of 17

2011-06-10 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3541249

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED
buc20 - 2011-06-09 2:51 PM

Awesome pictures Brett! Great job too! Yep I am racing this weekend, and if I don't sound too excited it is because I am a little under the weather. Started feeling it yesterday after teaching bootcamp. My trainer is out of town so I am teaching until Monday. Anyway drank a lot of OJ and downed some extra vitamins, feel a lot better today, but still a little sluggish. Oh well, to quote Roy "do what you can when you can"! Training has been sparse a swim here and there. It has been said that they already have 800 people signed up for this Sprint! This will be my first whole TRI over 100 people. I did St. Anthony's but just the running leg. Kind of nervous with all these people scheduled to race. Any good tips for tranisitions in the crowd?

Have a good weekend!

Hi Courtney sorry your a little under the weather. There is something going around I've had several employees miss work recently. Hopefully you'll get to feeling better for race day.

Nothing new you need in transition for a big event, you'll just find that things are a lot more crowded and compacted. And you'll quickly find out who on your bike rack likes to take up more room than they should. Get there early so you can be one of the first to rack your bike it gives you more options of where you can place things. I'm not sure if this event has dedicated spots assigned to numbers, if it is just a rack with general numbering then you can rack anywhere where your number coincides with that rack. I like to either go to one of the ends is my first choic, then if there are two racks go to the middle area where you have a little more room. I kind of like the end near the fencing, you can usually put your non essentials up against the fence line and you have a bit more room to operate.

Once again it is a learning opportunity in how things go. I did this race once I liked it, so go have a great time and give us a great report!!!!

2011-06-13 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Hi Everyone,

Well being sick didn't stop my Tri yesterday. I finished in1:20:54 came in 10th in ag out of 46. Very happy with that considering I have no voice and can't breathe! So the swim start was in the water something new for me, so I got in the back as I did not want to get a foot to the face. So we were off and it was hard to get around these slower swimmers, but once I got around and into somw clear water game on. Swim felt good, probably because the water wasn't 68 degrees lol! We had to run in the thick sand to T1 but all in all a good T1. Got on the bike and just took off. My goal was not to go slower than 18 mph which I accomplished, just kept pushing myself! T2 went smooth as well. The run was HOT of course no shocker there, could of done better I think but we will wait and see for the next one in July! I will post pics soon! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

2011-06-13 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Hey guys.  Been a while since I've stopped in.  Dropped off the bike yesterday to be shipped out to Idaho.  I am now in taper madness mode

2 weeks from yesterday I'll be attempting to go 140.6 miles on my own power.  I keep alternating between excitement and sheer terror.

2011-06-13 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3547159

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
TriRSquared - 2011-06-13 6:50 PM

Hey guys.  Been a while since I've stopped in.  Dropped off the bike yesterday to be shipped out to Idaho.  I am now in taper madness mode

2 weeks from yesterday I'll be attempting to go 140.6 miles on my own power.  I keep alternating between excitement and sheer terror.

Good luck Sean, I have faith that you will slaughter it!!!
2011-06-14 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Well here is the only photo of me at the Dunedin Triathlon on Sunday, and that was with my phone after the race. They did not have any professional Photographers out there which is shocking to me. Has anyone run into this before? It is just that I usually don't have anyone there to take pictures so I always just wait to see them online. No big deal but I like pictures!!!!!!!

(Dunedin Tri.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dunedin Tri.jpg (5KB - 22 downloads)
2011-06-15 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Sometimes I never notice if there are photographers out there.  I always like to look at the photos, but most times they are just so expensive.  I was fortunate to get some great shots from my wife with my last tri.  Just wish those professional photos did not cost an arm and a leg.

Hope everyone is having a great week so far.  Going well for me with training.  Went on a great 33 mile ride last Saturday with friends.  Awesome to get out there with a group.  Been to the pool twice this week with a 1200 yd continuous swim this morning.  Working on longer distances getting ready for my OWS sprint tri in 5 weeks.

Enjoy the remainder of the week everyone.

2011-06-15 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Greetings All, and I to hope everyone is having an outstanding week?

Courtney glad you were able to race last weekend, sounds like you were pleased with the result! Great Job.

Sean, good to hear from you, you still sleeping in your compression wearTongue out. I saw a thread a while back and you had thrown in there. So I know you doLOL! Actually I have slept in my calf sleeves a couple of times. Anyway I saw on ST that current water temps are 55. So be prepared and be careful, is your wife Ok with temps like that as well. Let us know when your bib # are up, we will be tracking and wishing you and your wife the best.

OK Courtney no pics, whats up with that. There was great anticipation for the latest edition, but not to be this time huh. No photog would be rare, they might have been somewhere lerking getting shots.

Well I'm up this weekend in Sebring Fathers Day, Macca was supposed to there as a guest participant but he had to change his schedule and will be racing this weekend in Europe. I was looking forward to that, he's my man.

Train well everyone,
2011-06-15 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
I hear ya Roy about Macca. I would love to have the chance to meet him one day. I am currently reading his book, "I'm Here to Win". Fantastic read so far. I follow him on Twitter, which is really great to get an insight into their elite triathlete life.
2011-06-15 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Hi Brett I'm reading the book as well. Was going to get it signed, but I read on their website that if you already have a copy to bring the one you have and they are going to exchange it with a signed copy. So not to bad of a trade off. I haven't read real far as of yet, but he was an exceptional triathlete right away. Must be nice, we can only dream and use people of his talents as inspritation to be the best we can be.
2011-06-16 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Well,

On the Facebook page for the Dunedin Tri they said that years' past they had professional photographers but the photographer didn't want to do it this year because of not enough orders last year. I think that if they made them more reasonable in price they wouldn't have a problem selling them. Especially to me when I don't have the pleasure of my hubbie coming to my races- he usually has to work and my friends are usually racing with me! lol! Anyway- Congrats on your Tri Brett and GREAT Pictures as well!

Roy- I just signed up for www.savagerace.com it is in your backyard- Clermont? It is a mud run 5k with obstacles and a 250 meter OWS! 11 am wave if your game? lol!!!!

Training is sparse but should be back on track next week when my son starts his camp 3x a week!!! Yeah!!!! 

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE TRIDADDY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Kiss

2011-06-16 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Yea I agree on the price they place on their photos. I have only purchased one time and just didn't feel I needed another. Now if and when the IM opportunity comes that might be purchase worthy.

2011-06-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3552008

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

tri/tbay - 2011-06-16 9:31 AM Yea I agree on the price they place on their photos. I have only purchased one time and just didn't feel I needed another. Now if and when the IM opportunity comes that might be purchase worthy.

YES!!!!!!! IM is definitely worthy!!! Oh HIM too!Wink

2011-06-17 12:26 PM

User image

Arnold, MD

Bret,

Enjoy the taper....

Roy/Chick

Its funny you guys are reading the Macca book. I just finished it coming back from Vegas 2 weeks ago. It would be good to hear your thoughts about it when you are done.

Racing: I am racing a sprint - fathers day - Assateague Assault Sprint Tri. I am excited. (This was the first tri I ever did) - ocean swim, wild ponies, fast flat course. Weather is looking awesome.

I have a question for the group. If you were comfortable/prefer swimming without a wetsuit, what would be the low temperature threshold you would swim without a wetsuit in (for a sprint .5 mile ocean swim) ? 

2011-06-17 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

I am currently through chapter 6 of Macca's book.  I am just amazed at the amount of miles he put in each year.  Seeing that he runs on average over 2,000 miles a year and bikes over 10,000 miles sometimes in a year.....my jaw just dropped.  I know being a professional triathlete is his job, but still amazing numbers.

I am also intrigued at the mental side he speaks of.  So many times a negative thought will creep in your head and as Macca says, you're done mate!  So so true.  He is the unltimate in training his mind for the tasks at hand and understands his competitions strengths and weaknesses from head to toe.

So far, a great book.  I highly recommend it to everyone else.

2011-06-17 2:52 PM

User image

Arnold, MD

Courtney,

Only my big races seem to have photogs.... I love pics too and I am sorry folks I have not posted any. I am for sure the guy who leaves all of his photos on his camera's memory card.

You are right though the prices are insane... more people would buy them if they were reasonable. I havent had a good one taken of me yet though.... always one with my mouth wide open or coming out of the swim looking like death.... rant......

2011-06-19 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Happy Fathers Day to the dads out there!I wanted to ask a question. I wanted to get some things screenprinted onto a Tri top. Any suggestions out there for a good top with few seems that would be perfect to add some screenprinting?

2011-07-11 7:56 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Hey guys... It's been a while but things have been crazy busy.  Just got back late last week from my trip out to Idaho from IMCdA.  Here is my "short" race report.  This will be a bit abbreviated as there is so much to tell.

Got down to the swim about an hour before the start and got my bike all set up and special needs bags dropped off. Cherry, Max & my dad scouted out a god spot to watch and I got on my wetsuit and walked down to the beach.

The air temp was actually a bit lower than the water temp (55F) so it was a bit chilly. Waited on the beach for about 10 mins with 2500 of my closest friends and then BOOM the cannon went off. 2500 people all entering the water at one time is quite an experience. It's more of a wresting match than a swim. For the entire 2.4 miles I do not think I swam more than 4-5 strokes w/o someone touching my leg, getting hit in the head with a hand or me hitting someone else's leg.

The swim is 2 loops (1.2 miles each). First loop was fine, but crowded. I really was not cold at all as I had on a full wetsuit and was pretty warmed up. On the second loop the cold began to creep in and I began to get an ice cream headache. My nose, ears and hands were numb at this point. Got out in about 1:22 which was below my goal of 1-1/2 hours.

Made my way to the changing tent and grabbed by bike bag. I sat down to change and bean to shake uncontrollably. I could only must 30 seconds of stability before the shakes would start again. The volunteers in the changing tent were great however, getting things out of the bag for me and loading my wetsuit and goggles back into the bag.

Off on the bike. I had already ridden the "hilly" part of the bike course the day before. The course first went out along the lake. I had figured it would be relatively flat. Boy was I wrong. It had two big hills as well. So I ground past them and then went off into the hills. Cherry & crew were at the start of the hills to give me some moral support. The first loop went well with an avg speed of 17.5 mph. After the halfway point (mile 56) things got a bit uglier. The second loop was a lot harder. My avg fell to 16.5mph and my back began to HURT. My rides in San Antonio were no preparation for these hills. They just went on forever.

The second loop got better about 1/2 way through however with only one major cramp going up the steepest hill (14% grade). Saw the support crew 3 more times on the bike and I cruised into T2. 112 miles on the bike down. 26.2 left to run.

Changed into my run clothes and headed out for the longest run of my life to date. In training I had only ever gone 19 miles.

The first 1/2 of the marathon was OK. I was already pretty tired and knew I would not be able to run the entire thing. I settled on a 3/1 interval and kept a 12:xx min/mile pace. Slow but acceptable. At the 1/2 way point however things went south. Everything hut, I had no energy, my stomach was telling me it was not going to accept anything w/o a fight and general felt like crap. I had LONG stretches of walking at this point. This kept up till about mile 19.

I'm not sure what happened at this point but I began to run. And I kept running for the next 7 miles. I think my brain decided that it hurt the same walking or running so I might as well get it over with as quickly as possible. I did about a 10:xx pace for the last 7 miles.

I passed a ton of people who were walking and then made the final turn onto Sherman street. I could see the finish line about 6 blocks down the road. The sun had just set so the finish was all lit up. One spectator shouted "run to the light!" which made me smile. It was a gentle downhill slope the whole way and I picked up the pace. There were 1000s of people all lining the roads cheering us on, and I had this huge grin on my face the entire way. As I got close to the finish I saw Cherry and my family and gave them a wave. As I got close to the line I heard Mike Riley announce: "Sean Dotson, you are an Ironman". Those 6 words I had been training for 6 months to hear.

My final time was 14:19:41, well below my goal of 15 hours. While my bike and run could have been better this was a tough course. A bucket list item has been checked off. Will I ever do one again? Ask me in a few weeks...

And some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/sdotson/IronmanCoeurDAlene?authuser=0&feat=directlink

2011-07-11 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Sean,

Congratualtions on becoming an Ironman!  I was thinking about you as I was watching Ironman Live for part of the day.  Absolutely inspiring!  I can just picture that scene you described coming to the finish line.  I bet the adrenaline kicked in with those spectors cheering you on.  I got emotional just reading it and picturing that moment!

Looking forward to checking out your pictures.

Again, congratulations!

2011-08-26 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Hope the summer has treated everyone well!!!

Look what I got this week:

(Scott bike 2.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Scott bike 2.bmp (84KB - 13 downloads)
2011-11-15 12:24 PM

User image

Arnold, MD

Hi All,

I signed up for St Anthony's - deferred my last years entry to this year due to my ski crash. That will not happen again I promise. Let me know if any of the FLA folks are planning on doing it again this year. General registration opens December 1st. Hope everyone is well.

Also - nice bike

- Vin

2011-11-17 11:25 PM
in reply to: #3902953

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Thanks Vin! I love my bike! Glad you are all healed, we missed you! Yes, I am thinking of signing up for St. A's. It will be my birthday present to myself!!!!

2011-11-22 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

I am planning to register for the White Lake HIM on May 5. 

I wanted to ask the group if it is a good idea to enter a race the weekend before (4/28) and treat it as prepartion for the HIM?

Thinking of either a sprint or olympic distance nearby.

Figured it may not be a bad idea to get a race in before the HIM to work out the offseason cobwebs and get ready for race conditions.

What are your thoughts?

2011-11-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3911671

User image

Arnold, MD

That might be a bit too close.......

I did a sprint one weekend and then a oly the next..... that wasnt too bad, but I dont think I would attempt anything for a HIM...... I would want to be fully fresh for that race.

2011-11-23 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
That makes sense Vin.  I appreciate that feedback and will take that advice!
2011-12-05 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
I am a Tough Mudder Everyone!!!!! 3 hours 35 mins on a broken pinkie toe!!!! Such an awesome experience!!!!!

(Tough Mudder Finish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tough Mudder Finish.jpg (21KB - 18 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17