General Discussion Race Reports! » Green Mountain Athletic Association Green Mountain Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Green Mountain Athletic Association Green Mountain Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
South Hero, Vermont
United States
Green Mountain Athletic Association
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 40m 6s
Overall Rank = 105/416
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 17/36
Pre-race routine:

Drove to event ~ 1hr30min. Light breakfast.
Event warmup:

1/2 mile of light jogging, some stretching.
Run
  • 3h 40m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out at pace for BQ ~7:15 and under. First few miles were downhill, so it was easy to keep that pace. Relaxed for the first few instead of banking time. When the downhills ended and the rollers started, I noted that my HR was higher than I was expecting and had seen in prep workouts. This was really odd since the temps were very cool.. so it was not heat induced.

HR stayed high for the 1st half while I maintained pace, perceived effort seemed similarly too high. I knew in the first 10K that this race was going to be a struggle. Came through the half right on target 1:35:xx, but very spent... knew my BQ chance was gone at that point. I eventually broke off BQ pace a few miles after the halfway point and took it easy, some walking. As per usual, picked it back up again in the last couple of miles
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I could have done during the race, it was all about preparation on this one (see post race notes). Obviously went out way too hard for my current ability, but I was only interested in a BQ, nothing else, so it made sense. "BQ or bust".. bust again!
Post race
Warm down:

Heavy stretching and a sports message the next day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A couple of things:
-While the build period of my training was spot on, including a pretty successful race simulation workout, the taper was inadequate. Volume was cut way too much in the final weeks as I struggled to get out the door.
-I was burnt out during the taper from a long season
-No real focus on the marathon. Both marathons this season had specific training plans of ~6weeks, not enough focus on running to expect a decent performance due to a bike and swim focused tri training
-I'm done with open marathons for a bit. I'm obviously approaching this wrong since my fastest marathon was my fist nearly a decade ago. I'm not training with specific focuses and my training and racing is all over the place.
-Next year should be tri specific training and racing.

Event comments:

Very good venue, absolutely scenic and enjoyable.

Last updated: 2010-08-10 12:00 AM
Running
03:40:06 | 26.2 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/36
Overall: 105/416
Performance: Bad
Course: Very Scenic. Consistent, but gradual hills... nothing to step. Rollers to flat on paved and dirt roads, mostly along lake Champlain. Mildly challenging, but beautiful
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-01-21 7:51 AM

User image

Lafayette, Indiana
Subject: Green Mountain Athletic Association Green Mountain Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Green Mountain Athletic Association Green Mountain Marathon Rss Feed