General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mooseman 2011 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-17 12:02 PM

User image

Subject: Mooseman 2011
Hey all!

I am all signed up and I booked my lodging, my friends and family are all coming to cheer me on! Now all I have to do is finish! This is my first half Iron and needless to say im excited/nervous. I have been able to get through oly's without too much torture, but I know I am am not at the point just yet to complete it and the following months between now and June are going to make the difference! Is there anyone out there with mooseman/half iron experience that could throw me some tips to get ready for that race, I would greatly appreciate it, especially since I am confined to the indoors on in this lovely Boston weather!
Thanks all,
Jim

2011-02-24 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3304351

User image

Regular
Salem, MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman 2011

Hi Jim,

First of all congratulations on signing up for this race. It's a good one. I did several times, I also did Timberman and Providence, but the Mooseman is my favorite. It's not as big and logistically it seems to be the easiest. It's also very beautiful there. Anyway, one tip I could give is: do some hill training. You could set the treadmill to some incline percentage or just wait until it's warmer and include a couple of serious hill in your run or bike. The swim is relatively easy in the lake (as opposed to a rough ocean swim which I had during Providence HIM). Other than that I would stick to your training plan and follow it militantly

pre11328 - 2011-01-17 1:02 PM Hey all!

I am all signed up and I booked my lodging, my friends and family are all coming to cheer me on! Now all I have to do is finish! This is my first half Iron and needless to say im excited/nervous. I have been able to get through oly's without too much torture, but I know I am am not at the point just yet to complete it and the following months between now and June are going to make the difference! Is there anyone out there with mooseman/half iron experience that could throw me some tips to get ready for that race, I would greatly appreciate it, especially since I am confined to the indoors on in this lovely Boston weather!
Thanks all,
Jim

2011-02-24 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3371106

User image

Regular
Salem, MA

You can also check out the Race Talk Thread for the Mooseman 2011, where you can ask questions and get other useful info...

Wilhelm - 2011-02-24 4:00 PM

Hi Jim,

First of all congratulations on signing up for this race. It's a good one. I did several times, I also did Timberman and Providence, but the Mooseman is my favorite. It's not as big and logistically it seems to be the easiest. It's also very beautiful there. Anyway, one tip I could give is: do some hill training. You could set the treadmill to some incline percentage or just wait until it's warmer and include a couple of serious hill in your run or bike. The swim is relatively easy in the lake (as opposed to a rough ocean swim which I had during Providence HIM). Other than that I would stick to your training plan and follow it militantly

pre11328 - 2011-01-17 1:02 PM Hey all!

Thanks all,
Jim

2011-02-28 6:32 AM

User image

Thank you very much for the advice! I am learning a ton about this race and I am definitely planning on getting up there a couple of times and riding the course once it warms up a bit, for now i am enjoying lovely trainer rides. Hills are definitely becoming the core focus of my training for this one! I hear that lake is beautiful to swim in so I am really looking forward to that, I am definitely not a fan of ocean swims so i tend to shy away from those races, though I have done a few sprints with ocean swims.
2011-02-28 12:33 PM

User image

Regular
Salem, MA

Going up there and swimming/biking/running the actual race course is the definitely the ultimate way to prepare of a race. I think it's even better than if you have done the race before as your impression of the course will be fresh, so there shouldn't be any surprises. The only thing you can't really control is the weather. When I did the race in 2006 it was overcast and slightly drizzling now and then for most of the race, which turned out to be perfect race conditions for me. The next year it was unusually hot and humid. I kept pouring water over my head, which ended up soaking my running shoes, making them heavy and giving me blisters. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that. Hopefully, this year will be as nice as it usually is...

2011-03-04 10:05 AM

User image

I have been insanely lucky, in two years of racing Ive yet to have a rainy race day, something tells me based on recent history mooseman may be that first one! Seems like last year was a pretty bad experience all around, thats why I have chosen to rent a house instead of camp.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mooseman 2011 Rss Feed