General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anybody ever have adductor overuse injury ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-15 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: anybody ever have adductor overuse injury ?
hi, wondering if any of you have experienced adductor overuse injury ?

I guess I should just say "groin" muscles..

Basically I started to have a problem near the end of last year's race season, and still recovering. Laid off running since December's marathon, and just cycling, and swimming right now. Doing adductor exercises to strengthen.

curious as to what others have experienced and did for recovery, and how long it took.

2011-01-15 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3301886

User image

Veteran
Alta
Subject: RE: anybody ever have adductor overuse injury ?
How high up is the site of pain? If it has been bothering you for more than 6 weeks it might not be just a muscle injury. Inguinal hernias are often thought to be a muscle issue at first. Might not be a bad idea to get it checked out, especially if the pain is high in the "groin" region.
2011-01-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3301902

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
thanks.
pretty sure it's not that. the symptoms have improved, especially with the exercises.

just slow to get back to "normal" I guess.

2011-01-15 11:48 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Yes.  Well yes to the adductor problems, not sure if it's completely due to overuse. Going through it right now, sadly... As per what I believe... it started with non-problematic groin discomfort once every so often that I didn't think anything of during long rides.... and then turned into a hamstrings (plus glutes) problem during a race... weeks to follow glutes problem went away first, then hamstrings, now I'm dealing with a straight up groin issue... I went to a physical therapist recently, just a complimentary session, and she told me it could be because of my hip misalignment... so she gave me a couple of exercises to do, and quite frankly I'm not sure if it's really helping at all, but I'm at a loss of what to do, so I feel it's all I can do...   We must have something different though, as I can't bike without discomfort either.
2011-01-16 2:58 AM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
I had a pretty bad adductor strain a few months ago, and it looks like I'll have some minor problems for a long time. I'm about 99% recovered, but occasionally I'll move in a way that reminds me that I still have that 1% that isn't quite right.

Mine was from some horseback training. We did a LOT of riding at a trot without stirrups, so I was holding on to the horse with my legs, and my adductors were so wasted after 4 days that I just couldn't hold on anymore. After slipping off the saddle to the right a couple of times, my left adductors ended up strained. I was off the bike for a week and couldn't run or swim for 6 weeks. I was able to bike a little after about 10 days, but I had to go really easy and be very concious of how I moved the affected leg.

I iced for a few days, then CAREFULLY stretched the leg once or twice a day. Most of my recovery was from just resting the muscles and tendons. It drove me nuts to sit around watching TV, but it was necessary. I think I was able to swim again after 6 weeks. I had to experiment a little, early on, to determine what I could and couldn't do; I went to the pool and made it about half-way across before I had to admit defeat for the day. A few weeks later I tried again and got about 250 yards. Once I was about 90%, I was able to start pushing a little again. The remaining stiffness I experience doesn't affect me much. It's more of a frustration than anything else.
2011-01-16 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
This may help you figure things out:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-7-adductors/

She does a great job explaining the other muscles too. 

2011-01-16 7:20 AM

Experienced the same problem late last fall while interval training.  I stopped running completely for probably a month, started hitting the gym hard with core strengthening exercises (esp abductors and adductors), did not overstretch that area and it has completely healed.  It's important not to overstretch in order to let those muscles/tendons heal.  Don't neglect the abductors, which can also help prevent ITB if you have had a problem with that.  I've learned from past experience that training through injuries almost always makes them worse.  Good luck!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anybody ever have adductor overuse injury ? Rss Feed