General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-08-22 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3653318

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread

Just want to congratulate everyone who was out there yesterday!

It was finally a really nice day to race. I personally loved the snow balls on the run

2011-08-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3297555

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

Great job everyone!  It was a great first HIM experience...bike was much easier than expected and the run a lot harder...I really lost it mentally after my garmin died coming out of T2 and the zipper on my jersey broke (if anyone saw a woman running in a open tri jersey with a bright lime green sport bra..that was me...tried to zap the competition by blinding them with my bone white, stretched marked belly!!)

Does anyone know if people got stuck in the storm?  we stayed 3 miles up the road and I couldn't believe the wind and rain.  I rode my bike back after they made the initial weather announcement and there were quite a few people up around the turn-around point.

Hope everyone had safe travels!

2011-08-22 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

What an experience!  For my first half ironman, it was amazing.  I had my best swim in my entire life!!!  35 minutes - I couldn't believe it.  Then at mile 3 on the bike I got a flat, which was heartbreaking enough, but to make things worse, like an idiot, I dumped my fuel bottle and lost about 800 calories of Perpetium on the ground - so the next 53 miles on the bike and the 13.1 miles of the run were soooooo painful, my body shutdown at mile 50 of the bike and it was all I could do to finish.  I CAN"T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!  I am so hooked, I love it.  I know if I didn't flat and dump my fuel, I could have saved about 20 to 30 minutes just do to the loss of performance in my body - such a scary thing to have your body shutdown like that.  I'm happy with 700th place at 5:47:xx for my first HIM.  Next year will be better.

I will say that the event is so well run, I didn't have any problems with logistics, and the number of volunteers was amazing!  Than god for the aid stations on the run.  The orange slices, water, Gatorade, and flat coke keep me moving - oh yeah, and the ice cold water sponges and towels!!!  Thank you to all the kids and adults that cheered us on for hours!!

2011-08-22 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Good race for me and my wife...I PR'ed by 12 minutes (and PR'ed all three legs by at least a minute).  A little disappointed in my run compared with where I hoped to be, but looks like I was top 10 in my AG on both run and swim (the bike we won't talk about just now...).  Chrissie wasn't at the finish line when I finished, but she was there to give my wife her medal.

First time shipping our bikes to a race...cost a fortune, but at least we didn't have to haul them around for the whole trip.  We made a point to do about everything the race weekend offered, including the Friday night dinner (got a nice picture of the two of us with Chrissie) and the Sunday night lobster feed.

I said at one point our main goal for Sunday was to finish in time to avoid the potential damaging thunderstorms:  Just made it!  Had time for my wife to eat and cool down, then pack up and drop off our bikes to the LBS's booth...the moment we made the turn out of the park onto hwy 11, the rain started.  Close!

Congrats to everyone who raced!

Edited by tcovert 2011-08-22 2:47 PM
2011-08-22 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3654147

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
tcovert - 2011-08-22 3:44 PM

Good race for me and my wife...I PR'ed by 12 minutes (and PR'ed all three legs by at least a minute).  A little disappointed in my run compared with where I hoped to be, but looks like I was top 10 in my AG on both run and swim (the bike we won't talk about just now...).  Chrissie wasn't at the finish line when I finished, but she was there to give my wife her medal.

First time shipping our bikes to a race...cost a fortune, but at least we didn't have to haul them around for the whole trip.  We made a point to do about everything the race weekend offered, including the Friday night dinner (got a nice picture of the two of us with Chrissie) and the Sunday night lobster feed.

I said at one point our main goal for Sunday was to finish in time to avoid the potential damaging thunderstorms:  Just made it!  Had time for my wife to eat and cool down, then pack up and drop off our bikes to the LBS's booth...the moment we made the turn out of the park onto hwy 11, the rain started.  Close!

Congrats to everyone who raced!

I bet that was you and your wife next to me at mc cycle truck I had the red Kuoto
2011-08-23 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
I can't wait to do it again - I thought that it would take at least 3 days before I would lose my senses and want to try it again - nope.

2011-08-23 3:02 PM

What a great weekend. Can't say enough good things about the volunteers and organizers. Big shout out to Chrissie Wellington for hanging out till the very end handing out medals and glad handing all of the vendors and support crew. For those planning on this event next year I highly reccomend the Ellacoya Barn and Grill for some super eats and cold beverages. They are located about a half mile up the hill taking a left out of the park.

2011-08-23 7:04 PM

New user

Want to do it again next month?!?  I have 2 female Pumpkinman spots available (due to a scheduling conflict, my training partner and I can't make it).  For anyone who posted a DNF because of the rain or just feels good enough to tri again!  PM me for details.  Congrats to all ironmen/women!
2011-08-24 11:37 AM

User image

Pittsburgh

I hope everyone had a great time.  This was my 2nd HIM and a great "thank you" and shout out to all the volunteers and race/promotor staff.  They sure put on a great race.  In addition, this is a great race for spectators, the support on the course was awesome.  The area is beautiful and for the most part the locals welcome the racers.

I PR'd in all three events and beat my time in Austin by 37 minutes.  The run was murder for me as I had a calf strain before the race and pulled it again coming out of the park for the 1st loop!  That caused me to walk the hills and shuffle the flats and down hills.  It was extremely painful and frustrating.  I do not even remember mile 9-12, I was just willing my legs (which were now cramping, which has never happened to me before) to keep moving. Overall, crap happens and you push through.  I finished in 6:48:XX so I was happy.  Crissie put the medal around my neck and even remembered me from the pro-panel the night before, that was real nice.

Would certainly do this race again.  Congratulations to all on your race! 

2011-08-24 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3657113

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
sunlvr71 - 2011-08-24 11:37 AM

I hope everyone had a great time.  This was my 2nd HIM and a great "thank you" and shout out to all the volunteers and race/promotor staff.  They sure put on a great race.  In addition, this is a great race for spectators, the support on the course was awesome.  The area is beautiful and for the most part the locals welcome the racers.

I PR'd in all three events and beat my time in Austin by 37 minutes.  The run was murder for me as I had a calf strain before the race and pulled it again coming out of the park for the 1st loop!  That caused me to walk the hills and shuffle the flats and down hills.  It was extremely painful and frustrating.  I do not even remember mile 9-12, I was just willing my legs (which were now cramping, which has never happened to me before) to keep moving. Overall, crap happens and you push through.  I finished in 6:48:XX so I was happy.  Crissie put the medal around my neck and even remembered me from the pro-panel the night before, that was real nice.

Would certainly do this race again.  Congratulations to all on your race! 

I think we finished within a few seconds of each other. Were you in the F40-44 age group?
2011-08-24 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3657585

User image

Pittsburgh
Yes, I was in the 40-44 age group

Edited by sunlvr71 2011-08-24 8:15 PM

2011-08-24 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3657932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY

sunlvr71 - 2011-08-24 8:11 PM Yes, I was in the 40-44 age group

Just looked at your avatar and I remember running down the finishers chute along side of you!  

2011-08-25 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3657960

User image

Pittsburgh
Congratulations on your finish!  Then I suspect that is you in the ASI photo next to me! Laughing
2011-08-25 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3658840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
sunlvr71 - 2011-08-25 10:33 AMCongratulations on your finish!  Then I suspect that is you in the ASI photo next to me! Laughing
Probably because you are in a couple of my finish line photos too lol. Congrats to you as well.
2011-08-29 10:02 AM

User image

Has anyone heard anything regarding the roll down slots? I was able to pull off 11th in my AG (30-34 male) and thinking I might have a shot... Thanks for any info!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8