General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin pain - would you run today? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-04 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Shin pain - would you run today?
So, it's not so much pain as mild discomfort.  I've never had shin splints before, so I have no idea if this is an early warning sign.  Basically, I have discomfort on the shin of my left leg while walking around the house.  I figure I probably can still run, but I don't want to make it worse if it's a problem.  I could postpone or cancel the run and swim laps today instead.

What would you do?  Start running and stop if it gets worse?  Don't run, just in case?  Rush to emergency and demand to be seen immediately?  Is this something I should plan to get in to see my doctor, or can I wait and see for a few days?

2011-01-04 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3276265

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Shin pain - would you run today?
I would run, but I run every day and often have a variety of aches and pains. What you should do can't be determined based on the limited information available.
2011-01-04 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
You just raced, i'd warm it up before you run (shower, bath, soak, etc), go run EASY and then ice afterwards. if it keeps up for more than a day or so then i'd start to worry/pay a bit more attention
2011-01-04 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
Shin Splints AHHHHH I have been dealing with them for the past two years. They got so bad I went to and orthopedic doctor just a few weeks ago and he took x-rays and then I got an MRI. I had a minor stress fracture in my left shin.

I have determined that my running style in which I was taking very long strides and therefore I was putting on the brakes every time my foot came down was a major issue. In addition if you run on the road the cantor in the road makes the left side lower than the right and that could also be an issue.

I would first evaluate your running technique and also where you are running. Check the slope or crown and make sure you are not always running with the left foot side lower than the right. I was shut down for 6 weeks and I was just given the OK to start again. I am now running a mile every other night and was told to increase it by 1/4 a mile a week if I am pain free. I plan on increasing it to 1/2 mile if I am pain free. The doctor also gave me orthodics to put in my sneeks.

So far after 4 runs I am pain free. If you do have pain I would apply ice  (RICE) I also use compression sleeves which for me have helped out a lot. Good Luck
2011-01-04 10:43 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
I have to sort of agree/disagree with the above posts.  I'm pretty much a model for what not to do if you don't want shin splints....or should I say I used to be.  Haven't had a problem in about a year now.  Nock Nock Nock.

If this is the first day it has come up, I would ice it tonight, massage out the muscle in that leg and see how it feels tomorrow.  If you run and the soundtrack from flashdance comes on your ipod and you decide now is a good time to sprint down the mountain, you will be a very sorry camper.  This is not the time of year to be playing with a pain you've never had before.

Also!  How old are your shoes?  Does it hurt more when walking down/up stairs?  If you jump up and down landing on your toes, does that increase the discomfort?

If you answered yes to either of those last two questions, I would do what I said and wait until tomorrow.
2011-01-04 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Well, you do need to listen to your body.  However, if I stopped running every time I felt a pain, then I'd never run.

So, here's what I do.  I rate the pain on a scale of 1 to 10.
0 = no pain
1 = just noticeable
2= a little pain
3-5 starting to hurt
6 = starting to limp
7= , this is not good, hurtin'  stop running... unless I need to get home.
8= more curse words
9-10 = I've damaged myself in some nasty way

So, if the pain is a 1-2, I usually go out for a run, and take it easy, trying to work through the pain and be conscious as to how it feels.  If by the end of the run, the pain is pushing through 5-6, then I'm probably taking a day or two off. 

Treadmills are good for this kind of thing, as you don't find yourself 5 miles from home when the pain gets to a warning level. 

for your case- I'd warm it up, stretch it out, and try an easy run.  Sometimes just keeping it moving is the best treatment.  But, your body will tell you if that was the right choice or not.

2011-01-04 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm still a pretty new runner, so I don't have a lot to compare it to.  In fact the only other time that I had non-normal pain (as opposed to muscle soreness and such) was shortly after I started running.  I ran anyways, and messed my knee up.  It was a solid month before I could start again.  If I had more experience, I'd probably be able to assess it better, but I'd rather be cautious then cause an injury that gets worse.

I decided to switch tomorrow's swim with today's run, so I just got back from swimming laps.  Then tomorrow, I'll try an easy run as long as it's no worse, and hopefully better.

I hadn't even considered the fact that I just raced (duh!).  I figured I hadn't increased running volume, but I did push myself hard on Friday, so that could be a factor.

As for jumping up and down or going up and down stairs, it hurts more then staying still, but not much more then walking quickly.

Although, I might need to start thinking about the shoes.  I was hoping they could last longer since I just spent so much money on a bike and accessories, but I'm figuring they have about 500km (310mi) on them now.  I guess they could be entering the time period where I need to consider new ones, hey?

I'm just hoping that mild shin pain can be normal and not always turn into something worse...
2011-01-04 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3276846

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
_Deb_ - 2011-01-04 12:42 PM
Although, I might need to start thinking about the shoes.  I was hoping they could last longer since I just spent so much money on a bike and accessories, but I'm figuring they have about 500km (310mi) on them now.  I guess they could be entering the time period where I need to consider new ones, hey?

That was my first thought when I read your original post.  300 miles is about as much as I usually get on a pair of shoes.  Some people can get more, but if you are having pain, I think it's time to replace them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin pain - would you run today? Rss Feed