Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
Capri Events
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and ate a bagel, some fruit and a bottle of water with amino vital... Went to the bathroom and read a magazine.... then mixed my ironman cocktail (more on that one later), filled my water bottles and just sit down and prayed a little prayer. We went to the race site and before leaving the car, I made sure I calibrated my seatpost, and my tire pressure.... Everything seems to be in order... Prepared my piece of real state (racks were numbered) which is cool.... Laid out my transition gear and went over everything I needed one more time. Got my wetsuit on and took the shuttle that would take us to the swim start.... 1.2 miles away...
Event warmup:

I decided to swim a little (to the first buoy) and came back... had an incredible peeing urge.... so I let go.... I kind of walk around as to make sure people will not notice that I was leaving a little trail... he he...

They called the first wave and then I realize that it was going to be a diffucult swim.... lake michigan was choppy and as the sun was rasing it completly would be on my face.... since I am a right side swimer, it would be on myface all the time... aggg....
Swim
  • 41m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was slow... as I mentioned the the water was choppy and the sun was on my face the whole time. I had to literally stop and try to find the buoys. tried to have some landmarks, but I think i am just not a good navigator.... I knew my swim was going to be slow, but I never thought it was going to be that slow...

In the middle of the swim, I realize that I no longer had my watch... I left it in Lake michigan....so now I think... Great... I will have no idea how long it took me to do this swim. I assume that it was not going to be any longer than 36 min..... well it took 41... I did not find out until the end of the race and I was dissapointed.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to breath in both direction to avoid the sun.... I also will consider to aquiring a slevless wetsuit.... for some reason i was dead tired at the end of the swim. I have swam faster and longer than 1.2 miles in open water and I have never felt that tired.. I think the sleeves of the wetsuit made me tired...

Transition 1
  • 06m 27s
Comments:

There was a very long run from the end of the swim to the transition area... I tried to run it, but I was dead tired and could not manage any run in the beach... I realize that It was going to be a looooong day. I finally made it to the transition area and my God.. my wetsuit was already dry and got stock on my heels... It took me several minutes to finally get rid of it... cosumed a shot of gel, some gatorade and put my glasses and my helmet and off I went.

secure my watch, practice wetsuit off and do it faster...
Bike
  • 2h 56m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok... I felt great at the beginning of the bike... I found out that hills and I are not good friends but I really enjoyed the ride. there were some sections I was cruising at 30+ mph, but there were some hills that I barely made it to the top (less than 5 mph).... overall I think I did great...except for a fatal mistake.....
you see... I had mixed my nutrition cocktail and I was supposed to take a sip every 15 min..... and chase the sucker with water or gatorade. I drank a little too much and I ran out of water/gatorade... No problem a aid station was comming up soon... I saw the exchange bottle approaching so I grabbed and got ready for a bottle exchange.. the first one, i took and took a bottle from one of my cages and threw it away replacing it with a bottle of gatorade. Then I took another bottle and emptied in my aerobar bottle... I assumed aeropostion and kept on hammering. when I wanted to get my nutrition cocktail sip....well.... it was no longer on my cage.. I had replaced it with a bottle of gatorade back there... I seriusly consider going back.... but then I decided to tought it up.... I started to drink gatorade and in every aid station i would make sure I would get some Gu..... but this was not what I have trained with, I would find out that later.

I found out that not everybody is honest in this sport... saw bunch of people drafting... I pissed me off. I consider doing it myself, but who was I going to fool... It just made me upset to see whole pelotons passing me..... Oh well...

Make sure which bottle was which...
I enjoyed the ride... it was good... The scenery was good... and of course the pace was good..
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Arrived in transition and I sat down, dried my feet and put socks on, (went sockless on the bike). Put my shoes on and took another shot of gel and took off for the run... I think I did a decent job in T2... did not feel rushed, just perfect.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 09m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Well.. I took off and I made my first mile in 8 min... I thought that would be a little bit too fast... so I slowed down and I made the second mile in about 9 min.... that was the pace i wanted so I settled at that pace and kept on running. I also realize that I had been drinking too much since my stomack felt like a canteen full of water. Not good.... For the first two aid stations I took gels, but I kept them on my hand... I could not eat them any more.... At mile 3 my stomach felt like it had enough and needed to make some room.... I had a horrible puking sensation.... I slowed down my pace and decided to walk a little to regroup.... then I just did what I knew it was comming... I found a tree, hugged and vomited and emptied my stomach. i attempt to run again... but two minutes later I was hugging another tree.... I approachead an aid station and got some water... i could not drink any gatorade or gu anymore.... I considerable slowed down and started a run (5 min) and walk (1 min).... I did this for a while and thought I was making good prgress.... I realize that the bottom of my feet were wet and that I would definitly was having blisters being developed... I thoughen it up and just kept on going. For the last 3 miles I suffered, my legs were ok... but I was sick to my stomach... I saw the finish line and just went for it... I crossed the finish line and all i care was to find a place were to puke some more.... he he...

I need to play with my nutrition more... I don't know if I would have kept my nutrition bottle would make a difference... I think i need to find a good formula for my nutrition that would include some solid fodds... Gatorade, the ironman cocktail and the GU are way tooo sweet...
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down... What is that?......

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition.... I need to reconsider very seriously my nutrition....
Lack of training... I also blame my poor perfomance in the fact that when I fell off my bike three weeks before the race... I only managed one good run and one good bike...and that was it. I basicly had a 3 1/2 week taper... Darn....

Event comments:

Great race... I would definitly do it again... and definitly would advise people to do this one.

Last updated: 2005-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: It was a straight swim.... a dive from the pier and then a stright line swim paralell to the shore....
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:56:03 | 56 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:50 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Course: Step up, step down, step up step down... that was what it felt the whole race. We ran in around an industrial area with lots of little bridges, high steps everywhere...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-11 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: Steelhead Half-Ironman

2005-08-11 4:42 PM
in reply to: #223224

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Steelhead Half-Ironman

Yowza!  Another brutal HIM story - but you were strong and overcame adversity!!  I hope it was a cheap watch!   Seriously, congrats on finishing under those circumstances.  Very difficult, and I don't think most people can do it - but you did.

Now that you've had your HARD race, you still have time to smooth it all out before you do a long race   (at least that's MY plan!)  When you're having a tough time in another race, someday in the future, you'll remember that you ARE strong and you are a FINISHER!!!

2005-08-11 4:59 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Great job!  The puking is no good, though.  Gotta love the triathlete mind, though, where puking is merely a minor distraction, like peeing or something!   If you think your swim is slow, check out my race report - it'll make you feel like the fastest man on earth!

Jessica

2005-08-11 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California
Subject: Steelhead Half-Ironman

Congrats!!

See you in Florida!

2005-08-12 1:10 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Luis, you rock!  You put up a mighty fine time, AND you had LOTS of adversity!  Amazing, very impressive
2005-08-12 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Luis, you did great my friend.  You may have done a half IM but you are a full ironman in my eyes.  You got sick and still kept going. You're a champ .... :-)

2005-08-12 4:29 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Luis, way to tough it out!
2005-08-12 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Great job... way to hang tough... I just did the 5430 HIM in Boulder and I know how it feels on the run when your nutrition goes wrong. I had 3 gels in my hand from start to finish and couldn't eat a single one. I wish I could have thrown up... but I haven't since kindergarten (seriously) - and that's the most interesting thing about me...

Anyway, that was a very solid HIM, in my opinion. Great work!

Edited by verve500 2005-08-12 4:50 PM
2005-08-13 12:08 AM

User image

Luis,

I had no idea that you posted your sub-6 hour HIM under these circumstances...Great job, man!  You have a few months to figure out some nutrition plans.  I take cliff bars on the bik...I take a bite at a time and kind of keep picking at them in my bento box.  Not sure if it would work for you, but it might be worth a try.  Great mental toughness and great report!

2005-08-13 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Excellent job Luis! Felicitaciones.

You cannot call a sub-6hr HIM a "poor performance" man!

I know you'll be so ready for your full IM.

Félix

2005-08-14 9:21 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Way to gut it out. You faced a tough situation and overcame the adversity with triathlete mentality that says "there is no stopping".
BTW if you want to see slow swimming just look at my logs
Working towards my first HIM in 2006. Your report is an inspiration to that goal. Thanks.

2005-08-14 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job   Despite the throwing up you were still really fast.  I hope you had a good time too.  take care -SMO
2005-08-14 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Luis, you didn't post the time, but I think you were right around a 5:48, which is an awesome time for your first HIM.  Great race!
2005-08-14 7:59 PM

Clinton Twp, MI
Wow, great story, great job! I'm going to use your performance as a target, mentally and physically.
2005-10-22 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Wow... great HIM... I am contemplating doing one this next summer ... this story albeit is gruelling.. but all in all it sounds like you did great.. especially in the swimming and biking...  Thanks for the story... 
2005-10-22 1:22 PM

User image

Elite

Great race report!  I planned on racing the Steelhead in 06'.  Thanks for the details.

2005-10-22 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
Brutal. It makes me want to vomit just thiking about it.
But often times, real life, when it happens, is more about how to finish in the face of adversity than about how fast or how good we look.
Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelhead Half-Ironman Rss Feed