General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bulging disc? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-18 10:38 PM

User image

New user
Subject: bulging disc?
Has anyone trained with a bulging disc? I appear to have a disc injury on my cervical vertebrate. Will be getting a formal diagnosis next week along with an MRI. 

I'll be asking doctor, but could this be the end to my training and races?
Most articles on the web do not recommend continued running and possibly cycling.

I'd like to hear from those who have or had this injury.

>jerseywalt

2011-02-18 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3362710

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: bulging disc?
I have degenerative disc disease and a bulging disc. I've had it for about 6 years and I've never been bothered by it. However, I believe that it depends on the severity of the problem.
2011-02-18 11:50 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

I have two bulging discs that my neurologist did not feel warranted surgery, though she strongly encouraged to maintain a regular strength training plan to keep my back strong. Strength training has made a huge difference.  Occasionally, the dics bother me, but since I know what makes the problem flare up, I know what activities to avoid (e.g. don't carry backpacks/camera bags for a day hike in Yosemite, etc) so I keep flare-ups to a minimum.  When the disc problem flares-up, the nature of the pain is such that it really hurts to sit back against a chair or lie down, and if I lie down sometimes I have trouble getting up if I happened to turn over onto my side while attempting to sleep - so I end up not sleeping much for about 8-10 days.  This might sound odd, but when my discs are giving me trouble, I can still walk, run, and keep somewhat active without too much discomfort, so I spend a lot of time on my feet in the name of pain relief.  Otherwise, neither biking, running nor swimming has never bothered my neck. In my experience, maintaining an active lifestyle and keeping my back and core strong has kept the problems associated with the bulging discs to a minimum.

Edited by betyoursilver 2011-02-19 12:09 AM
2011-02-19 7:56 AM

User image

Elite

I would not sell your bike and take up knitting anytime soon (no offense to knitters).

Obviously I cannot diagnose you or give you a prognosis over the internet but keep this in mind.

Your neck pain can be coming from multiple sources. Yes a herniated and bulging disc(yes different problems) is the "sexy Diagnosis" but when you talk to your doctor about your MRI results ask them (presuming a bulging or herniated disc is found) if your symptoms are consisitent with this bulge/herniation.
Why do I say this?...studies have shown  that say,  suppose you took 100 people and put them in a MRI unit with NO pain especially if they are over the age of 30 and you can find bulges and herniations in people with no symptoms....therefore its not only important to find a bule/herniation but also to have clinical symptoms consistent with the said bulge/herniation...that is why many people are not surgical candidates , becasue their doctor feels the surgery will not clear up the symptoms.

Understand a bulging disc and herniated is slightly different the latter is usually more of an issue....a disc looks like a jelly donut.....bulge is the jelly pushing on the walls but not actually coming outside and a herniation is the jelly pushes outside and can surround nerve tissue.

so I will get off my soap box......so follow through but even if you have a bule or herniation it does not mean you need to give up tris....start with conservative care first if that fails...you can discuss further options with your doctor

sorry about long post but i just got on a roll lol

Id be happy to offer more insight into this but did not want to bog down the post more than i have already

good luck!!!

Edited by FELTGood 2011-02-19 7:57 AM
2011-02-22 8:56 PM

User image

New user
thanks all for the encouragement.

Actually I am far from selling my bike, in fact the day of my drs. appt I went to look at a P2.  Unfortunately due to the pain was not able to demo it on a trainer.

Dr. confirmed the pain in neck and hips are result of a bulging disc.  But was optimistic that the pain should go away with 2-3 week of less desk work.   I'm normally in front of a computer for 12 hrs a day for work and a few minutes here of course.    Weather getting warmer here in NJ so I'll start bike more indoors till the pain subsides.

>jerseywalt
2011-02-22 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
YRMV....

but I ran Boston 3 months post Dx, and IMCdA 2 months after that.  Cortisone and PT.

2011-02-23 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
tons of people struggle with bulging discs and keep training.  Frankly, most people have them even if they don't know it.

Your hip pain is not from the same bulging disc that's causing your neck pain.

Your neck may be bothered quite a bit by riding a triathlon bike with aero bars and having your torso low because that will cause you to have to crane your neck to look up.
By far the most common source of cervical disc pain is sleeping on your stomach.  If you do this, learn to stop.

When riding a road bike, it's entirely possible to adopt a more or less neutral position for the cervical spine and looking up with the eyes and not the entire head.  So cycling shouldn't be an issue.
And running should never be an issue (although your lumbar issue causing hip pain might be).

Swimming can also be a problem for your cervical disc.  If you notice swimming causing you problems in this regard, and always breath to one side more than the other....try changing sides for breathing.
Also, learn to adopt a bigger roll to the breathing side (if not to both) so that the neck is less involved in breathing.

In general, you want to stay active with disc problems.  Becoming sedentary doesn't help in the long run.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bulging disc? Rss Feed