General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running: Speed first or distance first Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-14 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3299728

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Running: Speed first or distance first

Cavemann - 2011-01-14 12:03 PM Thanks everyone for all the information. I would have to say that the biggest take-away from this, is the different between training at a slow pace, and easy training. I can easily do an 8:00 mile.....I can easily do a 10:00 mile for 5-6 miles. with easy training, and a 1:2:3 approach for my 3 weekly runs, that gives me some ideas and some flexibility for the type of work I can do that will help to build a more solid base. Just thinking about it, the base (foundation), just like in a building, is the most important part. Without a solid foundation to build upon, you have nothing. Once you have a foundation, the sky's the limit for the possibilities for what you build on top of it.

I am glad you've gotten what you need from this conversation, I learned some too.

I just wanted to add that training for speed, for a half marathon (or shorter), etc. is pretty different from the training required to run the leg of a half ironman for the average folk, especially a first timer.  That's a different sort of running for most people.   When you're into the training plan for the half you will have more endurance training on your schedule.  Why not add a little intensity to your training now in the off season while you can.   Good luck!

2011-01-14 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3298613

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Mostly slow.  Some fast.
2011-01-14 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
That was great Jorge.  Don't think I've seen it come across so clearly in a single post before.
2011-01-14 12:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cavemann - 2011-01-13 10:16 PM So i'm working on my HIM training, and was just wondering. I currently run a pretty consistent 10:00 mile, would it be better to build an endurance base first, or a speed base first? Basically, which would be easier, to train from the beginning at the faster pace, working up to the endurance (8-9:00), or should I train from the beginning at the 10:00 pace, and once I get a consistent long run, then work on increasing my speed, or train at the 10:00 pace and do 1 speedwork session a week?

A quick look at your logs and it seems like you are a new runner.  When I hear this question from a new runner, they moreso seem to be asking not about doing speed work, but about forcing themselves to run faster.  If this is the case, I'd follow the run lots - mostly slower - sometimes faster approach. 

What I noticed over the past 2 years is that I run my "everyday" runs at the same comfort level (rate of perceived exertion, or RPE) but I'm almost 1 minute faster per mile.  It just developed overtime, I didn't really try to get faster.

Right now, you should just build up your endurance.  An initial speed increase will happen naturally, and then you can work in speedwork next season for another boost.

Another way to look at this is that if your try to run faster without the distance base, what's gonna happen on race day when you can run 6 miles pretty quick but have to walk the last 7?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running: Speed first or distance first Rss Feed  

of 2