General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 15s
Overall Rank = 2534/19298
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 266/1040
Pre-race routine:

Flew into Phoenix on Friday and stayed at the Biltmore. We hung out at the pool on Friday after hitting the expo and spent most of Saturday enjoying the warm weather (it was snowing and cold in Chicago) at the pool as well.

On Sunday one week before the race I was running in the freezing cold in Chicago and was having bad Achilles tendon pain. I cut my run short and headed home. For the next 3 days the pain moved from my Achilles to my outside shin. On Monday I could barely walk. I had ART done a couple of times that week and slowly but surely it started to loosen up. I decided to give it a shot and just run nice and easy and keep my HR down.

On Sunday morning we got up, ate a little breakfast and drove over to the race. Only took us about 15 minutes to get into the parking lot and on a shuttle. After getting to the start we just hung out, stretched, checked our gear and got in line.
Event warmup:

Stretching and a half mile jog to test out the leg. If I had pain I was going to bail.
Run
  • 1h 52m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Just took it nice and easy the first 11.5 miles. I kept my HR low and controlled and just monitored my legs for any pain. I hit the aid stations for water and cytomax (that stuff is nasty, but not as nasty as perform). I was averaging around an 8:40 pace.

At mile 11.5 I was feeling pretty good and decided to try and push it a little. I picked up the pace and ran the last 1.6 miles at a 7:30 pace. Felt no real pain in my shin, which was good. I finished with a smile on my face and was happy with the results under the circumstances.
What would you do differently?:

Not get hurt 1 week before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around some and met my wife at the runner reunite (she ran a 1:45:10). We walked around the post race fest some to cool down and keep the blood flowing.

They also had ice buckets for icing your feet and ankles. I took part in that (they had bags you put over your feet to keep them dry and somewhat sanitary).

After icing we headed to the car and stopped at In and Out Burger. We don't have those in Chicago and I am addicted to them when out west.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting hurt a week before.

Event comments:

I had a great time with this race. Being from out of town I was a little concerned with logistics. From the expo to the shuttle to the start to the finish I was happy with everything. It was a lot more organized than RNR Chicago is.

The only thing they could possibly do better would be to have more traffic cops directing cars out of the lot after the race. It was a little hectic in the parking lot.

Overall, I would come back and do this race again. I had a great time and the weather was perfect.

Last updated: 2010-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:15 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 266/1040
Overall: 1040/19298
Performance: Good
Course: Was a point to point course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-01-17 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon

2011-01-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3305147

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
Subject: RE: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon
Nice race!  I wish I had some left in me to push it at the end like you did.  It was a great weather day for the race, glad you could come down for it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed