General Discussion Race Reports! » GRTC Freezeroo #4 - The Hearnish 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

GRTC Freezeroo #4 - The Hearnish 10K - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pittsford, New York
United States
Greater Rochester Track Club
25F / -4C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 58m 30s
  • 6.49 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

After hitting the top of the second hill with a petite lady she said our reward for going up was the downhill. I said I would rather have a Big Mac and a beer, I got much more. At Mile 4 and few other hill I was running just ahead of her. She was talking to another lady of the same age I figured. They could actually talk unlike me. We had a monster hill 1/2 mile ahead.

They discussed how they started running. 'A' had started three years ago, but two years ago she had been diagnosed with some type of lymphoma and was surviving without treatment at the moment. 'L' the petite woman I had talked to, told 'A' to keep running and being positive as she was a 15 year survivor of colo/rectal cancer. It was very touching to listen them get to know each other. They had an instant bond. I stuck out my hand a gave them a thumbs up as if that was enough or anything.

Short downhill before the monster hill we talked and both 'A' and 'L' were striving to run the whole thing.
Lisa said "I don't give a Ship how hard it hurts I'm gonna climb it and that from someone who can't ship".
I was looking to walk some of it till 'L' said "you gonna let a girl beat you?". I mention she had beat anything I done so far in my life. 'A' out raced 'L' and me. I hung with 'L' as she was pushing to her cardio max. We damn near made it. We only had a little walk and finished it running. We did 90% plus of the hill far more then I have ever done.

I ran the rest of the way with them. I was little afraid that the hill had taken to much out of 'L' but she beat me to the finish. 'A' and I finished close to each other, her first. We hugged and all that good stuff.
It was an honor to meet and get to encourage each other. Some days a marathon is just a long run and some day a 10K puts things back into prospective.
Post race

Last updated: 2011-01-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:30 | 06.49 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-01-29 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: GRTC Freezeroo #4 - The Hearnish 10K

2011-01-29 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3328512

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: GRTC Freezeroo #4 - The Hearnish 10K
Great lesson and awesome running too.
2011-01-29 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3328512

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: GRTC Freezeroo #4 - The Hearnish 10K

Hearing those stories keeps things in perspective.  Thanks for sharing that!

Nice running too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GRTC Freezeroo #4 - The Hearnish 10K Rss Feed