General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Name this hip injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-07 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Subject: Name this hip injury
I know all the running injuries, but this one is new to me. Have you had this? What did you do?

Two months ago after riding my bike on a particularly hard climb (for me) I hurt my right hip on the outside, near the tensor fascii latae. Rest, massage and stretching helped and for weeks at a time it would not bother me or only bother me for a day or two after a hard climb or hard run.

Last week-end I did a fabulous job climbing a huge hill during a triathlon - standing in the pedals, making good time, really mashing up the hill. But then I had nothing left for the run. My right hip hurt with every footfall. (I ran it anyway, just in cruddy time.) I've spent the past week icing it, resting it (except for swimming, which doesn't hurt it) and still it hurts every time I walk up a stair, especially if I'm carrying something (like a kid.) :-( Sometimes it just hurts when I'm sitting still.

It no longer seems limited to the band on the outside of the hip, now it hurts in the front and rear of the hipbone where the hip abductor and sartorius attach (I think). In fact, grabbing my hipbone with my hand and supporting that area as I walk appears to help. It is stiff and sore after being seated and gets better if I stroll around a bit. Ibuprofin helps. Crossing my leg and jutting out my hip is terribly painful.

Is there something else I ought to be doing besides icing, stretching, resting and putting Icy Hot on it at night? I'm doing all the iliotibial band and hip flexor stretches.

My HMO considers me to be in fabulous shape and isn't interested in hearing about how I'd rather be able to run farther/faster. I also believe the Yiddish saying "God heals and doctors send the bills" so I haven't attempted to go pay someone to tell me to rest this, even assuming I was able to find anyone. But is there something I'm missing? This injury isn't in any of my running books. It does not feel like DOMS, it does not throb at night like tendonitis, it mostly feels like plantar fasciitis or a torn muscle.

Does this sound like something you've had experience with? Can you tell me what worked and/or didn't work for you?

I'm prepaid for a Firm race on August 28 (four weeks after the re-injury.) Any suggestions on how to deal with that?  I haven't run or cycled in a week and the inactivity is nearly killing me.  (Thank God for swimming!)

Gwendal

2005-08-07 5:09 PM
in reply to: #218668

User image

Regular
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Name this hip injury
I would say to really reconsider doing this race. You probably dont want to hear it, but what if it costs you more than you think(your ability to ever compete at full throttle) with an unknown like that i wouldnt chance it. So if you dint race you could take some time off or at the very least do easier workouts. On the other hand if your really must compete I would say to take Aleve (naproxin sodium) because it always got me through, and only take it on or 24 hours b4 race day as to not stain your liver on meds. Take the max recommended. Anyways after medicine i would say rest a little longer before the race at least to maybe make it feel better, kindof like a mini taper.

But really for kripes sake go see a doctor.Youll be glad you did.

Edited by uwmswimr 2005-08-07 5:10 PM
2005-08-07 11:18 PM

Expert
Brisbane
Not sure what its called but I have suffered a similar fate for the past few years with hip stiffness and soreness after being seated. My injury at times after being seated for a while locks ever so slightly causing an electric shock sensation. At times pretty painful. i have done all the usual things you mentioned, but did find that ART (Active Release Therapy works) Look it up on the web for a practioner near you. It does take quite a few sessions and you need to continue to stretch. If it is what I have you are still able to compete but it takes time to get it right and build strength into the right muscle/s. It has frustrated the *&^% out of me for a while, and I am lazy with the stretching, but when I do do it with the therapy I get good results. It could also be a lower back issue that contributes to it also, even though you feel fine in that area. I must mention I did develop this issue after spending 3 months mountain bike instructing at a summer camp riding 4-5 hours a day 5-6 days a week. Maybe that had something to do with it. Good luck with it. Maybe you can better diagnose my injury.

Shaun

2005-08-08 11:26 AM

Master
Boston
Gwendal- you should ask Sue7013 - she's had a fractured hip and is also a sports med. orthopedic surgeon. Maybe she could help?? 
2005-08-09 12:13 AM

User image

Expert
WV
I am going to go with an injury to the lateral rotators. The possible indicator for me is the pain with hip translation and on crossing the leg. The lateral rotators are a group of six muscles that surrond the head of the femur. The assist in the action of lateral and medial rotation of the leg. I would have it checked out to make sure though. Other than rest, ice and gentle stretching, I have nothing.

Edited by Dr Hammer 2005-08-09 12:14 AM
2005-08-13 10:31 PM
in reply to: #220097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Dr Hammer - 2005-08-09 1:13 AMI am going to go with an injury to the lateral rotators. The possible indicator for me is the pain with hip translation and on crossing the leg. The lateral rotators are a group of six muscles that surrond the head of the femur. The assist in the action of lateral and medial rotation of the leg. I would have it checked out to make sure though. Other than rest, ice and gentle stretching, I have nothing.

Thanks for your help.  Ice and rest and stretching all seem to be doing their job.  It's been two weeks and I'm starting to think about getting back on it.

Gwendal

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Name this hip injury Rss Feed