General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top of foot pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-12 11:04 AM

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: Top of foot pain

I have had some mild discomfort on the top of my foot, precisely in the middle, for the past week. The past two days have gotten progressively worse. Follow your big toe to your ankle, stop in the middle, and thats were it hurts.

The last couple of days I've iced, I'm a big fan of RICE, but after I ice, it hurts more.

I've tried some quick searches online, but I haven't found anything.

Ideas? Suggestions? Anyone have pain here before? Point me in the right direction please.

2005-08-12 5:51 PM
in reply to: #223851

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Top of foot pain
Hi, I think that I had the same injury about a month before this years Boston Marathon.
It really sucked for me because it felt like a cramp in the area of the foot that you describe... I cut back my miles and rode my bike to maintain aerobic fitness (pre-tri days... strictly a runner then). That sort of helped but it bummed me out as I was attempting to break 3 hours in the marathon. It wasn't getting better so I bought new shoes and it helped immediately. What I found out was that the shoe laces were constricting my foot and I think it was irritating a nerve. Since then I have increased mileage and the injury has not returned. Also, you may check to see if your shoe laces are too tight.
BTW I did not break 3 hours in the Boston Marathon. I did run a PB though... 3:00:24...
2005-08-12 11:14 PM
in reply to: #223851

User image

Expert
WV
Subject: RE: Top of foot pain
I agree with looking at the shoe strings to see if it decreases the pain. The issue concerning me is the increased pain following icing. To clarify, is the pain on the top of the foot above the apex of the arch or is it in the middle of the foot right below the ankle? Can you remember what you did the day before or the day it started to hurt? I would also ask when does it hurt? Only when you run? When you run and bike? Does it bother you when walking? Does the pain ever go away? Is it always present? OK enough of the Spanish Inquisition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top of foot pain Rss Feed