General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Light swim day = Rest day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-31 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: Light swim day = Rest day
Hello All, still trying to work out my training schedule for the new year (sophomore year).  I downloaded a program and have re-arranged the days to fit my current obligations.

With trying to get in 3 bikes, 3 swims, and 3 running days, and busy schedules, has anyone ever used a light swim day as their "Rest Day" or is this a recipe for disaster/injury?  I am willing to cut out a bike day and just do two a week (one long ride/one interval day).  Since swim is my weakest, I don't want to miss out on these.

currently

M-swim (light swim) , tues- am run, wed-am bike/lunch swim, thur-am run, friday- am bike/lunch swim, saturday- run, sunday - long bike.

Possibly fitting in yoga tues-lunch (far from pool on tuesday).

I am trying to not let working out interfere with time after work with kids.  My first year, wife was very supportive with my schedule, but don't want to sacrifice kid time this year 

Any thoughts? 

2010-12-31 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3270431

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Light swim day = Rest day
Personally I don't worry about rest days.  I do take them but they are rare.  I do have easy days, and a swim can fit the bill for that.  I wouldn't take a bike or run out, just eliminate "rest" days.  As long as your not going full out for all workouts you'll be fine.  Listen to your body and take a break when you need one, but I bet life itself gives you enough.
2010-12-31 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3270447

User image

New Haven, CT
no, rest is rest, no workout at all.  a light swim is an easy day.  i have no preset rest days because life inevitably requires me to take them so i just juggle.
2010-12-31 7:34 PM

Veteran

A light swim can be considered a recovery day but not rest day. I typically take one every week. Sometimes it is as much for mental recovery as physical.

2010-12-31 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
It's up to the individual.  Last year my training plan didn't have a rest day, but rather two days where I just swam, one of them "light".  I was able to fit in workouts of 4/4//4 and never felt run down.  It worked for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Light swim day = Rest day Rss Feed