General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2011-07-25 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3273204

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread
I'm 536 and shooting for 11:59:59.  Probably 1:25 swim, 6:15 bike, 4:00 run (T1+T2 = 10 min ish) with a little slush time in there.  So hoping for a 16 min PR over last Vineman.  Goals are fun, but race day is race day, wind, heat, stuff.... just keep puting 1 foot in front of the other until someone hands you a cold beer.  

2011-07-25 11:50 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
#662. Whew, I did not want to be 666.

I was debating between clear and tinted goggles as I wasn't sure how the morning sun would present itself but with the morning fog looks like clear, right?

I guess I'll add my game paln. One and only goal is to finish within the time allowed. This was kind of a last minute thing and actually just getting myself in a position to get to the starting line with a good shot at finishing has been a tremendous reward. I really feel good right now and am enjoying and appreciating the fitness I've gained.

I'm shooting for a swim of 1:30 to 1:40, bike of 6:30 so off the bike between 8:15 to 8:30. From there, I'll just have to see. My initial plan will be to cover each length (4.33 miles) of the run in one hour. That's just under a 14 minute mile or about a 6 hour run. Gets me in at 14:30. And with that I would be greatly pleased.

Edited by popsracer 2011-07-25 12:03 PM
2011-07-25 12:19 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I would have been #862 which I'm super bummed about since I am still having issues with PF and there's no way I could have even been able to train up to walk the marathon portion.  Anyways,  I usually race well with an even BIB #- weird, I know.  Based off my BIB # I'd like to think that I would have had a good race at Vineman.  Is it wrong to already have a virtual finish time??

Anyways, on a more positive note.  The hubster and I are thinking about driving from San Francisco along Highway 1 to get to Santa Rosa.  It's a longer drive  but more scenic.  I read somewhere that Highway 1 was closed due to a landslide and wouldn't re-open until the end of June.  Does anyone know if it's open?

Also, can anyone recommend any good lunch spots in Bodega Bay?  Nothing fancy.

It's very exciting to think that we will be that cool couple driving along the CA coast with the windows down jamming in our awesome Crown Victoria rental car.  I really hope we get a cooler car that what the email states!!  Only good thing is that other drivers may mistaken us as a cop car and be nice to us on the roads

2011-07-25 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3613435

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
neweyes - 2011-07-25 12:22 PM
runnergirl - 2011-07-25 11:37 AM
runrgrlshubby - 2011-07-25 11:28 AM
neweyes - 2011-07-25 10:23 AM

runrgrlshubby - 2011-07-25 8:02 AM Race numbers have been assigned and are posted on the website!.....193

Awesome, I'm 192. Any other BTers in sequence?

Hmm... looks like race numbers were assigned by age, except the first few men. Weird.

Runrgrlshubby -- you just became the competition. Watch your back during those "friendly" BT gatherings....

Looks like someone isn't going to get sprayed by the super soaker

Or get vasoline for chaffed nipples

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take it back!

Our training paces and volumes do look similar though, except that you're a faster swimmer.... I'll be looking for you out there.....

Yeah I noticed that....you can have vasoline...but only for one nipple

2011-07-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3613586

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
runnergirl - 2011-07-25 12:19 PM

It's very exciting to think that we will be that cool couple driving along the CA coast with the windows down jamming in our awesome Crown Victoria rental car.  I really hope we get a cooler car that what the email states!!  Only good thing is that other drivers may mistaken us as a cop car and be nice to us on the roads

I'd drive a Crown Vic in a heartbeat!  (We had a Crown Vic wagon when the kids were small, and an '89 Town Car a few years back.  Lots of headlight dipping since from the front, you couldn't tell it was a wagon instead of a Highway Patrol car)  When we brought the Town Car home, my oldest son stated "I'll walk before I drive that thing!" But once he drove it, he decided the "pimpmobile" was actually a pretty sweet ride. 

2011-07-25 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3613506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Baowolf - 2011-07-25 9:47 AM I'm 536 and shooting for 11:59:59.  Probably 1:25 swim, 6:15 bike, 4:00 run (T1+T2 = 10 min ish) with a little slush time in there.  So hoping for a 16 min PR over last Vineman.  Goals are fun, but race day is race day, wind, heat, stuff.... just keep puting 1 foot in front of the other until someone hands you a cold beer.  

I like that! What more motivation is necessary?!

QUESTION: Does anyone know about the rules about a non-participant  biking the run course?  I have a friend who is going to be out there and wondered if that would disqualify me.  Anyone know?  

2011-07-25 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3613883

User image

Master
San Francisco
ecpasos - 2011-07-25 12:24 PM

QUESTION: Does anyone know about the rules about a non-participant  biking the run course?  I have a friend who is going to be out there and wondered if that would disqualify me.  Anyone know?  

Hard to know for sure, but the roads are open to traffic.  So they couldn't stop a car and theoretically a bike from being on an open road.  If he did offer you aid/assistance in some way, that would be another story.  They do, of course, ask to not have spectators drive on the course.  

From the vineman website below:

10. The roads are open to traffic. Ride on the right hand side of the road unless instructed otherwise by a police officer of a race official. For the safety of you, the athlete, we ask that spectators not drive the coursewhile the race is in progress.

2011-07-25 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3613919

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
enginerd - 2011-07-25 12:43 PM

Hard to know for sure, but the roads are open to traffic.  So they couldn't stop a car and theoretically a bike from being on an open road.  If he did offer you aid/assistance in some way, that would be another story.  They do, of course, ask to not have spectators drive on the course.  

10. The roads are open to traffic. Ride on the right hand side of the road unless instructed otherwise by a police officer of a race official. For the safety of you, the athlete, we ask that spectators not drive the coursewhile the race is in progress.

Thanks!

2011-07-25 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3613586

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
runnergirl - 2011-07-25 10:19 AM

Also, can anyone recommend any good lunch spots in Bodega Bay?  Nothing fancy.

There is this place right when you come into town called the "Dog House" that has hot-dogs, burgers and fries that is kind of a tradition for our family. No, not fish and stuff from the ocean but there is an ice cream shop/coffee shop next door which completes the stop. (537 Hwy 1)

If you want to eat from the sea, there is an everything from from Tides Warf & Restaurant which is pretty normal/predictable to others like Boat House which have quite a bit of character.

2011-07-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3613883

User image

Regular
Tahoe City, CA

I've done Barb's race a couple times and the first time I did it my husband was on the run course with his bike. He wasn't giving any aid. He was simply taking photos and talked to me for a few minutes. The course official gave him (and me) a warning about pacing. They are definitely out there and watching.... even slowpokes like me.
#909... See you guys on race day!!
2011-07-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3613933

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
ecpasos - 2011-07-25 2:49 PM
enginerd - 2011-07-25 12:43 PM

Thanks!

Most races have a general prohibition about "outside assistance" which would include getting aid from a spectator (technically includes getting aid from another participant, but they usually don't call that).  Aid could be providing you with food/drink, emergency gear (tube, or shoelace), taking things from you, or pacing you.  Tell your friend he can't ride along side you nor can he provide you with splits (imagine your friend riding a mile up the road and then telling you "you ran that mile in 8:47")  without risking a penalty/DQ for you. 

2011-07-25 4:29 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hehe my wife on her mountain bike would definately be more precise in helping me pace than my garmin will be (where is that sarcasm font).

Hrm things to remember to not forget: clip your tonails (the ones you don't want to turn black) remember sun tan lotion, bike pump, bike, shoes, socks, goggles, race belt, tri top and bottom.... GU and Infinit as well as an aero bottle to put them in.  Everyone have their elastic laces adjusted in the special pair of shoes?  I just picked out my shoes from the pile this morning, they are the newest in the 4 pair rotation, but probably have 75 miles on them. 

My wife just loaded some maps onto her new Kindle or whatever it is.  I thought that was a cool idea, including the race map.  I am hoping that my energy level starts picking up soon.  With my taper at a 45 degree angle on my workout graph my body ought to be catching up any time now. 

Even if there were not any overcast in the morning the river is only  um 70 feet wide with trees, so you shouldn't have any direct sun to worry about as far as picking out goggles goes.      

2011-07-25 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
My energy levels has also taken a bit of a drop these last 2 weeks!! I have a bit of sinus stuff going on too!! Yuk! Just trying to take it easy this week again. I did a 5 mile run this AM and am planning on a short swim and possibly a short bike tomorrow! Mitch and I are planning on getting there early Thursday afternoon and definitely would love to meet up with some fellow BT'ers!! I am race #598
2011-07-25 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3614193

User image

Extreme Veteran

Baowolf - 2011-07-25 5:29 PM

I am hoping that my energy level starts picking up soon.  With my taper at a 45 degree angle on my workout graph my body ought to be catching up any time now. 

I'm glad to hear someone else feeling this way. I was just telling my girlfriend this morning that I expected to feel fresher by this point, but my legs still feel heavy... just waiting.... and repeating, "trust the plan, trust the plan, trust the plan....."

It's been a long time since I've ridden in mid-50 temps. Am I really going to want arm warmers? I generally like to dress a little on the cool side, but I'd hate to be uncomfortably cold, and mid-50s is pretty cold for biking. I suppose I should just make some as Abbie suggests and I can ditch them early if I'm not digging them. Maybe a pair of throw away pair of gloves too?

Anyone get the sense that a bunch of us are more interested in the race than work today? Embarassed

2011-07-25 5:55 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Here is a rough hourly forecast based on Wednesday's high of 87 (Saturday is sitting at 88). This is what I'm basing my riding conditions on:

8 AM Fog 56° 2 mph S 88%
9 AM Sunny 61° 8 mph SSW 78%
10 AM Sunny 67° 8 mph SSW 65%
11 AM Sunny 73° 8 mph SSW 54%
12 PM Sunny 78° 8 mph SSW 46%
1 PM Sunny 82° 8 mph SSW 40%
2 PM Sunny 85° 8 mph SSW 36%

I've never raced in anything other than tri top and tri shorts but me thinks this will be different. At this point I'm going to change into bibs and cycling jersey. I'm more acclimated to the cold than heat so upper 50's doesn't bother me. Most of the ride looks to be pretty comfortable temp-wise.

For run, I'm changing into light compression shorts (Nike Pro), running shorts, and tri-top. Still haven't decided on running shoes. I've been going back and forth for the last week between Pearl Izumi Pro Transitions (light, very comfortable, good drainage) and Asics GT2155 (more stability and cushioning). The Asics have no drainage and in Hawaii they filled with water (from all the water and ice I dumped trying to keep cool) and the squish, squish drove me nuts. I'm leaning towards the PI's even though I'd never run a stand alone marathon in them under normal conditions because of the lack of cushioning but I plan on running (shuffling) a few minutes per mile slower than normal.

Edited by popsracer 2011-07-25 5:56 PM
2011-07-25 6:08 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I think we will warm up pretty quickly on the bike once dry.  You get a nice adrenalin rush finishing the swim and blitsing through T1, running up the hill and getting on the bike.  There is some tree cover in those first miles, but I can't remember feeling cold for long.  I'll just be in my 2 piece tri suit all day.  Besides I swim so slowly that it will likely be warm by the time I get out 8).   

2011-07-25 6:21 PM

User image

Elite
Denver
Bib #141 here.

Ready to Rocknroll!!

2011-07-25 6:37 PM

Bib #614 for me.

I'm really looking to just finishing this one.  I'm going to swim in a sleeveless, wear actual bike shorts instead of tri shorts for the ride and switch to actual running shorts for the marathon.  Sure,  this really digs into my transition times but I think it'll work out for me in the long run.  I've used tri shorts for 70.3s but they just aren't comfortable enough for me for distances over 70 or 80 miles.  

It's been mighty cool here in Portland all spring and summer so even temps in the 80s are gonna suck.  Planning on keeping well hydrated throughout the day.  Also bringing salt tabs on the bike and run.  Salt tabs have saved the day for me a couple of times while doing the Davis Double Century in (for me) extreme heat (100s) and they can't hurt with temps forcast for the high 80s.

Best of luck to all of you.  Be safe and have fun!

2011-07-25 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3614233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
neweyes - 2011-07-25 3:02 PM

Baowolf - 2011-07-25 5:29 PM

I am hoping that my energy level starts picking up soon.  With my taper at a 45 degree angle on my workout graph my body ought to be catching up any time now. 

I'm glad to hear someone else feeling this way. I was just telling my girlfriend this morning that I expected to feel fresher by this point, but my legs still feel heavy... just waiting.... and repeating, "trust the plan, trust the plan, trust the plan....."

It's been a long time since I've ridden in mid-50 temps. Am I really going to want arm warmers? I generally like to dress a little on the cool side, but I'd hate to be uncomfortably cold, and mid-50s is pretty cold for biking. I suppose I should just make some as Abbie suggests and I can ditch them early if I'm not digging them. Maybe a pair of throw away pair of gloves too?

Anyone get the sense that a bunch of us are more interested in the race than work today? Embarassed

HAHA... YES!  And I think the tube socks idea is awesome.  You'll probably see me with some on

2011-07-25 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3613515

User image

Pro
NorCal

popsracer - 2011-07-25 9:50 AM #662. Whew, I did not want to be 666. I was debating between clear and tinted goggles as I wasn't sure how the morning sun would present itself but with the morning fog looks like clear, right? I guess I'll add my game paln. One and only goal is to finish within the time allowed. This was kind of a last minute thing and actually just getting myself in a position to get to the starting line with a good shot at finishing has been a tremendous reward. I really feel good right now and am enjoying and appreciating the fitness I've gained. I'm shooting for a swim of 1:30 to 1:40, bike of 6:30 so off the bike between 8:15 to 8:30. From there, I'll just have to see. My initial plan will be to cover each length (4.33 miles) of the run in one hour. That's just under a 14 minute mile or about a 6 hour run. Gets me in at 14:30. And with that I would be greatly pleased.

I WAS #666 last year!!!  I was very popular on the race course, people kept calling me "devil", nice

I decided to drop to down and do Barb's Race.  Looking forward to seeing you all at the Finish line!

2011-07-25 8:08 PM

I haven't chimed in yet, but I have returned from Zombie land. I got Bib #523 my name is Gary. Training went well for me. I was able to handle loads of volume with out any big injuries. Had my share of pains and a couple saddle sores named thing one and thing two. My hat goes off to those of you who took on this challenge with small children, those of you who managed to continue on after injuries, I'm sure most of us overcame many challenges to get this far. I will be rolling in Friday straight to the expo. Not sure which meeting I will make but would like to meet as many of you as possible. Be safe out there

2011-07-25 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3614447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I'm #484. 1st IM so I just want to "go the distance", like Rocky said. That's been my personal war cry since I started this crazy adventure! So Michael should we meet up at Johnson's beach at a certain time Thurs afternoon?
2011-07-25 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3614484

User image

Extreme Veteran
ecpasos - 2011-07-25 9:52 PMI'm #484. 1st IM so I just want to "go the distance", like Rocky said. That's been my personal war cry since I started this crazy adventure! So Michael should we meet up at Johnson's beach at a certain time Thurs afternoon?

Yeah, let's stick with 1:30 at Johnson's beach for anyone that wants to meetup to drive the courses, 3:30 at Johnson's beach for a peak at T1 and a taste of the river (I'm planning a 30min easy swim), and 5:00 at Sushi Tozai in Sebastapol for dinner... They're expecting us; the more the merrier.

At some point we should take a wide angle picture and get our mugs on the BT homepage.

2011-07-25 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3614525

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
neweyes - 2011-07-25 10:28 PM
ecpasos - 2011-07-25 9:52 PMI'm #484. 1st IM so I just want to "go the distance", like Rocky said. That's been my personal war cry since I started this crazy adventure! So Michael should we meet up at Johnson's beach at a certain time Thurs afternoon?

Yeah, let's stick with 1:30 at Johnson's beach for anyone that wants to meetup to drive the courses, 3:30 at Johnson's beach for a peak at T1 and a taste of the river (I'm planning a 30min easy swim), and 5:00 at Sushi Tozai in Sebastapol for dinner... They're expecting us; the more the merrier.

At some point we should take a wide angle picture and get our mugs on the BT homepage.

Sounds good! Runnergirl and I will be looking forward to it!!!

2011-07-25 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3614525

User image

Elite
Denver
neweyes - 2011-07-25 8:28 PM

I won't be there in time to mt for the course drive, but should be there in time for the swim and possibly sushi afterwards!

I dunno if I lost a bet or whatever, but apparently I'm wearing a tribal pattern speedo for the swim practice, so I should be easy to spot.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18