Lake Grapevine Runners and Walkers
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 42s
Overall Rank = 51/369
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up and actually took a little longer getting ready than I planned. Just felt a little disorganized. But got dressed, packed a bag, ate a banana and drank some water.

Drove about 30 minutes to the event site where I met up with the gang from the office for pre-race get together and pictures.
Event warmup:

Short jog (1/4 or so) from car to Chip tent -- A little high stepping as well, nothing special
Run
  • 24m 26s
  • 3.18 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Official Distance: 3.11 miles Official Time: 24:42 Official Pace: 7:55
Garmin Distance: 3.18 miles Garmin Time: 24:16 Garmin Pace 7:40

There was not a chip start pad so all was gun time. No worries though

Had a great time with this race. I went in-- given still recovering from last week's half-- with no high expectations. Was hoping to hold an 8:30 pace for the race. Well that got blown out of the water!!! (I like that!)

Paced with a buddy from the office, figured I'd try to stay with him as long as I could. We stayed together until Dry Heave Hill, when he had just a bit more strength in his legs than me. He got me by about 10 seconds.

I feel really good about this race. I felt strong the entire time, but was definately pushing the red line. Still puzzled about why my heart rate lately has been spiking REALLY BAD at the start of the run. I don't feel like it is, but I supposedly hit 252 bpm during the first half mile. It did settle down after that and stayed where I would have expected given my perceived effort level in the mid 170's. So I'm puzzled by this.

Handled the hills on this course pretty well. Pushed hard on the downhills to take advantage of them, and kept pushing to hold pace on the climbs. I'm pleased with that.

I'm very pleasantly suprised at how comfortable I was on this run. Was working hard but felt good.

Best Part -- BEAT MY OLD BOSS who was trying hard to catch me the last half a mile or so. Got him by about 15-20 seconds.... YES!!!
What would you do differently?:

Start a little closer to the front of the pack on this race. I purposely started a bit back in the pack because I was expecting my pace to be much slower. So I had to do a lot of weaving through runners the first half mile or so to keep moving forward.

I did start where I probably should have, so no problem there. I'll just start further forward going on. I'm sure that my start position cost me 15-30 seconds overall.

Other than that, wouldn't do much different. I would like to get a better understanding of the HR spike though. Been happening with some regularity lately, but it settles down within the first 3-5 minutes of the race. HR at start was about 75, so not overly high, and was in the 60's for most of the drive over to the event.

I'm happy

Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off, and cheered the rest of the work gang as they came in...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pack at the start. Abundance of hills. But nothing I'm worried about

Event comments:

Excellent race. Well run and a lot of fun. They also do a 15 K event at the same time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:26 | 03.18 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 48/369
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 7:31/ HR AVE 211 /HR MAX 252/Best pace - 6:42 ----- Mile 2 - 7:39/HR AVE 176/HR MAX 186/Best Pace - 6:40-----Mile 30 7:52/AVE HR 178/MAX HR /Best Pace: 7:01
Course: Basically an out and back course in Oak Grove Park in Grapevine. All Trail, so no traffic to worry about. Fairly roly-poly hills with a pretty signifiant hill (Friend calls it Dry Heave Hill -- and I agree) at mile 2.8 which hits you hard when you're driving hard for the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-08 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: Bold in the Cold

2011-01-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3286546

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Bold in the Cold

WOO HOOOOOOOO! 

Your consistency with the run this past year is really paying off!  Congrats on a great race!!!

Hardware AND beating the former boss!  What could be better?

2011-01-08 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3286546

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Bold in the Cold
Well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bold in the Cold Rss Feed