General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on Vineman 70.3 bike course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-27 5:38 PM

User image

Danville
Subject: Training on Vineman 70.3 bike course
I'm signed up for Vineman 70.3 2011 but don't know the roads up there... is it feasible to go there and do training rides on some of these roads or are they busy and full of cars on the weekends?  Any portions of the course that are better (or easier due to less traffic) to train on?

Any advice appreciated - thanks! 

2011-01-28 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3325689

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Training on Vineman 70.3 bike course
no problem riding it as a training ride.  I've done it a few times and I know many others do to.  The loop is the primary part of the course, so I'd do that.  Common place to start/finish is at Windsor high school where T2 is located.  Can follow the directions for the 140.6 if you want since that starts second loop from there.  I probably wouldn't ride much on the start of the course (river road) because cars tend to drive pretty fast there (although I've never ridden that stretch outside of the race).

only caveat is that you are in wine country so never know if you have any winos behind the wheel.
2011-01-30 12:31 AM
in reply to: #3327477

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
enginerd - 2011-01-28 1:13 PM no problem riding it as a training ride.  I've done it a few times and I know many others do to.  The loop is the primary part of the course, so I'd do that.  Common place to start/finish is at Windsor high school where T2 is located.  Can follow the directions for the 140.6 if you want since that starts second loop from there.  I probably wouldn't ride much on the start of the course (river road) because cars tend to drive pretty fast there (although I've never ridden that stretch outside of the race).

only caveat is that you are in wine country so never know if you have any winos behind the wheel.

We rode the first part of the vineman course last summer & didint find river rd to be a problem.  The shoulder is very wide.  Also, Westside Rd is pretty quiet in the mornings before the wineries open for business.
2011-02-03 1:36 PM

I live just off the course and ride it a few times a month.  The roads are not very busy, especially in the morning.  Watch out for potholes.  The December rains have done a real number on Westside, which was never that good in the first place and there are some new tough spots on some of the Chalk Hill.  These should be filled in before the race, but right now it pays to be careful on your descents.  

Starting at Windsor High is a great idea.

I put a map with elevations on mapmyride.com under Vineman 70.3 2008, 2009.

It's a great course.  People tell me it is beautiful, but I've never looked up enough from my aerobars to notice. 

Edited by MPCakes 2011-02-03 1:38 PM
2011-02-04 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA

I have done Vineman 70.3 twice, each time on a different road bike..  Based on advice before I did it in 2007, I had Mr. Tuffy strips put in both tires and a slime tube on the back.  The 2007 race being my first 70.3 and that I sucked at changing flats, I went with the extra security..  Just a newbie being cautious.. I was doing the race for the pure joy of  completing it and not for anything else and I had not problems.  It was also suggested to tie-wrap my Cat Eye cyclocomputer to the bracket it snaps into, because the person who recommended I do this, lost hers in her Vineman 70.3 race.  In 2007 I saw only one person with a flat and remnants of one accident..  In 2008 I saw about five flats and lots of "stuff" on the side of the roads that you follow thru the wine country.  These roads were open to traffic the two times I did the race but do not know if they have changed that..  You will experience lots of this I am sure if you pre-ride the course.  Good Luck!!

Lori

2011-03-10 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Dude. I ride the Vineman course (or at least most of it) regularly. Not bad at all.

I'd offer to ride with you if you come up, but I'm slow and just getting back into riding regularly. But I'm happy to drive the course with you. The worst part if the little stretch along River Road coming out of Guerneville, but you're not there for long, and then you turn onto the back roads.

Also, people around here are used to seeing cyclists on those roads. I went for a lunch time ride last Tuesday and say 14 people in 16 miles.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on Vineman 70.3 bike course Rss Feed