General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-04 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns
I've been ramping up my running as part of a 1/2 marathon training plan. On my last few runs, I've had a noticeable feeling where my legs want to go faster, but I don't since I'm thinking I want to keep whatever pace I'm at and for fear of running out of gas later in the run. What is the cause of this? Anyone know? And should I try to go faster? What is the strategy here?

My 1/2 mary race goal is to finish, feel good about the race, and hopefully break 2:00:00. I've finished all the distances on my runs, and when I do finish, I sometimes think I could go at a somewhat faster pace. So for training, do I just ignore the legs feeling, and keep my pace? This seems to be a mental training issue, and I'm not sure which way to go. Thanks,

2011-01-04 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3275930

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns

I'd listen to your body and your plan.  Your following a plan right?  I would not run every run easy but I also don't want every run feeling hard.  For me my shorter runs are typically done at a much faster pace then my longer runs, especially right now since I am just starting to throw the long runs back in.  I simply can do them at a faster pace without my HR going haywire and still finish them strong, but I do not have the legs to do that yet on the longer runs.  So, if you have the legs for it and your not putting yourself in a red zone, by all means run faster.  That's what we train for.

2011-01-04 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns

Mike_D - 2011-01-04 7:34 AM I've been ramping up my running as part of a 1/2 marathon training plan. On my last few runs, I've had a noticeable feeling where my legs want to go faster, but I don't since I'm thinking I want to keep whatever pace I'm at and for fear of running out of gas later in the run. What is the cause of this? Anyone know? And should I try to go faster? What is the strategy here?

My 1/2 mary race goal is to finish, feel good about the race, and hopefully break 2:00:00. I've finished all the distances on my runs, and when I do finish, I sometimes think I could go at a somewhat faster pace. So for training, do I just ignore the legs feeling, and keep my pace? This seems to be a mental training issue, and I'm not sure which way to go. Thanks,

My general rule is don't let your body outthink you mind.  What is the benefit of running faster in any one training run?  Not much ... but the risk, particularly for someone ramping up volume, is significant.

2011-01-04 7:17 AM

User image

Runner
Go faster. See what happens.

Why is everyone so afraid of "failing" a training run? It's practice. You are SUPPOSED to fail in practice. Screwing up in training means you are less likely to screw up when it counts in a race. Because you've already been there and know what to expect.

What is the absolute worst thing that could happen? You get injured and have to take some time off. Well, guess what? You have now learned that you shouldn't be doing what you were doing, and you will be better for it. I have learned far more from all the times I've blown up on a run, or gotten an injury, than I ever did in all the training where nothing happened.

Just run, baby. It ain't any harder than that.

ETA: This is why I monitor effort, not speed. If you are going "faster", who cares, as long as it's still easy, or hard, or whatever the run is supposed to be that day.

Edited by Scout7 2011-01-04 7:18 AM
2011-01-04 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3275986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
The best workout is not the hardest workout.  The best workout is the easiest workout that brings about the desired adaptations.

You should almost always be physically capable of exceeding the paces in your training runs. You should rarely do so.
2011-01-04 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Mike_D - 2011-01-04 6:34 AM

I've been ramping up my running as part of a 1/2 marathon training plan. On my last few runs, I've had a noticeable feeling where my legs want to go faster, but I don't since I'm thinking I want to keep whatever pace I'm at and for fear of running out of gas later in the run. What is the cause of this? Anyone know? And should I try to go faster? What is the strategy here?

The longer the distance... the more mentally challenging I find it. Why? Because I have to HOLD BACK. I keep a check on my Garmin and when I see I am running too fast... I have to slow down. That's the hardest part of doing longer distances, in my opinion. It's take a lot of patience to keep it slow when you want to go fast (knowing you can't keep that pace for the whole distance and you will break down at the end).

2011-01-04 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
MA
How & when have you determined how fast you should be running?

If you tested and set either HR or pace zones, and have been using one of those it could be your fitness has improved and you should retest.
2011-01-04 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Sometimes I do sometimes I don't.  Depends on what is on tap for the next day.  If my legs are saying 'go hard' and doing so isn't going to wreck a key workout tomorrow, then yes, I go ahead and go hard.  But if I've got, say, a long hard run planned tomorrow, then I save it and go easy even if my legs are telling me that they are ready to go hard.

I'm with Scout -- if I've decided to go ahead and go hard, the last thing I worry about is failing, nor does the fear of failing play a role in my decision.  In fact, failing is very instructive.  I've gone out too hard in a long run before and had to back off at the end.  I learn a lot more from those runs than I do from the ones where everything goes as expected.
2011-01-04 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3276159

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
KathyG - 2011-01-04 9:26 AM How & when have you determined how fast you should be running?

If you tested and set either HR or pace zones, and have been using one of those it could be your fitness has improved and you should retest.

x2
2011-01-04 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
As Scout said, if you run by effort, then there is nothing to talk about.
2011-01-04 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
I would consider adding a weekly speed work session, if you aren't doing one already.  If you are less than 6 weeks out from your race I would wait until after...  I would also start with minimal total distance.  I recommend the book "Daniels Running Formula" by Jack Daniels.  I had to read it 3 times before it really sank in but it changed the way I train forever.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns Rss Feed