BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2010-12-24 3:25 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME:
 BIGR82   /   Ryan McClain

STORY:
After always hating to run, gaining WAY to much weight after getting a full time job, finally I saw a glimpse of light.   It was a simple weight loss challenge, I was shocked that I couldn't weigh on a doctors scale.  Even at 6 foot 8 inches, you can only hide so much weight(370lbs).  My life changed from a stupid challenge, to getting healthy to be around for my friends & family.  After doing a local 5K with old buddies, the triathlon suggestion was made, the rest has been history. This year I've done 5 triathlons.  Meeting people through my local Tri Club, the BT forums, and last years Mentor groups, it has been simply amazing.  Mike(RANSICK) and I met on last years winter Mentor group.   Finding out we lived somewhat close to each other, it made it possible to train/race together numerous times this year.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Been married for going on 6 years, we are both 28 years old and only have a small dog as of now. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I try to do 3 s/b/r trainings  each week, but if things get crazy at work, I make sure to get at least 3 days of running in.  I'm doing a custom 20 week HIM plan right now building up to the New Orleans 70.3  April 17th.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This was my first year of doing Triathlons.  Did my first Sprint in April, it was the Sullivan IL sprint.  I also did the Gateway Sprint Tri(carlyle IL), Evergreen Sprint tri with OLY Bike(bloomington IL), Lytle Park Sprint tri (mattoon IL), Finishing the year with the Great Illini Olympic Tri(mattoon IL)

2011 RACES:  Starting the season off with my first HIM, New Orleans M-dot 70.3 in April.  Season after that is up in the air but looking at doing.  Sullivan Sprint tri May 1st, Gateway Oly Tri (last weekend in May), Evergreen Tri in July,  possibly the Chicago Triathlon in August, finishing with another HIM at the end of the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: 1/12/09  I was 370 pounds, in a year made it down to 280, currently about 290.  The winter seems to be easier to loose weight.  Hoping to be around 240-250 by April, but that will be a hard push

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Even though I've only had a year of triathlon racing/ training/volunteering, I've had great people around me all year long.  I very thankful for all the knowledge I've gained, with the help of Mike(RANSICK), there's allot of information and motivation to go around.  I truly think everyone has greatness in them, sometimes people just need a little help finding it.

NAME:
Ransick - Mike

STORY:
I've always been a casual jogger and mountain biker, but never consistent.  I was slowly putting on a couple pounds a year and got to the point I needed to lose some weight.  Without a goal, I just don't train consistently.  Last year a friend talked me in to running the St. Louis half marathon in April 2009.  I had never run more than about 5 miles, so this was a good, but achievable, goal.  Once I accomplished that, I decided I wanted to do a Sprint triathlon.  The only problem was I was not a swimmer (like a lot of beginners).  I went to the pool 3x a week and almost gave up because it was so humbling and humiliating.  I decided to stick it through and figured I could do a late season tri.  I was wrong!  Some people have swimming breakthroughs in a matter of weeks or a couple months.  It took me six months but I did it!  So in 2010 I did my first tri and it was amazing.  The best way I can describe it is that it made me feel alive.

FAMILY STATUS:
44 years old, married for 22 years.  My wife and I have a 19 year old daughter, a 13 year old son, and a few dogs and cats.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm following a custom built  20 week BT half ironman plan and mixing Jorge's winter cycling program in and will soon be mixing in some aspects of a tri-fuel plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did 2 half marathons and 5 sprint triathlons.  I planned to do an Olympic triathlon, but was sidelined due to a shoulder injury. 

2010 RACES:  I'm signed up for New Orleans 70.3.  The rest is in planning but will probably include a couple sprints, a couple olys, and another 70.3.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5' 7" / 160 lbs (down from my all time high of 185).  I would like to lose a little more.  I don't really care what the weight number is, but I don't like looking like a stuffed sausage in a wet suit :-)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I study the sport by reading books, reading lots of threads on BT and asking questions.  I love to learn and if I don't know the answer, I will help you find it.  Unfortunately, sometimes the answer is "whatever works for you", but I'll help you come up with a plan to figure that out too.  I also enjoy encouraging people to set reasonable goals and help them reach them.

Edited by ransick 2011-01-27 7:13 PM

2011-01-05 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3260767

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - OPEN
We are open!!!

Edited by ransick 2011-01-05 8:35 PM
2011-01-05 10:30 PM

User image

Can I join this group?
2011-01-06 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3281199

User image

Master
St. Louis
_T2_ - 2011-01-05 10:30 PM Can I join this group?

Of course you can.  Welcome!

Tell us a little about yourself.  You can use this format or make up your own.

NAME:

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING:

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

2010 RACES: 

WEIGHTLOSS:

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
2011-01-06 11:46 AM

Hi Ryan and Mike,

I would like to join your group.  I have started training this week so I will stat posting my workouts and times.  Here is a little info about me. Cool

NAME: Tanya

STORY:
 I started running Nov. 2009 and running and cycling in 2010, completed a couple 5k’s early in 2010 and did nothing this summer.  I decided to do my first Tri in 2011 because running made me feel great and I want to push my physical limits. 

FAMILY STATUS:
My family is not on board with me doing a Tri.  They think it is dangerous and would rather have me at home where it is safe and not on the road with traffic. My family has agreed to my training schedule and they do not sabotage me so technically they are on board but just won’t admit it.   I have a 13YO with special needs a 4YO who has just learned to say no and an adorable husband of 18Y.  I am 43 but still have an attitude of an 18YO(good, bad and sometimes ugly). 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I have started the 20W Beginners Sprint.  I will be getting my Y membership this weekend and will start my swimming then.  I plan on doing upper/lower/core training as well -here is an example

M/W/F

Morning-bike

Evening-Swim

T/TH/SAT

Morning-Run

Afternoon-Core

Evening-T-Upper body

Evening-TH-Lower Body

Evening SAT-Upper/Lower light workout each

Sunday-REST!!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Sprint Tri May 21st.

2010 RACES:  completed 2-5k’s

WEIGHTLOSS: I am in my healthy BMI(top limit) but like you no one really needs to see all that!!  I could lose between 10-30 lbs.  If I lost the complete 30lbs I would be at my leanest healthily BMI possible Very lean.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I want to do this even though in high school and throughout my adult life I have avoided all forms of exercise do to laziest. I have put tons of my effort in other aspects of my life and am ready to focus on my biggest challenge in 2011(I am sure I will have a newer bigger challenge in 2012).  I want to see how far I can be physically pushed(without injury or death) and am willing to make time for the training.   I want to learn and am looking forward to any and all advice, I am sure I will have many questions!

2011-01-06 1:18 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Tanya!  You came to the right place.  Ryan and I had many of the same questions last year, so we know what you are going through.  Don't be shy.  There are no dumb questions.  The thing I liked most about the mentor groups I was in last year is that I could ask questions I was too shy to ask in the general forums. 

Edited by ransick 2011-01-06 4:56 PM

2011-01-06 2:50 PM

Veteran
Welcome Tanya

Sounds like you have a good start, seems like how Mike & I both got going.

The training logs are a very helpful,  most places don't give you these options for free.  I will also be updating mine soon haha(usually always do)  But after being sick for a week & falling down some stairs, the last week and a half has been fun haha.

Good to have you on board!!! 
2011-01-06 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3282566

User image

Central Oregon
Hi, I'd also like to join your group. Here's my bio:

NAME: Victoria

STORY:
I will be 34 in April. I had this idea in my head that 33 is a pretty good age to do a tri... and then I started swimming with a friend about a month ago. I had the idea to complete a sprint in the spring and then a friend suggested I join her for an Olympic this summer. (If I can do it.) I enjoy swimming, but it's difficult... so I need lots of improvement there. I don't really enjoy some of the biking pains. LOL But I think, hey, I didn't like running either when I started and that has been my sport of choice for five years and through 3 pregnancies.

FAMILY STATUS:
  Married with 3 little girls. They are 4, 3 and 1.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  M and F is a group power (weight lifting) class and I run 2-3 miles afterward. Tuesday is a spin class and I try to make it on Thursday too. I run 2-3 miles after the class if I feel like it and don't need to be back home. Wednesday I swim for 45 mins. to an hour. Saturdays are my long runs, recently that has been 10-12 miles.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I have a lot to choose from in my area, so I'd like to do a sprint this spring and the ultimate goal is an Olympic with my friend from college in July.

2010 RACES:  Haulin' Aspen Marathon (trail) (baby was 7 months old)

WEIGHTLOSS: I started running in 2005. So, if you count the weight I lost before I became pregnant for the first time, along with losing weight after each pregnancy, I have lost 115 pounds in about 4.5 years. Right now I would like to drop body fat, around 16-18% would be super.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: This question seems difficult for some reason... I have a lot of questions, I don't really know what I am doing and I need guidance. Is that a good answer?
2011-01-06 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
y'all got room for me? loved being in a group w/ you last spring, mike....

marla
2011-01-06 4:49 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Victoria!  It sounds like you have a really good base fitness coming in to the try season.  We'll help get all your tri questions answered.  Your "good mentee" answer is perfect.  We are here to answer questions and help you find the answer if we don't know it.
2011-01-06 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3283098

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Marla!  Of course we have room for you.  You answered a bunch of my questions last year, so you can help us out answering questions too :-).

2011-01-06 8:08 PM

Thanks for the welcome!! 
and Hi Everyone!

2011-01-06 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3283439

User image

Master
St. Louis
Tanya, is your Sprint in May a pool swim or open water swim (OWS)?
2011-01-06 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3281424

User image

NAME: Thomas

STORY:  I have always wanted to do a tri but have never made the commitment.  I did the Detroit half marathon 2 years ago, but I've since had lingering knee problems. I'm ready to work on getting my knee stronger and losing some weight so I won't look like the sausage in the wetsuit. Cool

FAMILY STATUS:
  I've been married 6 years and have two daughters 2,4.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  I'm currently working on getting a training plan.  I believe I'll use one from this site.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  So far Chicago half, Petoskey Sprint.  I want to do some duathlons also.

2010 RACES:  None 2009 Detroit half

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose 50lbs. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I will be involved as much as I can.
2011-01-06 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3283598

User image

Master
St. Louis
_T2_ - 2011-01-06 9:33 PM NAME: Thomas

STORY:  I have always wanted to do a tri but have never made the commitment.  I did the Detroit half marathon 2 years ago, but I've since had lingering knee problems. I'm ready to work on getting my knee stronger and losing some weight so I won't look like the sausage in the wetsuit. Cool

FAMILY STATUS:
  I've been married 6 years and have two daughters 2,4.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  I'm currently working on getting a training plan.  I believe I'll use one from this site.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  So far Chicago half, Petoskey Sprint.  I want to do some duathlons also.

2010 RACES:  None 2009 Detroit half

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose 50lbs. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I will be involved as much as I can.

Yea, spandex and wetsuits aren't real forgiving :-).  The good news is that at a tri, there are people of all shapes and sizes and everyone is supportive.

BT plans are good.  I usually look at those, look at a couple other free plans, then re-arrange things to meet my schedule.
2011-01-06 9:49 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Victoria, the Haulin' Aspen marathon sounds brutal.  How were the hills?  How did you like the race?

2011-01-06 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3283592

Ryan,
My sprint in May is OWS.  Haven't yet thought about my gear that I will need for the swim but am looking forward to getting my tires on my bike changed from knobbies to smoothies.  

2011-01-07 7:44 AM

New user

Hopefully you dont mind if I join.  Seems like this group is right for a beginner like me.

NAME: Cliff

STORY: 
I completed my first tri which was a spring in August and now I have decided to do the New Orleans 70.3 in April.  I know I shold do an olympic before the half iron, but I cant help myself. 

FAMILY STATUS:
  just have a girlfriend

CURRENT TRAINING:
Im somewhat doing the ontri app from my iphone.  I am in the gym 5 days a week.  Ive joined a group of riders most mornings for 20 mile rides on the weekdays and soon to be going to the 50 mile weekend rides.  Pool swimming for now until mid to late feb when i start the open lake swimming

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  New Orleans 70.3 so far.  I want to see if I like swimming this much.

2010 RACES:
  Fairhope Grandman Sprint (1:39:14. 3rd place first timers)

WEIGHTLOSS:   wouldnt mind losing around 15lbs.  Im not overwweight.  just for leaning up purposes

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  Once I get myself in to something, I go all out. with this new triathlon phase, I am trying to learn and talk about it as much as possible so that I can learn and help others.  New Orleans is not far away, so there will be alot of info to be exchanged.
2011-01-07 9:25 AM

Veteran
WELCOME,

Victoria, looks like you have a great start, an Olympic is easily in your reach!!

Tom,   buddy you have a good running base, swimming & biking are alot easier to pick up, running will cut the most time off your races.

Marla,  I wish I would have got to know everyone better in last years training group, it was hard to always keep up with the posts haha.

Cliff, sounds like you have a nice goal set for the start of the year.  It will be nice to try and meet up with ya down  in NOLA.  You won't miss Mike and  I if we are together down there, its like Danny D. & Arnold S.  from the movie TWINS haha(mike is much skinnier than Danny though)
2011-01-07 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
Southeastern Louisiana
Good Morning Gentlemen, I am also looking for a group  to join.

Name: Robert Ebersole/ rebersole2

story: I am 41 y/o. On my birthday, Aug 3, 2009, I weighed 328 lbs. A former football player and a person that let hisself go for about 2 decades, I had a new obligation that popped up. I had three children already and remarried a younger lady, she became pregnant and now I am the proud Dad of Four (ages 17, 12, 11 and 2).

family status: Married to Stephanie for 9 years, with 4 children (Brandon, Brent, Taylor and Alex), all whom live with me.

current training: I am basically a runner, averaging about 30- 40 miles a week. I swim when I get a chance and bike when the weather warms up a little. I do runs (5K, 10K and half marathons), I've done a few sprint tris also.

this year's race: will do some runs and a few sprint tris, they will be placed as my work schedule allows.

weightloss: I was 328 lbs on 8/3/2009, I am currently in the 250 lb range.
2011-01-07 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3283629

User image

Central Oregon
ransick - 2011-01-06 7:49 PM Victoria, the Haulin' Aspen marathon sounds brutal.  How were the hills?  How did you like the race?

I can't wait to do it again this year! It was my second year running it, but the first year I did the half distance. I really, really love this course! Gush.... anyways, the hills were brutal, and honestly I like that part the best. The course has a pretty good decent on the way back which (supposedly) makes for a fast finish. My sense of direction isn't the greatest though, I missed some flags and got lost twice, so I ran a little farther than expected.

Ryan- Oops, I messed up, the tri my friend is suggesting is the Revolution3 in Portland in July... it's a half ironman distance. I guess the part I question is the swim, especially in open water.

Welcome to everyone else!

Edited by Brightbow 2011-01-07 11:14 AM

2011-01-07 11:50 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Cliff and Robert!

Cliff, I'm jumping from Sprints to a HIM too.  I plan to pick up an Oly about a month after NOLA.

Robert, congrats on the weightloss!  Well done.

Mike
2011-01-07 12:09 PM

Room for one more?

Story: Immediately after college (15ish years ago), I weighed 320 lbs. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 5 years ago. I got as low as 240 roughly a year ago, but I've lost focus a bit. This morning I was 255.2 and my Diabetes is completely under control. I have a fairly athletic background - I played lacrosse in high school and (until about a month ago) played pickup basketball weekly. I got into cycling about 18 months ago, culminating in a 66-mile charity ride last July. That made me realize that I'm capable of a lot more than I give myself credit for and I just need to push myself.

Family Status: Married with an 11 year-old daughter. My daughter is a big reason I'm doing this. I want to be a good fitness role model and a father she is proud of. 

Current Training: I'm on my indoor bike trainer 2 - 3 x per week. I play paddle tennis weekly, along with a weekly Pilates class.

Weight Loss: HUGE goal for me. Looking to be <225lbs (210 would be perfect) on race day (6/25/2011)

2011 Races: Just 1 - the Philly Tri (Sprint) on June 25. Also riding in the ACS Bike-a-thon again this year (early July)

Looking to start the 22 week Total Sprint training plan no later than Jan 22.

Sorry for the long post - thanks for having me!

Mike

2011-01-07 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3284746

User image

Master
St. Louis
conway9 - 2011-01-07 12:09 PM Room for one more?

Story: Immediately after college (15ish years ago), I weighed 320 lbs. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 5 years ago. I got as low as 240 roughly a year ago, but I've lost focus a bit. This morning I was 255.2 and my Diabetes is completely under control. I have a fairly athletic background - I played lacrosse in high school and (until about a month ago) played pickup basketball weekly. I got into cycling about 18 months ago, culminating in a 66-mile charity ride last July. That made me realize that I'm capable of a lot more than I give myself credit for and I just need to push myself.

Family Status: Married with an 11 year-old daughter. My daughter is a big reason I'm doing this. I want to be a good fitness role model and a father she is proud of. 

Current Training: I'm on my indoor bike trainer 2 - 3 x per week. I play paddle tennis weekly, along with a weekly Pilates class.

Weight Loss: HUGE goal for me. Looking to be <225lbs (210 would be perfect) on race day (6/25/2011)

2011 Races: Just 1 - the Philly Tri (Sprint) on June 25. Also riding in the ACS Bike-a-thon again this year (early July)

Looking to start the 22 week Total Sprint training plan no later than Jan 22.

Sorry for the long post - thanks for having me!

Mike

Welcome Mike!  Nice job on the weight loss.

This is shaping up to be a good group.
2011-01-07 12:55 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Here is the group so far.  It's shaping up well.

_T2_ - Thomas
paygilr - Tanya
Brightbow - Victoria
MarlaS - Marla
CliffK110 - Cliff
rebersole2 - Robert
conway9 - Mike

A couple things we can get started while the group fills up.

I encourage you to add everyone in the group as friends in your training log.  To do that, go to Settings -> Training Blog Customization -> Friends and add everyone in the group (including Ryan and I, big82 and ransick).  This will allow members in the group an easy way to get to your logs and offer encouragement via inspires.  If you aren't familiar with inspires, they are a cool way to offer each other encouragement.  One trick with them is that if you want to respond to one to say thanks, or whatever, click "reply" then type your response instead of just typing it in the empty space below the inspire you received.  If you click reply, it will post in the other person's inspire list.  If you hit post, your response will show up in your own inspire list.  If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

If you aren't logging your workouts, I encourage you to start.  It is helpful when asking questions on the forum and mentor group for others to see what kind of training you are doing.  It is also nice to see your progress over time.  If you are logging workouts and have your log set to private, I encourage you to go to Training Log Settings and allow your friends to see your logs.

I encourage all the above, but none of it is required.  You can use the group to ask questions, just follow along, or fully engage. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23