United States
31F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 56s
Overall Rank = 59/200
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30 to get dressed and ready to go. Ate a Peanut Butter Sandwich, and drank some water

The gang (all six of us) met up here at my house, and piled into the van at about 6:25 for the 1 hour drive to the event. Traffic was light at got there with little difficulty.

Got to the event - got dressed -- had about a 1/4 cup of Hot Chocolate that was provided by one of the race sponors. Walked to the starting line, and got ready for the race
Event warmup:

Just a short jog from packet pickup, back to the van. Not much more
Run
  • 2h 05m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was very WEIRD. I started out on the run, at a respectable pace, but my HR shot up through the roof. 206 at one point. Garmin kept pinging me that HR was too high. Don't know why. I'm assuming an adrenalin rush or something as we started.

My HR stayed high for my pace thoughout the first 10 miles of the run, and that took a toll toward the end BIG TIME.

Nutrition I think was the key problem as I did not take gels or even much water/gatoraide on the course. First -- didn't have any gels, and accidentally left my 'gum drops' in the car and didn't realize until basically the start time. While the last three miles my HR was well within my target of 155-160, there was no gas left in the tank and I ended up walking WAY too much. I'm not happy with that, but I'm happy with the race overall. Disappointed that I didn't make my goal time, and especially disappointed that it flew out the window in the last two miles. But it is what it is.

Temperature was pretty cold, although during most of the run, I didn't feel at all cold, and was actually pretty comfortable, but I think that impacted pace, as the body had to work to stay warm -- or so I think

I did try to stay to my race plan of pacing around 8:45-8:55 per mile, but because of other factors, primarily nutrition I think, The tank just hit empty at around mile 11. That did happen once in training, so I'm pretty sure that's the main culprit.

What would you do differently?:

Watch HR better, particularly early on. I know that having it as high as it was as long as it was had an impact.

NUTRITION, NUTRITION, NUTRITION!! I've got to get my hands around this area of my racing if I ever want to meet my goals. I also would force myself to drink more. The temperature didn't make me feel thirsty, so like an idiot, I didn't drink. Probably drank about an ounce of gatoraide at stop one, and probebly only 3-4 ounces of water (if that) the rest of the race. FORCE MYSELF TO HYDRATE!!!!

Calling the run below average, only because I was right on target through Mile 11, and then CRASHED in mile 12 and 13. Had I been able to keep from walking, my pace would have stayed at target range. Disappointed that I was on track for goal pace as long as I was before hitting the wall.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off going back to the car to put on dry shirt and jacket. Drank about a half bottle of water (even after finishing the race, just didn't feel like drinking).

Went to the ART (massage) tent and had the therapist stretch my legs a bit. REALLY HELPED!

Stayed around to claim my FIRST PLACE IN AGE GROUP award

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Primarily Nutrition. Gotta solve that problem

Event comments:

For a first year event, and small in size, this race was extremely well done. Event started on time, was organized, adequately staffed (counld have used a few more course volunteers, but that's about it)

SWAG bag was excellent, especially for an event of this size. All participants got TWO technical event T-Shirts... one long sleeved and one short sleeved. A CUSTOMIZED Finishers medal, Free Hot Chocolate and Gelato from a race sponsor.

I would definately do another of this race directors events. Was very pleased overall.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:09 | 13.1 miles | 09m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Below average
Mile 1 - 8:46 HR AVE: 160 HR MAX: 206 (yes - that's what it said) Mile 2 - 8:47 HR AVE: 163 HR MAX: 167 Mile 3 - 8:49 HR AVE: 164 HR MAX: 169 Mile 4 - 8:52 HR AVE: 166 HR MAX: 170 Mile 5 - 8:47 HR AVE: 168 HR MAX: 173 Mile 6 - 9:03 HR AVE: 166 HR MAX: 169 Mile 7 - 9:11 HR AVE: 166 HR MAX: 169 Mile 8 - 8:58 HR AVE: 162 HR MAX: 165 Mile 9 - 9:19 HR AVE: 163 HR MAX: 167 Mile 10- 9:39 HR AVE: 156 HR MAX: 163 Mile 11- 10:05 HR AVE: 155 HR MAX: 161 Mile 12- 10:41 HR AVE: 150 HR MAX: 160 Mile 13- 11:41 HR AVE: 141 HR MAX: 151
Course: Mostly flat, although there were some roly-polies. Long gradual climb in miles 5-7 but still only about 120 of elevation gain. On bike trail through parks. Mostly out and backs, but there were a couple of 'side jaunts' that had to be taken to make the course measure out. Decent course overall.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-01 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: New Years Day Half Marathon

2011-01-01 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3271412

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: New Years Day Half Marathon

WOW!  So freaking close to goal!

Great job!!!!

Yes, the lack of gels and fluids was your issue.  You nailed it in your assessment.  You still did fantastic today, be proud of holding it together for 11 miles on no nutrition!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Years Day Half Marathon Rss Feed