Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-01-24 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3316632

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Pit Bulls and Pit Mixes
Chows are frequently prohibited by insurance companies, and are often included in breed bans.

2011-01-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3318276

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
APBTs and AmStaffs do not have a "tendency for mauling". They should have NO human aggression. They are terriers, and have a quality of gameness and tenacity in the breed standard. They also can be animal aggressive (of which there are MANY types and gradients, and MANY dogs have).

"Tendency for mauling" is a loaded phrase. Even dogs which are far, far more likely to be "actually" dangerous or human aggressive (e.g. Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, Presa Canario), there is nothing in the breed standards that dictates a "tendency for mauling."

Dog breeds (most of the established ones) came about for a reason. And certain traits were bred into a dog. Dogs were bred to do jobs.  Those inherent qualities can be dangerous in the hands of someone not capable of or willing to be responsible for the proper training of the animal. ALL dogs can end up like that.
2011-01-24 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3314811

User image

Melon Presser
I'm still looking for detailed information on the owners of dogs that have seriously or fatally harmed humans.

Banning or in any other way legislating certain breeds means a significant increase in costs of regulation and law enforcement. Who's going to pay for that in the U.S. when there's not even enough money for compulsory education?
2011-01-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3318950

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
And, lest we forget...the people who own dangerous dogs, who let them run loose, who keep them for fighting/aggression, etc., those people don't give two craps about a breed ban.

The only people who will really be impacted are those of us who are responsible dog owners--who now have to euthanize or rehome our animal or move, or at the best case scenario, no longer be able to adopt another dog in a breed we like and can help serve as an ambassador for.

It's like guns or alcohol or drugs...the "bad people"? They're going to be irresponsible whether it's legal or not.
2011-01-24 4:42 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Why are Pit Bulls the most popular breed for fighting? What is the "Pit" in their name?
2011-01-24 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3319032

User image

Melon Presser
mrbbrad - 2011-01-25 5:42 AM Why are Pit Bulls the most popular breed for fighting? What is the "Pit" in their name?

not a rhetorical question?

bull-baiting (for which bulldogs were used, really not a 'breed' yet and the idea of a very narrow set of standards for a specific breed is quite modern) when it became a sport (it was bull-herding first, so work origins) ... took place in pits. When England outlawed bull-baiting as a sport, people just substituted other animals for the bull ... rats, monkeys, other predators, and yes, other bulldogs

it is thought that 'terrier' was introduced into the name because there was some terrier crossing to make the fighting dogs more agile while retaining power.

However, all through this history, and today as well, the vast majority of bully-dogs were neither bred nor used for fighting. Back then they were used for working/herding/hunting/guarding, and nowadays most of them seem to be companion dogs (probably not my first choice for a family dog, but for a true dog family, a perfectly good choice).

There are a gazillion reasons pit bulls seem to be the preferred breed for dogfighting. Sure, they're good at it. But so are a bunch of other breeds. Sure, some were bred to be dogfighters in particular ... a serious minority. It seems more to be the inertia of them already being the most common pick of dogfighting, plus the prestige/badazz factor of having a stable of badazz pitbulls, etc.

2011-01-24 6:26 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
AmStaffs and APBTs are probably the most common dog used in the USA. However, in other countruies the dogo argentino, Tosa inu, presa canario, and Fila brasilero are all very common (perhaps more so...although I have no statistics to confirm this without a serach.)

2011-01-24 7:55 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
2011-01-24 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3318667

User image

Extreme Veteran
1. Dachshunds
2. Chihuahuas
3. Beagles
4. Jack Russell Terriers
5. Australian Cattle Dogs

Actually, even if you do look at the discrete numbers, American Pit Bull Terriers would still be half the number of attacks as Dachshunds.

BINGO!!  My neighbors dachshund keeps nipping at my pit/mastiff.  I knew that was a dangerous breed!!
2011-01-24 8:13 PM

User image

Chicago

My big MEAN ANGRY SCARY and whatever name you want to call him. HERES Teck.

(IMG_1174.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1174.JPG (82KB - 25 downloads)
2011-01-24 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3318950

User image

NC
TriAya - 2011-01-24 5:04 PM
Banning or in any other way legislating certain breeds means a significant increase in costs of regulation and law enforcement.

Cost has never been an impediment to additional legislation.

2011-01-24 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3319357

User image

Extreme Veteran

Chester Molester.  I took him to the vet a few weeks ago.  He crawled up onto my lap and whimpered for 15 minutes till the vet was ready to see him.  The receptionist said "Chester, we have female chihuahua  tougher than you".  He is a total baby.
2011-01-24 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
mrbbrad - 2011-01-24 4:42 PM Why are Pit Bulls the most popular breed for fighting? What is the "Pit" in their name?

In short, a brief history of the "pit bull" can be found at the following website and gives a good short history of the breed known at the American Pit Bull Terrier.

http://badrap.org/rescue/breed.html

Note: the term "Pit Bull" is used by a number of people to describe a variety of dogs: American Staffordshire Terrier, Cane Corso, Bull Terrier, Presa Canario, and several others.

The short and simple answer as to why they are used for fighting is the "spirit, tenacity, strength, and loyalty" that the breed displays mixed with the lack of desire to "bite" a handler while it is seriously injured. These traits are ideal when you need a dog to subdue a wild boar, bull, or sadly another dog. Other breeds have been bred for these purposes too (Dogo Argentino, Akitas, Cane Corso, etc) ... the American Pit Bull Terrier just had the misfortune of being the best at doing these tasks and in the 70's were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Since the breed originally was a working dog (and sadly a fighting dog) found mostly in the lower classes, this accessibility led to the traits mentioned above being used to benefit the nefarious desires/ needs of drug dealers, gang member, and idiots who wanted the baddest dog on the block. Individuals heard tales of "locking jaws and swelling brains that create killer dogs" and just had to have the "pit bull."

This is what brought the breed to the attention of mainstream America; individuals that used (or neglected) the breed for all the wrong reasons and got the breed into all sorts of situations the dogs should never have been used.

The term "pit" comes from what you think. In the early days a small enclosure or "pit" was used to create a ring in which dogs would be fought against each other or used against a bear.

NO, I DO NOT FIGHT DOGS OR CONDONE IT... I rescued an APBT 15 years ago and fell in love with the athletic nature of the breed. They are an amazing dog with a seriously BADRAP.
2011-01-24 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3318683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
lisac957 - 2011-01-24 2:18 PM Yup, dachshunds are VICIOUS!
Especially when lounging on fluffy rugs!

one of the things I admire most about the Badger Dog is that as it is used to this day as a "hunting dog, scars from honorable wounds shall not be considered a fault."

direct from the AKC breed standards.
2011-01-25 12:00 AM
in reply to: #3318397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
jmcconne - 2011-01-24 9:22 AM I think the issue with pit bulls (and some other breeds) is that they have tendencies that have to be trained out. I knew my MIL would not spend the amount of time required to effectively train the dog.  Owning a pit bull is bigger responsibility than say a lab.  Good owners of pit bulls do just fine, the issue is more than likely the owner will be lazy or at worst abusive.

APBT's (and other dogs) do not have 'tendencies' to be trained out. Working dogs (aka terriers) were bred for a specific niche or job - usually towards rodents, wild game, etc. If you want a lap dog... don't get a Mastiff. If you are lazy and don't want to walk a dog... get a cat. If you want an athletic dog that will keep up with you on 6 miles runs... you MIGHT look at an APBT. You CAN NOT TRAIN OUT something that a dog has been bred (i.e. animal aggression - which is the heart of every "pit bull" argument - comes from the desire to breed a dog for hunting) but those traits can be manipulated and used for darker desires (dog fighting). Sadly, I think a lot of people get a dog without understanding what characteristics the breed exhibits and have no idea how that will effect their relationship with their pet. (kinda like how some people don't know how hard it is to raise a child and the sacrifices it will take) The APBT is not for the average owner; they require someone that will be FIRM, CONSISTENT, and FAIR. Things I think most people are unable (or ignorant of the need) to provide for a healthy relationship with their pet. All dog ownership is a SERIOUS responsibility... just like raising a child. Think 16 year old raising a new born on her own... not the ideal situation.

In regards to the the lab reference, I have known a couple of happy go lucky labs (beagles, chows, etc) at 70 lbs that have knocked a 10 year to the pavement. Yes, I do get that you mean vicious bloody attacks by a dog... but that scenario can be applied to all animals and people as well.

KeriKadi - 2011-01-24 12:47 PMI think, in general, pit bull owners ALL DOG OWNERS have to take more responsibility and be more aware and cautious than some other breeds. 

Let me be the first to apologize for the neighbor. My fear is that he may be the "meathead" type that is drawn to the breed. I hope and pray that the family wises up and takes responsibility for their dog. I also hope that your future encounters with the neighborhood pets and all dogs are not so terrifying.

2011-01-25 12:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
This may give some a glimpse into the breed that few ever knew was possible. It is a video about the Michael Vick dogs and what became of them.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1757336290 (this aired on PBS last week

2011-01-25 2:53 AM
in reply to: #3319615

User image

Veteran
SoCal
bullyboy - 2011-01-24 10:05 PM This may give some a glimpse into the breed that few ever knew was possible. It is a video about the Michael Vick dogs and what became of them.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1757336290 (this aired on PBS last week

awwww that made me cry.  what sweet dogs. and what great people  (the rehabilitation team and families/sanctuaries that took in the pups.)   
2011-01-25 6:11 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
2011-01-25 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3319612

User image

Payson, AZ
bullyboy - 2011-01-24 11:00 PM
jmcconne - 2011-01-24 9:22 AM I think the issue with pit bulls (and some other breeds) is that they have tendencies that have to be trained out. I knew my MIL would not spend the amount of time required to effectively train the dog.  Owning a pit bull is bigger responsibility than say a lab.  Good owners of pit bulls do just fine, the issue is more than likely the owner will be lazy or at worst abusive.

APBT's (and other dogs) do not have 'tendencies' to be trained out. Working dogs (aka terriers) were bred for a specific niche or job - usually towards rodents, wild game, etc. If you want a lap dog... don't get a Mastiff. If you are lazy and don't want to walk a dog... get a cat. If you want an athletic dog that will keep up with you on 6 miles runs... you MIGHT look at an APBT. You CAN NOT TRAIN OUT something that a dog has been bred (i.e. animal aggression - which is the heart of every "pit bull" argument - comes from the desire to breed a dog for hunting) but those traits can be manipulated and used for darker desires (dog fighting). Sadly, I think a lot of people get a dog without understanding what characteristics the breed exhibits and have no idea how that will effect their relationship with their pet. (kinda like how some people don't know how hard it is to raise a child and the sacrifices it will take) The APBT is not for the average owner; they require someone that will be FIRM, CONSISTENT, and FAIR. Things I think most people are unable (or ignorant of the need) to provide for a healthy relationship with their pet. All dog ownership is a SERIOUS responsibility... just like raising a child. Think 16 year old raising a new born on her own... not the ideal situation.

In regards to the the lab reference, I have known a couple of happy go lucky labs (beagles, chows, etc) at 70 lbs that have knocked a 10 year to the pavement. Yes, I do get that you mean vicious bloody attacks by a dog... but that scenario can be applied to all animals and people as well.

KeriKadi - 2011-01-24 12:47 PMI think, in general, pit bull owners ALL DOG OWNERS have to take more responsibility and be more aware and cautious than some other breeds. 

Let me be the first to apologize for the neighbor. My fear is that he may be the "meathead" type that is drawn to the breed. I hope and pray that the family wises up and takes responsibility for their dog. I also hope that your future encounters with the neighborhood pets and all dogs are not so terrifying.

Excellant post.  Now, can you come talk to the folks next door?  Totally a-holes regarding their two pits.  Not once have I blamed the dogs, always the idiot owners.
2011-01-25 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Ok, i've read the thread, and i think i'll add my 2 cent.

I think most of you are a bit to firmly grounded on either side of the fence. As always the truth is somewhere in the middle.

My 75 year old mom had a american staffordshire/pitbull mix a few years back and it was the most gentle and nice dog you could imagine. My nieces and nephews pulled her ears, tail, jumped on her and dished out all sorts of abuse that 3-5 years are able to. The dog never ever did anything. Then again, i know a PB in my neighborhood that never gets any love, just chained outside and yelled at now and then. That one growls at the sight of humans.

I love dobermanns, my dogs has been the sweetest dogs. Only time i've been bitten? Cujo the doberman. We were out walking and met another doberman, went over to say hi and chit chat. the 110 pound doberman just goes bananas and tries to bite whatever was in reach. The owner said. he does that, i've never been able to teach this stupid dog anything...

I say no way we should outlaw certain breeds of dogs. we've had that discussion a few times in Sweden, and for now it seems that all dogs are allowed.

In my opinion it's 100% about how you raise the dog. i DO think there should be extensive classes and living enviroment standards one has to follow in order to get a "dog permit"

The local drug dealer with a dog? put him away and give the dog to a shelter.

I think a lot of the dachshund/labrador/cuddly dog bites comes from the person getting bitten has no respect for the dog and just walks up to it and start petting it. Few sees a PB or a doberman and just walks up to it and starts petting it.

2011-01-25 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3319357

User image

Pro
Thomasski - 2011-01-24 9:13 PM

My big MEAN ANGRY SCARY and whatever name you want to call him. HERES Teck.

I don't know... his eyes look pretty evil

What a good looking dog!

2011-01-25 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would think a a breed ban/legislation would be too difficult to be worth it. I do believe that any time an animal is loose and within a hundred feet of a person, shooting the unknown animal is completely acceptable. No reason to risk someone being hurt.  If a loose animal does hurt someone, the owner should be held criminally liable.
2011-01-25 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3320010

User image

Veteran
Lomma
jmcconne - 2011-01-25 3:30 PM

I would think a a breed ban/legislation would be too difficult to be worth it. I do believe that any time an animal is loose and within a hundred feet of a person, shooting the unknown animal is completely acceptable. No reason to risk someone being hurt.  If a loose animal does hurt someone, the owner should be held criminally liable.

Yeah, i feel the same way about people, if they come within 100 feet i should be allowed to shoot them in the face.. After all, they MIGHT mug me...

2011-01-25 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3320057

User image

Extreme Veteran
FlyBoy172 - 2011-01-25 8:46 AM
Yeah, i feel the same way about people, if they come within 100 feet i should be allowed to shoot them in the face.. After all, they MIGHT mug me...

The difference in your scenario is if you're wrong, a person is killed or at the least severely injured.  In my scenario,  worst case scenario an innocent dog is killed.  The risk that you may kill a dog that wasn't going to cause a problem, is definitely worth the risk you or a child is killed or hurt.

Life of Human > Life of Dog
2011-01-25 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
But surely with my irrational fear of muggers i'm justified in killing everybody that comes close enough. I have no way of knowing if they will mug me, so better safe than sorry.

If i knew there was a 50% chance i or someone else would be bitten by an unleashed dog i MIGHT agree with you.

I've been around leashed and unleashed dogs all my life and i don't think the chance of being attacked by a pack of wild dogs is 50%, more like 0.01%.

Do you have extraordinary wild dogs where you live making you fear for your life when you see one?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pit Bulls and Pit Mixes Rss Feed  

of 6