee duathlon (need to improve my time!), Hammerhead Sprint at Camp Blanding, Tri Cooter in Inverness and Greater Gator duathlon in Gainesville (maybe some 5ks for fun and possibly an ocean swim sprint tri)

Weight loss:  Losing 5 - 10 pounds would be nice.

Let me know if you still have room in your group.  I like the Florida feel -- we share the same training opportunities (and challenges!),

Thanks,
Mike
2011-01-07 8:24 AM

User image

Bike experts.....
I am looking for a ideas on open road bike workouts.  I have started implementing a combination of workouts for the trainer. My road rides have been just riding, trying to pedal the entire ride.

Gear: Borrowed GT mountain bike that weighs close to a metric ton 
          Blackburn Delphi 4.0 computer (cadence and speed) Saturday will be the first full trial.

Not too worried about riding the mountain bike yet.  I should be getting a road bike soon ( I will be asking for more advice later), plus I figure the more I work on the mountain bike the stronger I will be on the road bike.

Thanks,
Brian 

2011-01-07 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3283456

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Welcome Mike glad to have you along with us. Was up that way last month in Jax. I'm a similar age with one daughter out of college last May and one with two years to go. So I can relate to that part anyway(lol). I see you like to do duathlon as well, we all should probably do one or two a year, its pretty taxing on the legs and should be a benefit in the long run to complement the triathlon. The Jax tri series is pretty good I hear and it is open water, you should look into those DRC is the promoter I think.

Anyway welcome.

2011-01-07 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3284103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

bjflynn - 2011-01-07 9:24 AM

Bike experts.....
I am looking for a ideas on open road bike workouts.  I have started implementing a combination of workouts for the trainer. My road rides have been just riding, trying to pedal the entire ride.

Gear: Borrowed GT mountain bike that weighs close to a metric ton 
          Blackburn Delphi 4.0 computer (cadence and speed) Saturday will be the first full trial.

Not too worried about riding the mountain bike yet.  I should be getting a road bike soon ( I will be asking for more advice later), plus I figure the more I work on the mountain bike the stronger I will be on the road bike.

Thanks,
Brian 

Brian a bike is better than no bike, and a mountain bike will get you started for sure. Corey may be able to chime in with some bike focused workouts, he's done some CAT racing. Does the bike you are using have the off-road knobbies or street slick? This will make a huge difference in your riding capabilities. In fact, unless you get a top of the line MTB they all are  pretty heavy compared to road bikes. But for the time being getting out and doing some riding is a benefit for sure.

I'm not sure what kind of roads or trails you have access to, at first you are going to be conditioning your sit bones. This can be the limiter of time of distance at first. Kind of like learning to play a guitar at first. And the saddle that is on the bike may not agree with you is another factor. So if you have a road bike in your future, just get out a ride 10-15 miles or further if you can and enjoy the outdoors if the weather allows. I grew up in Wichita KS. it can be a bit cold in the midwest this time of year and windy.

2011-01-07 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3284486

User image

Roy,

Bike still has the knobbies on it.  I have access to good wide shoulder highways (RT66) just out my front door. Luckily, I have been able to ride on Satudays without much problem, less last weekend (incredibly windy) which happened to be my longest ride (15mi.).  Sit bones slightly sore but not too uncomfortable. 

2011-01-08 8:31 PM

Hi Roy
I have participated in a Try a Tri and would like to do an actual Sprint.
I am a low key fitness instructor for 50 plus and over weight adult classes.

I have been married for 15 years and no children

My goal would be to participate in 3 sprints this year and would like you to help guide me through some of the questions I have.

For instance my first race is in May and I would like to know how much strengthening i should do during the training? Once, twice or three times per week?
2011-01-09 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3287362

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

gunnshell - 2011-01-08 9:31 PM Hi Roy
I have participated in a Try a Tri and would like to do an actual Sprint.
I am a low key fitness instructor for 50 plus and over weight adult classes.

I have been married for 15 years and no children

My goal would be to participate in 3 sprints this year and would like you to help guide me through some of the questions I have.

For instance my first race is in May and I would like to know how much strengthening i should do during the training? Once, twice or three times per week?

Greetings and welcome to the group, looking forward to assisting you along  with the others in getting to that first race this season.

2011-01-09 5:27 PM

User image

Jonesboro, AR
Hey Roy, do you still have room in this group? I would like to join. please let me know so I can give you all my info.

2011-01-09 7:36 PM

User image

Jonesboro, AR

Well I hope there is room in this group! So here I go:

NAME: Mauricio Solis

STORY: I have a friend that is 62 yrs and had done many ironmans. I recently started running and working out in order to lose weight so one thing took to another and now I'm looking for tri's. My goal is to one day be able to do an ironman.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 36yr., two boys

Current Training: I have done 2 5k's and before last year end was running 10k 3 times a week and doing some weightlifting. I would like to do my first tri asap, as well as the Little Rock Marathon if possible (maybe just half or it or all!).

Races: Couple 5k's in 2010. I started running around August.

2011 Races: Want to do Little Rock marathon in march if I'm rdy or just half if not.

Weight Loss: When I decided to get back in shape in July I was 211lb on a 5'7" frame. By the end of november I was 153lb!  Then went for vacations to Costa Rica over x-mas and gained 3lbs.....food is just delicious! so will get rid of that soon!  I want to lose some more body fat and build up muscle. i think I have about 12% body fat which according to some calculations is like 19lb of fat, so not sure how much I should get rid off, but would like to be in good shape...actually this is the best shape I have been since I was a kid!

I used to do lots of mountain biking and usually do cardio on a bike 16miles everyday. I know I can do a 5k or a 10k but swimming.....I'm like a rock on a pond...right to the bottom. I need to work alot of the swimming part so I'm looking for advice on this matter.

So there is, that's my story!

2011-01-09 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3284464

Roy,

It's great to be part of the group, thanks.  I like the duathlons since I can take a break from the swim training during the winter.  Plus, I need the work on the bike and run more than the swim -- they're all pretty marginal, but my bike times are the worst!

I'm not sure about the open water swims in the Jax series tris.  I'm a decent swimmer, but have a (probably unjustified) concern about the surf, salt water, and the sharks and other critters in the ocean so I haven't tried one yet.  Maybe this is the year...

Mike
2011-01-10 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3288813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

snakemau - 2011-01-09 8:36 PM

Well I hope there is room in this group! So here I go:

NAME: Mauricio Solis

STORY: I have a friend that is 62 yrs and had done many ironmans. I recently started running and working out in order to lose weight so one thing took to another and now I'm looking for tri's. My goal is to one day be able to do an ironman.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 36yr., two boys

Current Training: I have done 2 5k's and before last year end was running 10k 3 times a week and doing some weightlifting. I would like to do my first tri asap, as well as the Little Rock Marathon if possible (maybe just half or it or all!).

Races: Couple 5k's in 2010. I started running around August.

2011 Races: Want to do Little Rock marathon in march if I'm rdy or just half if not.

Weight Loss: When I decided to get back in shape in July I was 211lb on a 5'7" frame. By the end of november I was 153lb!  Then went for vacations to Costa Rica over x-mas and gained 3lbs.....food is just delicious! so will get rid of that soon!  I want to lose some more body fat and build up muscle. i think I have about 12% body fat which according to some calculations is like 19lb of fat, so not sure how much I should get rid off, but would like to be in good shape...actually this is the best shape I have been since I was a kid!

I used to do lots of mountain biking and usually do cardio on a bike 16miles everyday. I know I can do a 5k or a 10k but swimming.....I'm like a rock on a pond...right to the bottom. I need to work alot of the swimming part so I'm looking for advice on this matter.

So there is, that's my story!

Welcome Mauricio good to have you with us, looks like you have a good start on conditioning, now we'll work on getting you ready for your first Tri.

2011-01-10 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Morning to group TRI/TBAY, were just a couple of people away from closing out the group. I'd like to see what everyone is up to with there training currently, and then we can begin to get a little more involved in some idea sharing and specifics going forward. I participated in a swim camp this past Saturday at the NTC in Clermont with Sarah Mclarty, well worth the time of getting some good video and coaching feedback. Mostly body positional changes for me to work on creating a more streamlined posture in the water. I'm looking forward to working on that in the next few weeks. Outside of going into a very swim specific period I felt like  I needed to do something like this and it would be more beneficial to me personally and as a coach. Got in a nice ride yesterday so a pretty good weekend for me.

During this time frame, most everyone is two months or more out from an event, base conditioning should be taking place which is mostly aerobic type of work, relatively low intensity, moderate HR work, with increasing volumes. From what most everyone has written it looks like you are all doing something along there lines. As you move into February a more specific endurance period will begin, meaning increased heart rates with higher intensities of activity. If you are using a plan or just reading along in the forums you'll see RPE, Zone 1, etc. referred to by people, these are just a means of levels of exertion you are to use during a workout.  

Weight workouts are also important during this time, there are many discussions about this in relation to triathlon, but I'm a believer in doing weight workouts, mostly strengthening the muscle groups that we'll be using. Swim= shoulders, back, lats, triceps and core, Bike= legs, hamstrings, quads, glutes and core, Run= legs, hamstrings, glutes and core. Increasing body size isnt' as important as increasing lean mass specific to the activities we'll be doing. Once you get more into a race mode or have a race schedule for the year you may see your weight work begin to diminish do to time. But if you have the time I say continue. I try to always work my legs outside of running and biking. You'll notice that core is relevent to all three disciplines and an area that is easy to overlook, I'm guilty. And it is an area I'm putting some focus on at this time. Although I'm in very good shape that midsection could improve.

Give me some feedback on your thoughts.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17