General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ganglion cyst on top of foot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-27 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: ganglion cyst on top of foot
Has anyone ever dealt with a ganglion cyst on the top of their foot?  Mine is located right on top of a tendon at the very top of the foot (about an inch below where the foot meets the ankle).  It surfaced out of the clear blue, sometime back in December...and it looks like it has gradually gotten slightly larger in the last week or so.   If I had to guess, I'd say it's about the size of a quarter and is very prominent when my foot is in a dorsi-flexed position.   I've noticed recently, that when I wear cycling shoes...the 'tongue' of the shoe hits right on the cyst causing some mild pain.  I don't feel it as much when I wear my running shoes, because I wear Nike Free Runs and there is no tongue on those shoes and it just "gives" a bit more so they don't irritate it as much. 

I've heard that sometimes these cysts just go away on their own...but after how much time?  I've also heard that having them drained will often make them reappear quickly, so removal is often the better option.  I really need to get this taken care of before cycling season is in full swing, because I certainly don't want my shoes causing me pain.  Any info/advice on this would be helpful.  Thanks!

2011-01-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3325867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: RE: ganglion cyst on top of foot
I had one before on my wrist where it is rarely in the way.  Mind went away just as quickly as it came, but I had it for about 14 months.  Mine also never got as big as yours seems to be.  I never investigated removal or treatment options because it wasn't in the way and the doc said it was harmless.  I have nothing helpful for you except that it can just go away.

What is the recovery time on the removal for that? 
2011-01-29 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3328627

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
carrie1 - 2011-01-29 2:59 PM I had one before on my wrist where it is rarely in the way.  Mind went away just as quickly as it came, but I had it for about 14 months.  Mine also never got as big as yours seems to be.  I never investigated removal or treatment options because it wasn't in the way and the doc said it was harmless.  I have nothing helpful for you except that it can just go away.

What is the recovery time on the removal for that? 

Thanks for the reply, carrie1.  Wow...14 months seems like an eternity to me!  I can't imagine having this thing on my foot for that long.  It would drive me nuts...simply because of its precarious location and the irritation that certain shoes tend to cause due to the 'tongue' resting on it.  I haven't officially investigated what drainage or removal might entail.  Guess I should start though, because I hope to start cycling outdoors again in March (which isn't so far off)...and I want this thing GONE.   
2011-01-29 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3325867

User image

Bronze member
I had one this summer. It was on my ankle. At first I thought it was a bug bite, it was tiny. Then I noticed when I would go for a longer run it would grow. I went to the doc, she said I could take an anti-inflammatory and/or ice it. If it changed color, seemed to spread or grow "fingers" to come back but as it was it was harmless. I tried Aleeve twice a day for about a week but it didn't do anything. I chose to ice it. I took some time off from running in the fall and it quickly went away on it's own.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ganglion cyst on top of foot Rss Feed