General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Special needs/T1 & T2 in IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-31 3:48 PM

User image

Park Slope, Brooklyn
Subject: Special needs/T1 & T2 in IM

I'll be racing IMLP '11, it will be my first IM.  I've raced a lot of 70.3s, olys, sprints, running races, but never an IM.

My question is about race logistics.  Specifically, the special needs bag I keep hearing about.

Could someone tell me what that's all about, where it is located, etc?

And, if anyone has any info about T1 and T2 at IMLP I'd love to hear it.  I'll be riding and running the course a few times, but I heve never been up there to watch the race and see how everything else works.

Thanks,
~Dave

2011-01-31 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3331576

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Special needs/T1 & T2 in IM
Special needs bags are provided for the run and the bike.  And they are generally at a SN station at mile 56 and 13.1 (or close to it)...

In general, you put in these bags anything you feel you want/need on the course...  I could be nutrition, spare tube/co2, etc...

For me?  I decided to live off the course at IMSG, but at Silverman, I threw in a bottle of infinit concentrate, a powerbar, spare tube, and CO2.  That was in case I flatted in the first 56, and wanted a backup for the second half.

For my run SN, I packed a CHEAP stocking hat and gloves because I knew It was going to be dark and colder by the time I was halfway done with the run.

Basically, it's just anything you might want that the course will not offer.  Be warned, many times, if you don't get/use your SN items, you lose them.  They try to get your SN bags back, but it's not 100% (or that's what they tell you).

Like I said, I just don't deal with them and live off the course.  One less stop and one less thing to worry about.  But I have seen people pack PB&J sandwitches, candy bars, etc.

Edited by Kido 2011-01-31 4:29 PM
2011-01-31 4:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Kido provided a great overview. Spot on.

You don't have to use them at all, but it's nice to have some backup/emergency items in there - or even a little treat.

In my bike SN I had:
Spray sunscreen
Payday bar
Spare Infinite bottle
Chamois Butt'r sample size
Tylenol
Glasses cleaner & cloth
Spare tube and two c02s

I used the sunscreen and Chamois Butt'r, took the Tylenol, put the Payday in my Bento and ate it later.

For run SN I had:
Spare socks
Tylenol
Body glide
Long sleeved shirt
Gum
Variety of foods (PB sandwich, salt/vinegar chips, tootsie rolls, pretzels)
Inspiration cards my family and friends had written prior to the race

The only thing I took out of run SN bag was one potato chip, 2 tootsie rolls, and my inspiration cards.

2011-01-31 6:13 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Personally, I've never used special needs (6x IM), but that's me.  I take gels/bars that I need with me or use what is at aid stations.

What questions did you have about T1/T2?  One difference at IM distance is changing tents and people to help you out if you want.  Also at IM-brand races (and some independent ones) you don't have your T1/T2 bags at the bike rack.  At the U.S. IM-brand races I've done (wsconsin, LP), you don't rack your bike yourself after the bike segment (handler will take it from you).
2011-02-01 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3331847

User image

Park Slope, Brooklyn

Thanks everyone, this is EXACTLY why I posted here and just what I wanted to know.  Good info and much appreciated!

~Dave

2011-02-01 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3331847

Master
, California
I had sunscreen in both my T1 and T2 bags.  Yeah they had volunteers slapping sunscreen on some people but you're better off if you do it yourself.  A sunburn makes for a miserable day.

If you're using clinchers, bring an extra spare tube with you in the morning, in addition to the spare that's on your bike.  There are always a few people who pop a tube when they're inflating tires right before the event starts.  If you don't end up using it, you can just toss it in your morning clothes bag.

2011-02-02 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
I would agree with Lisa.  I had a little bit of everything in my T1, T2 and Special Needs bags for IMFL.  In reality, I only used/needed less than 25% of it on race day.  However, for my first IM, it gave me peace of mind to know I had different snacks, tubes, even a tire repair patch.  Next go-around I probably won't include as much, but for mental "security" it was nice the first time to know I had sherpa bags along the way. 
2011-02-05 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3335535

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Agree with all that's been said previously.

Did IMFL 10 was great to have the peace of mind of having spares on the course, but happily cycled past the bike SN and ran (OK hobbled) past the run SN (I had a change of shoes in the run bag, even thought I'd heard that not all are returned - I got both my bags back).

Like the idea of carrying a spare tube in the morning, sh1t does happen when you least expect it, was getting into my wetsuit on race morning and the guy beside me pulled the zipper right off of his - think he was german as I couldn't make out the curse words!
2011-02-05 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Here is my excel spreadsheet for all my bags. Each IM I make a list and update it after the race so my list reflects what I did and changes I'd make.

I did IMFL which was 42 when we got on the bike and high of 61 or 62 so more layers and clothing options than I'd use in a summer normal temp IM. I pack stuff I know I'll use in a 2 gallon ziplock and other back up in separate bag so things dont' get lost or all jumbled up with the chaos of transition tent.

T1 Bike
In large 2 gallon ziplock-everything I will for sure use
Directions what to remember on index card
bike shoes
socks?-no socks?-went with wool socks
bike helmet
bike gloves
new tri top
leg warmers
arm warmers
vest
jacket