General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I would trade 2 resolutionists for 1 weight room knuckleheads Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-04 3:00 PM

Subject: I would trade 2 resolutionists for 1 weight room knuckleheads
I've been reading a lot about the resolutionists the last couple of days.  Many positive posts about the new guys and how we should be welcoming to them.  I agree.  Last night I expect was one of the busier nights of the year.  Parking lot had at least 50% more cars than usual.

Saw quite a few new people on the treadmills when I first came in.  One of the few times I've seen all the machines in use.  At least half were empty 30 minutes later when I finished lifting and started to run.

Those 30 minutes were spent wondering how the guys that primarily lift weights and have been regulars for years could be so inconsiderate.  There was a towel draped on almost every machine and no one in sight.  I saw one guy "reserve" on of the three flat benches for a full 45 minutes.  He was doing a five maching circuit with two minute rest breaks between each exercise to chat.  Personal belongings on all 5 machines the whole time.  An amazing amount of duffle bags, guys making protien shakes on the floor, protien bars and gallons of water sitting on the machines next to the ones they were using, etc.

Wife came out of the pool early due to a large number of people just walking around the end of the lanes and a couple young couples cuddling in the middle of the pool.

Just an all around mess.

I love the resolutionists.  They are on the nautilus machines I don't use, don't know anyone to spend five minutes talking to between sets, no loud yelling and slamming weights, always less than 30 minutes on a treadmill, less than 10 minutes swimming laps.

I would be happy to trade them two for one.

Edited by dannynoonan 2011-01-04 3:04 PM

2011-01-04 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3277477

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: I would trade 2 resolutionists for 1 weight room knuckleheads
I hate meatheads.
2011-01-04 3:08 PM

I forgot to write down the things I like about the meat heads.

How they spend so much time on their outfits.  Several layers of tank tops they have cut down to strings and the giant baggy shorts.

I also like how they walk to the drinking fountian all flexed up like they somebody is going to try to tackle them any second.

2011-01-04 3:12 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Sounds like your gym needs more (or better) supervisory staff.
2011-01-04 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3277509

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I've avoided the weight room until recently, but I am grossed out for the most part.

2011-01-04 3:16 PM

User image

When I see a towel drapped over equipment...that doesn't mean it's reserved.  To me, that's a sign that you should ask that person if you want to work in with them.  And the answer should always be yes.

Personally...I think people take too much offense when equipment is reserved.  Just politely ask the person if you can work some sets in with them while they are not using it.  People simply assume that these guys are "meatheads".  Most of them are actually regular people that are fairly nice. 

To me...it's no different than someone swimming by themselves in the middle of the lane in a pool.  Just because they aren't circling by themselves, or swimming on one side...doesn't mean they aren't willing to share the lane with you if you politely ask.

I agree though that cardio equipment should never be reserved.  It's not the type of equipment that can be shared.

2011-01-04 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3277509

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
the bear - 2011-01-04 3:12 PM Sounds like your gym needs more (or better) supervisory staff.

Agree - especially on the lap pool issue.
I think I have my lifeguards trained. Last night all lanes were full but one where there were 2 kiddos messing around (clearly against the rues - it's a 16-year-old-and-up pool). One look at the lifeguard from me and he whistled at them to get out.

Now get off my lawn

2011-01-04 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3277496

User image

Runner
dannynoonan - 2011-01-04 4:08 PM

I forgot to write down the things I like about the meat heads.

How they spend so much time on their outfits.  Several layers of tank tops they have cut down to strings and the giant baggy shorts.

You should do a search for all the clothing-related threads. Then talk about spending time obsessing over outfits.
2011-01-04 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3277520

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
tri808 - 2011-01-04 1:16 PM

When I see a towel drapped over equipment...that doesn't mean it's reserved.  To me, that's a sign that you should ask that person if you want to work in with them.  And the answer should always be yes.

Personally...I think people take too much offense when equipment is reserved.  Just politely ask the person if you can work some sets in with them while they are not using it.  People simply assume that these guys are "meatheads".  Most of them are actually regular people that are fairly nice. 

To me...it's no different than someone swimming by themselves in the middle of the lane in a pool.  Just because they aren't circling by themselves, or swimming on one side...doesn't mean they aren't willing to share the lane with you if you politely ask.

I agree though that cardio equipment should never be reserved.  It's not the type of equipment that can be shared.

agreed and well said. I used to be pretty heavily into weight lifting, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get a nice outfit which some of the people were talking about a few posts up. Whenever I lifted I would always love for people to ask to work in because it made the time in the gym more pleasant. No exhaustive conversations or anything, but just getting to know other people that are around the gym is a great feeling.
2011-01-04 4:01 PM

User image

Bronze member
Didn't look that different at the Y for me today although I don't go in the weight/cardio room. There were a few more people at water aerobics but no new swimmers. Probably the time of day though. I'm working out at 9:00 when most people are at work.
I wonder what the meatheads write about the cardio junkies
2011-01-04 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
dannynoonan - 2011-01-04 2:00 PMI've been reading a lot about the resolutionists the last couple of days.  Many positive posts about the new guys and how we should be welcoming to them.  I agree.  Last night I expect was one of the busier nights of the year.  Parking lot had at least 50% more cars than usual.

Saw quite a few new people on the treadmills when I first came in.  One of the few times I've seen all the machines in use.  At least half were empty 30 minutes later when I finished lifting and started to run.

Those 30 minutes were spent wondering how the guys that primarily lift weights and have been regulars for years could be so inconsiderate.  There was a towel draped on almost every machine and no one in sight.  I saw one guy "reserve" on of the three flat benches for a full 45 minutes.  He was doing a five maching circuit with two minute rest breaks between each exercise to chat.  Personal belongings on all 5 machines the whole time.  An amazing amount of duffle bags, guys making protien shakes on the floor, protien bars and gallons of water sitting on the machines next to the ones they were using, etc.

Wife came out of the pool early due to a large number of people just walking around the end of the lanes and a couple young couples cuddling in the middle of the pool.

Just an all around mess.

I love the resolutionists.  They are on the nautilus machines I don't use, don't know anyone to spend five minutes talking to between sets, no loud yelling and slamming weights, always less than 30 minutes on a treadmill, less than 10 minutes swimming laps.

I would be happy to trade them two for one.
As a former meathead and someone who still enjoys throwing weights around, I cam say that the dude doing circuit training was likely annoying the meatheads as well. Reserving a machine so you can do circuit is laughable. It wont kill a workout to wait a minute for equipment.

2011-01-04 4:27 PM

User image

Regular
Frisco, TX
You could do like I did recently and just call the guys out on it.  My gym has one squat rack and we had a guy that would "reserve" it and walk around the gym strutting his stuff.  I waited about 2 minutes and didn't see anyone.  I moved all of this stuff to the side, changed the weights, and started working out.   He comes running over and my response was "there's limited equipment in the gym and some of us are here to use it".  He grabbed his stuff and walked away , but several people nearby came over afterward to voice their approval.  Haven't seen him at the gym since.  

Bad attitude on my part?  Possibly, but I think inconsiderate people or "obliviots" as I like to call them should be made aware of their actions.  

Of course, do this when there are plenty of other people around so you don't get your a** kicked.

Edited by TXTriNewbie 2011-01-04 4:34 PM
2011-01-04 4:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have been pleasently surprised since joining the Y in November. The pool always has space when it should have open laps (always at least 1 lap lane open except during swim team lessons), the cardio equipment is plentiful and people always clean it off. the weight room, though I have not spent much time there, is organized and people tend not to reserve equipment. there is usually several people in a group and they either move as a group from bench to bench or they all spread out to 4-5 different machines and rotate but there has always been room to slip in for a few sets.

When I was a member at LA fitness or 24 hour fitness before I saw TONS of those crazy weightlifters though and some were nice, many were inconsiderate dolts who thought the gym only existed to give them a place to show off - it was horrible at times. Heck I would rather a gym full of high school guys/girls working out than those guys.
2011-01-04 5:00 PM

New user
Boulder, CO
I just changed gyms this week.  I moved from one that was next to my house to one that is in my office building.  Now I look like a resolutionsit, stumbling through the halls in a speedo looking for the pool, not knowing how to lock the lockers, forgetting where my locker was, etc.

At least I look good wondering around in my speedo Surprised
2011-01-04 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Used to be a "meathead" bodybuilder type, but none of the guys I trained with were rude. We always let people jump in and get a set. Like Bear said, your gym needs some supervision. With the number of people that go through my gym it would be mayhem if people generally didn't adhere to the rules. and basic gym etiquette. Usually, the meatheads know the rules, the resolutionists don't. Don't be intimidated by a guy/gal with big muscles.

With that said, we have our share of idiots who choose to act ridiculous and suffer from some muscular condition that makes their arms stick out.

2011-01-04 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
As a former meathead, sometimes current, and a mod of a fitness forum I'll say there are as many misconceptions about triathletes as there are about meatheads.  First if you ask to work in normally it isn't an issue.  Secondly it makes you more approachable for those who need spots and more likely to get one if you ever need one.  Finally meatheads are pretty much the same as you with a different fitness focus.  For those of you who are new to the free weight section it's much like going out on your first group ride.  Hang back and learn the etiquette first and then become part of the pack.

2011-01-04 8:10 PM

I don't like to wait around for 5-10 minutes to see who all the towels, duffle bags, protien bars ,etc sitting on the weight bench belong to. If you are leaving a piece of equipment for more than a minute or two, you should be taking your belongings with you. Get set up again when you are ready to do your next set in 10 minutes. I do often track down the owners. Generally I just move their stuff to the ground and start changing the weights. They run over to tell me they are on the equipment. A friendly "mind if I work in" gets a mixed response. Sometimes a friendly yes, sometimes a not friendly yes, and sometimes they just say "Ive only got x sets left. In that case I will tell them "are you going to do them now, or should I do a couple while you rest?"I don't want my workout to be a negotiation. I do it all day at work. I feel for some other members that don't want to force the issue. My wife hates having to get these guys to pause their music so she can ask them to move their chattel. My little brother is shy and just skips machines that look taken which is a lot of them. I know you are into lifting weights big guy, but a little common courtesy would go a long way. Show me 100 anyones into something and I'll show you the five that give them all a bad name.
2011-01-04 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3277745

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
TXTriNewbie - 2011-01-04 
Of course, do this when there are plenty of other people around so you don't get your a** kicked.

Are you sure that's a problem?  If they get aggressive just run towards the pool.  Since they don't do cardio they probably can't keep up anyway. And if they can catch up with you, jump in the deep end.  All that muscle mass, they'll sink like stones if they follow you in! (Pink font probably not really needed here...)

I've only occasionally seen any of the behavior at the 'Y here, definitely not enough at the same time to screw up the circuits for everyone else.

-eric
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I would trade 2 resolutionists for 1 weight room knuckleheads Rss Feed